1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Hall of Fame Announcement Thread***Allen IN-2013 class Post #9***

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Feb 2, 2013.

1. Gameover

Gameover Well-Known Member

2,929 Messages
    413 Likes Received
    There is no Cowboys bias...only in cowboys fans brains

only a cowboys fan could get 6 full time players in over a seven year stretch and then complain about a bias.

Haley will make it soon..cowboys fans will still whine bias
  2. KJJ

KJJ You Have an Axe to Grind

10,794 Messages
    867 Likes Received
    Must have been killing Rod Woodson having to sit next to Allen he hated the Cowboys.
  3. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,625 Messages
    1,571 Likes Received
    as usual you cherry pick your facts. Take a good hard look at the number of Steelers in from the 70's vs the number of boys in. And then look harder at those steelers vs the Boys who did not get in.

Swann vs Pearson for example
  4. Gameover

2,929 Messages
    413 Likes Received
    Swann made the plays in those superbowls, Pearson didn't.(I watched the '78 season SB, and Pearson was lousy in the game...So was Staubach)

How You think Reed and Brown feel seeing Michael Irvin in while they have to wait and they both have better numbers across the board.I bet they feel like Drew Pearson...

The 70's Cowboys should have won more.
  5. perrykemp

perrykemp Well-Known Member

5,676 Messages
    1,528 Likes Received
    There is probably some merit to this argument. It's the same reason why Cowboys fans don't complain Michael Irvin is in the HoF over Andre Reed -- Reed has better numbers however Irvin won 3 Superbowls and Reed lost 4 Superbowls.
  6. mldardy

mldardy Well-Known Member

6,675 Messages
    722 Likes Received
    No. He said he knows LA pretty well since both of their kids go to the same school.
  7. Gameover

2,929 Messages
    413 Likes Received
    How about Roger Craig?I think he should be in.

I think Gary Clark should be in.I believe he deserves it more than Monk.
  8. KJJ

10,794 Messages
    867 Likes Received
    As usual you don't know the facts the Steelers beat the Cowboys in both SB match ups during the 70's and dominated that decade winning 4 SB's in 6 years that's why their players got Hall of Fame nods over the Cowboys. Swann was voted in due to his SB performances primarily SB X. Pearson was better than Swann in my opinion but Swann came up big In SB's and Pearson didn't.
  9. perrykemp

perrykemp Well-Known Member

5,676 Messages
    1,528 Likes Received
    Roger Craig was a very unique player -- especially for his time, however, he only had 8100 yards rushing in 11 seasons -- with only 3 seasons above 1000 yards.

If you add his 4900 yards receiving, the case gets better. He is very borderline -- tough call.
  10. KJJ

10,794 Messages
    867 Likes Received
    Didn't know Allen and Woodson knew each other but I do know that Woodson use to dog the Cowboys all the time when he was an analyst on NFLN. Rich Eisen even made a comment to him after he criticized the Cowboys after a win that he didn't sound like a Cowboys fan and Woodson laughed and said you're right. He's still burning over that 95 SB loss.
  11. burmafrd

41,625 Messages
    1,571 Likes Received
    they beat us by 4 pts in each in games that went right up to the last minute.

But of course you didn't know that
  12. burmafrd

41,625 Messages
    1,571 Likes Received
    As Burger King puts it he belongs in the Hall of the VERY GOOD.
  13. percyhoward

percyhoward Research Tool

8,407 Messages
    2,318 Likes Received
    I'm all for the SB argument, but why doesn't it work for Chuck Howley?
  14. Kilyin

Kilyin Well-Known Member

8,041 Messages
    244 Likes Received
    And in the reverse, why is Cris Carter being put in the Hall of Fame at all (especially over some of the other candidates)? To put it as some of his haters would, Carter is the Tony Romo of receivers... very good player, puts up flashy numbers, but zero rings, and as they'd say, zero substance.
  15. percyhoward

8,407 Messages
    2,318 Likes Received
    That's the classic, lazy argument.

The problem with that sweeping statement is that it sweeps deserving players like Howley and Harris under the rug, and leaves no room for players like Pearson and Martin in the discussion.

The "they should have won more" argument is also revisionist history. In 1980, the year Cliff Harris retired, the 70's Cowboys had evidently won enough to make him one of the top 10 vote-getters for the HOF's All-Decade Team. They'd also apparently won enough to put Pearson on the 1st team and Martin on the 2nd team.

The people who saw these players play and wrote and talked about them in their prime ought to know.
  16. KJJ

10,794 Messages
    867 Likes Received
    It doesn't matter how much they won by the fact is they won and went on to win 2 more SB's after that. The 70's Steelers are the only team in NFL history to win back to back SB's twice. That was a more dominate team than the Cowboys had in the 90's. Our 90's players are being voted into the HOF and the championships those players were apart of have a lot to do with it.

Aikman would have never been voted into the HOF had it not been for his 3 SB rings. He didn't have HOF numbers it was the 3 championships that got him in. It's always a pleasure filling you in on the facts. :toast:
  17. KJJ

10,794 Messages
    867 Likes Received
    Probably because Howley's prime years were spent on some pretty bad Cowboy teams in the early to mid 60's as well as teams that were coming up short to the Packers another team with a lot of Hall of Famers due to championships. Howley was only part of one championship (SB VI) and although he was named SB MVP in SB V that was an awfully played game in which the Cowboys lost.

You know a game is bad when a player on the losing end gets named MVP. He was a very good player but spent too many years on bad teams and teams that were coming up short. His omission from the HOF certainly isn't because of any bias against him or the Cowboys.
  18. percyhoward

8,407 Messages
    2,318 Likes Received
    So, the guy who got two picks, recovered a fumble, and was named MVP, and who is the all-time leader in SB takeaways, and who was AP 1st Team All-Pro five times isn't getting HOF recognition because Super Bowl V was a bad game for the offenses?

You should be on the selection committee.
  19. KJJ

10,794 Messages
    867 Likes Received
    Where did I say that??? :rolleyes: Try reading my post instead of putting a ridiculous spin on it. Howley started his career in 1958 with the Bears and spent his prime years In Dallas on some real bad Cowboy teams. When the team became competitive they kept coming up short in championship games. There were a lot of great players during the 60's and early 70's especially at LB. There's many LB's who had great careers who have yet to be elected to the HOF.

Maxie Baughan was a 9 time pro bowler. Robert Brazile was a Defensive Rookie of the Year, seven-time Pro Bowler and All-Decade selection in the '70s. Kevin Greene who currently ranks third all-time in sacks has yet to get in. Andy Russell went to 7 pro bowls on some great Steelers championship teams and he isn't in the HOF. Randy Gradishar anchored the "Orange Crush" defense in the late '70s and he's not in the HOF. Dave Robinson who won three NFL championships with the Packers is a 2013 HOF inductee. It took all these years for him to get in.

There's been a wealth of talent at the LB position over the years and had Howley been apart of some great teams that weren't always coming up short he might have been voted in. I haven't been following your posts but it appears your theme like others is there's a bias against the Cowboys which is ridiculous or they wouldn't have as many players in the HOF as they do. Aikman certainly wouldn't have gotten in with his less than stellar numbers if their was a bias against the Cowboys and Irvin would be still waiting with his drug and infidelity issues that plagued him off the field.
  20. percyhoward

8,407 Messages
    2,318 Likes Received
    You can try reading it and see if you come away with a different impression:
    "Although he was named SB MVP in SB V, that was an awfully played game in which the Cowboys lost."

It sure sounds like you're trying to say that Howley's MVP performance is somehow diminished or overlooked because he was on the losing team, and because the defenses outplayed the offenses. I don't get your logic. Those two facts are so unusual for Super Bowls that they should actually draw attention to Howley's performance.

More bizarre logic, which I'll address (and compare Howley to the players you listed) when I have more time.

I'll let my sig speak for itself in the meantime.