1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Has anyone else noticed how bad Witten has played?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by CowboysBravesSpurs, Nov 11, 2013.

1. CowboysBravesSpurs

CowboysBravesSpurs Member

81 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Witten has been playing this year? He's only had 3 good games this year, week 1, 5, & 9. He's been getting slower over the years but now it just seems like he can't create any separation between him & a defender. He's looking so sluggish & dropping so many balls.. How many more years do you think Witten has left in him?
  2. Pessimist_cowboy

Pessimist_cowboy Well-Known Member

2,345 Messages
    784 Likes Received
    Yes I have . He looks old and his heart is still in it but his body is giving out . I've given up on ware and witten .
  3. CowboysBravesSpurs

81 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I still have faith in Ware but Witten is looking bad...
  4. Sarge

Sarge Happy Holidays Staff Member

21,093 Messages
    1,940 Likes Received
    I love Witten but he looks like he is running nowadays with a body full of arthritis - SLOW. We need speed at that position now - with all due respect to Witten.
    khiladi and JonJon like this.
  5. CowboyMcCoy

CowboyMcCoy Business is a Boomin

12,749 Messages
    234 Likes Received
    He has about 2-3 years left. Not quite the year he had last year. I wonder if Romo is still determined to retire when Witten does.
  6. perrykemp

perrykemp Well-Known Member

6,108 Messages
    1,882 Likes Received
    He looked great last week. This week not so much.
  7. CopenhagenCowboy

CopenhagenCowboy Active Member

944 Messages
    97 Likes Received
    He is what he is. Someone with great stats thanks to Romo looking his way for an entire career. His type of TE is on the decline.
  8. bbailey423

bbailey423 Well-Known Member

5,021 Messages
    597 Likes Received
    Teams will GLADLY allow Witten to beat them. I think they showed a stat last night that Romo to Witten is the #1 QB to TE combo of all time. But that was based on completions. Because you know...scoring points is not the objective. /sarcasm off
    Gameover and khiladi like this.
  9. Sarge

Sarge Happy Holidays Staff Member

21,093 Messages
    1,940 Likes Received
    He had a great career indeed but he has slowed to a crawl. Why Romo (over the years) continuously threw 5 yard passes to Witten when they needed 8 yards will always make me scratch my head. Witten was a great player, but I hope we don't make the mistake of keeping him on too long. My guess is we absolutely will.
    pjtoadie and ufcrules1 like this.
  10. KB1122

KB1122 Well-Known Member

1,386 Messages
    308 Likes Received
    As I said in the other threads, we need to target Hanna more and reduce the targets to WItten but make them more effective, But Romo's psychological reliance on Witten is going to make that hard.
  11. HowAboutThemCowboys

HowAboutThemCowboys Well-Known Member

3,151 Messages
    727 Likes Received
    We should draft a TE in the second round to help out........oh wait
    khiladi and pjtoadie like this.
  12. Future

Future Intramural Legend

16,534 Messages
    1,801 Likes Received
    This offense would be more explosive if they took Witten off the field from time to time.

Tony would have no choice but to go elsewhere
    khiladi likes this.
  13. Hook'em#11

Hook'em#11 Well-Known Member

2,768 Messages
    272 Likes Received
    Did you actually watch last night? LOL... Faith in Ware, but not Witten? wow.

I think I heard Ware's name mentioned once, when Collinsworth said they need to get him outta the game. . LOL.. Obviously he isn't 100%, but, still, it wasn't going to make one lick of difference..

I don't have any favorites on this team. Don't care who goes. I just want this team to get better. And, something has to change.

Course, as long as the money still is rolling in. Jerry could care less how this team is playing and how it is so not being coached at all.
    djmajestik, khiladi and Bigdog24 like this.
  14. CowboysBravesSpurs

81 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Ware still has the tools to compete. At least he's not slowed down to the point where he's not effective anymore. Would much rather have Ware than , Crawford, or Wilber. Whether you like it or not, he's still the best D lineman we have. I'm sure a lot of teams wish they had a D-ware type player.
  15. bbailey423

bbailey423 Well-Known Member

5,021 Messages
    597 Likes Received
    been saying it since MartyB arrived. Witten never comes off the field. Which makes it pointless for us to keep drafting TEs in the 2nd round. Someone in this organization is gutless. Someone saw the wisdom in drafting a TE in the 2nd TWICE since Garrett took over this offense. But then someone does not have the guts to yank WItten off the field. Just like someone did not have the guts to MAKE Ratliff move to DE. Serious question...who is calling the shots in Dallas?
    khiladi likes this.
  16. Dcowboy84

Dcowboy84 Well-Known Member

1,144 Messages
    110 Likes Received
    he got our only sack of the game and blasted Brees in the back on the swing pass TD....and with one leg he was the only player getting any actual pass rush.

no he was not near 100%...but he wasn't invisible the whole game.
    Boyzmamacita likes this.
  17. Deep_Freeze

Deep_Freeze Well-Known Member

6,661 Messages
    125 Likes Received
    And people wonder why we drafted Escobar.

Should be rather obvious really, but sometimes people just fall in love with players too much.....I care more about the star than any player on this team.

With that said, Witten has a few good years left, but not as the main option he has been. His snaps need to be limited to allow some youth infusion into the position group that can get some real separation to give Romo larger windows to throw into.

Witten isn't done, but his time as a #1 option in this offense is done.
  18. Hook'em#11

Hook'em#11 Well-Known Member

2,768 Messages
    272 Likes Received
    I think so too. So, it's time for him to get healthy and trade him to a team that has an actual shot of getting to the Bowl. He deserves that much. IMO.
  19. rat2k8

rat2k8 Active Member

783 Messages
    243 Likes Received
    Those 1 yard passes are really tough to catch.
    Boyzmamacita and khiladi like this.
  20. Super_Kazuya

Super_Kazuya Well-Known Member

1,890 Messages
    998 Likes Received
    I guess it's a perception thing. It feels like he has caught maybe 10 passes all year but he is on pace for 75 catches and his yards per catch and touchdowns are about where they have always been. The catches are only a bit low if you throw out last year's anomaly, but his targets are way down. He doesn't control where the ball goes.
    Not saying any of that is a complete report on how he is actually doing, but I would guess at the end of the year our 75 catch TE is not going to be viewed as a problem by our "braintrust" and he will again be trotted out there.