1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Happy Father's Day~~

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by Deb, Jun 18, 2006.

1. Deb

Deb Zoner

213 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    [IMG]
    [IMG]to everyone in here~

The History

Father’s Day is celebrated in the 3rd Sunday in June. The idea for creating a day for children to honor their fathers began in Spokane, Washington. A woman by the name of Sonora Smart Dodd thought of the idea for Father's Day while listening to a Mother's Day sermon in 1909. Having been raised by her father, Henry Jackson Smart, after her mother died, Sonora wanted her father to know how special he was to her. It was her father that made all the parental sacrifices and was, in the eyes of his daughter, a courageous, selfless, and loving man. Sonora's father was born in June, so she chose to hold the first [FONT=Arial,verdana,Helvetica,sans-serif][FONT=Arial,verdana,Helvetica,sans-serif]Father's [/FONT][FONT=Arial,verdana,Helvetica,sans-serif]Day [/FONT][FONT=Arial,verdana,Helvetica,sans-serif]celebration[/FONT][/FONT] in Spokane, Washington on the 19th of June, 1910.
    In 1924 President Calvin Coolidge proclaimed the third Sunday in June as Father's Day. President Nixon, in 1972, established a permanent national observance of Father's Day to be held on the third Sunday of June. So Father's Day was born as a token of love and gratitude that a daughter cherishes for her beloved father. Roses are the [FONT=Arial,verdana,Helvetica,sans-serif][FONT=Arial,verdana,Helvetica,sans-serif]Father's [/FONT][FONT=Arial,verdana,Helvetica,sans-serif]Day [/FONT][FONT=Arial,verdana,Helvetica,sans-serif]flowers[/FONT][/FONT]: red to be worn for a living father and white if the father has died.

Father's Day Quotes~

"It doesn't matter who my father was; it matters who I remember he was." -- Anne Sexton

"To be a successful father . . . there's one absolute rule: when you have a kid, don't look at it for the first two years." -- Ernest Hemingway

"I watched a small man with thick calluses on both hands work fifteen and sixteen hours a day. I saw him once literally bleed from the bottoms of his feet, a man who came here uneducated, alone, unable to speak the language, who taught me all I needed to know about faith and hard work by the simple eloquence of his example." -- Mario Cuomo

"If the new American father feels bewildered and even defeated, let him take comfort from the fact that whatever he does in any fathering situation has a fifty percent chance of being right." -- Bill Cosby
  2. ConcordCowboy

ConcordCowboy Mr. Buckeye

12,747 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Happy Fathers Day Dad!

No one could have a Better Father than You!
  3. Bob Sacamano

Bob Sacamano Benched

57,073 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    to be considered a father, does that mean you have to know how many children you've actually fathered? hehe

anyways, happy dad's day to all you real dads out there
  4. ka0tik

ka0tik DALLAS

2,883 Messages
    58 Likes Received
    Happy Fathers day!! Wish all you dads' a wonderfull day!! heres a lil' sumthing For my dad, just writting this off my mind right now...

Ur always by my side
    Even when I need a shoulder to cry
    have shown me so many things
    Shown me to fight for wut I want
    even when you send me to mow the lawn (hehe)
    youre my father, ur my best friend.
    no one else will ever take that spot and contend.
    trully wish you the best on this day.
    and to have you by me forever, i pray.

:) sumthing special ...
  5. Bob Sacamano

Bob Sacamano Benched

57,073 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    :eek:

that was good for off the top of the dome
  6. the kid 05

the kid 05 Individuals play the game, but teams beat the odds

9,541 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    r.i.p. pops

hope your keeping a cold one for me :)

love tim
  7. SuspectCorner

SuspectCorner Bromo

7,730 Messages
    108 Likes Received
    happy fathead's day.

we get to live and interact with the little people that we love above all others - and they give us a day in our honor on top of that.

it's like stealing....

thank you, God.
  8. ka0tik

ka0tik DALLAS

2,883 Messages
    58 Likes Received
    Thank You...:)
  9. Star Struck

Star Struck New Member

144 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Nicely said!
  10. Yeagermeister

Yeagermeister Active Member

47,576 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    Happy fathers day too all the Zone fathers
  11. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

35,176 Messages
    2,021 Likes Received
    Happy Father Day everyone. Hope it's a great one for one and all.
  12. adbutcher

adbutcher K9NME

10,714 Messages
    352 Likes Received
    Happy fathers day to all the CowboyZone fathers and those mothers who are both mother and father to their children.
  13. RW Hitman

RW Hitman Well-Known Member

2,556 Messages
    68 Likes Received
    yes, happy Father's Day to all dads here.
  14. Calicowboy

Calicowboy New Member

520 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Here here...Happy father's day to all on the Zone!!
  15. 5Stars

5Stars Here comes the Sun...

26,722 Messages
    1,809 Likes Received
    Yeah, Happy Fathers Day...you muthers! :)

:star:
  16. CrazyCowboy

CrazyCowboy Well-Known Member

32,183 Messages
    162 Likes Received
  17. Bizwah

Bizwah Well-Known Member

5,980 Messages
    214 Likes Received
    Thanks.....my kids got me a "Super Dad" shirt, a Tiger Woods golf game (PS2), and breakfast in bed.

But the greatest Father's Day I had was 8 years ago. My daughter was born on Father's Day. She was my first child. I'll never forget the Dr holding her up after my wife delivered saying, "Happy Father's Day!".

That was cool.....and I never tire of the story.
  18. Big D

Big D Well-Known Member

2,273 Messages
    122 Likes Received
    Heres to Fathers everywhere!

:toast2:

Happy Fathers day!