1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Has anybody ever read this book?

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by Maikeru-sama, Jun 13, 2008.

1. Maikeru-sama

Maikeru-sama Mick Green 58

14,547 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I was listening to Talk Radio the other day and they had the author of the book "The Leaders We Deserved (and a Few We Didn't)". It sounded pretty like a pretty good read, but I just wanted to see if some folks on here had read it.

amazon
  2. The30YardSlant

The30YardSlant Benched

24,279 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Yeah, it's a pretty good read. It absolutely rips Carter to shreds and actually casts a more positive light on Bush's presidency and explains that, while he flubbed many things up, most of what he is blamed for was either out of his hands or unavoidable all together.

It's not extremely biased one way or the other
  3. SuspectCorner

SuspectCorner Bromo

7,743 Messages
    117 Likes Received

Most Helpful Customer Reviews

8 of 10 people found the following review helpful:
    New Analysis Yields Brilliant Insight , May 29, 2008
    By Wise Economist (Falls Church, Virginia, USA) - See all my reviews

Dr. Felzenberg creates a new and useful methodology for rating U.S. Presidents. Instead of one single grade as in previous surveys, he rates presidents on six criteria. The first three are internal characteristics that each president carries into the Oval Office: character, competence, and vision. The second three reflect presidential accomplishments: economics, protection of liberty and human rights, and defense and international affairs.

Felzenberg uses his methodology masterfully to provide his readers with concise, intriguing, and often amusing portraits of all Presidents (except William H. Harrison, James A. Garfield, and George W. Bush). Felzenberg weaves recent economic and historical research into his vignettes to provide readers with new and sometimes surprising insights into many Presidents.

For example, Felzenberg demonstrates that Ulysses S. Grant deserves a far higher rating, especially for his protection of the rights of the freedmen, than most historians have granted him. At the same time, Felzenberg convincingly proves that although Andrew Jackson was an extremely competent in achieving his policy objectives, his economic policies and his disregard for human rights were very damaging to the United States.

Felzenberg brilliantly peers into the complex personalities of Lincoln, Wilson, both Roosevelts, Nixon, and Reagan. Unlike many other historians, Felzenberg's analyses of the economic policies and results of the Presidents are well grounded in sound economic reasoning and indisputable facts.

This is a hard book to put down. Every reader will learn a great deal about the men who have served in the White House. Some readers may disagree with some of Felzenberg's grades for certain Presidents in one of the six criteria or another. However, all of Felzenberg's judgments are objective and based on thorough research. In summary, this thought-provoking book is a must buy and read.

http://www.amazon.com/Leaders-Deserved-Few-Didnt-Presidential/dp/0465002919

So... you really enjoyed the book, huh?
  4. Maikeru-sama

14,547 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    HH may have been referring to Bush Sr., not sure.

The station I was listing was 1160, The Voice of Texans, which is Conservative, so I wanted to find out if it was biased or not.
  5. SuspectCorner

SuspectCorner Bromo

7,743 Messages
    117 Likes Received
    I have little doubt that will be his story. First revision.
  6. Maikeru-sama

14,547 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    :lmao2:
  7. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,858 Messages
    1,698 Likes Received
    Of course Suspect would say that - if it turns out to be true his whole life is over.
  8. SuspectCorner

SuspectCorner Bromo

7,743 Messages
    117 Likes Received
    I am as equally adept at being wrong as your are.

I just have to work at it a lot harder than you do.
  9. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,858 Messages
    1,698 Likes Received
    Actually I doubt you have to work at it at all. seems natural.
  10. SuspectCorner

SuspectCorner Bromo

7,743 Messages
    117 Likes Received
    You're only a beat or two behind.... ;)