1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Has Fred Thompson impressed anyone yet?

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by BrAinPaiNt, Oct 15, 2007.

1. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

59,789 Messages
    2,859 Likes Received
    I was wondering if Fred has impressed anyone yet? He has not impressed me much and it seems like he is either making a gaff or just not doing well in live situations.

I guess Danny is the one who is firmly behind Thompson and I wonder if he has faltered any in his eyes.
  2. Danny White

Danny White Winter is Coming

12,345 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    His campaign has been tremendously poor up to this point.

I was at an event two weeks ago where all the Republican candidates spoke one after the other. Thompson was, without a doubt, the worst speaker there. He was constantly having these awkward pauses and searching for the right word, and then he'd end up using most boring, unoriginal way to phrase it. He had no bold ideas. Just very very disappointing.

I don't want to get into some other things, but suffice it to say that his campaign seems to be run very poorly.

Add on to that the fact that he seems to be a very lazy campaigner. I just read an article today about him canceling some event in N.H. and that he hasn't visited the state hardly at all since he's announced. That's not how you win elections. You have to work your arse off.

He's still doing OK in the polls, and I prefer him to the alternative (in my mind Rudy or Hillary) but I'm running out of hope here in 2008.

I just don't see any other alternatives. I like Ron Paul, and he's running an amazing underdog effort, but him winning the nomination is an impossibility. The only other possibility is maybe Romney, and that's a stretch. And I really don't think I trust him as far as his convictions go.

It's all very depressing. Hillary is our next President... we're in for a long 4 years. :(
  3. Mavs Man

Mavs Man All outta bubble gum

4,668 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Ah, an optimist.
  4. Ben_n_austin

Ben_n_austin Benched

2,898 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    It's been a tremendously long 7 years. I think most would agree at this point. As much as I don't like Hitlary, she's a delight in comparison to the goon we have now.
  5. VA Cowboy

VA Cowboy Benched

1,858 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Actually, Bush was a breath of fresh air after 8 years of Clinton.
  6. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

59,789 Messages
    2,859 Likes Received
    A breath of fresh air that quickly turned into a fart.:laugh2:
  7. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

18,856 Messages
    859 Likes Received
    lol, no doubt.

if Bill's 8 years were bad then good grief then what has the past 7 been?

If bill is in level 1 of hell, qeorge w is in the section with demonic sodomy. :laugh2:
  8. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

18,856 Messages
    859 Likes Received
    I almost wonder if Thompson was really just running as a favor to Hillary. Seriously.

He's splintering the Repub ticket a bit but is definitely not trying to win. Perhaps he is merely trying to up his profile for better paying acting gigs....

He has no shot at all.

Lobbyist and ex-Nixon aide are like Jim Jones koolaid to a campaign.
  9. dcdallaschick

dcdallaschick Member

310 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    Seems to me like Fred a brass-tacks kind of guy who doesn't give a crap about—or has any patience for—any of the trappings of campaigning, and is having some problems acting like he does (ironic, no?). He'd probably prefer to just release a statement containing all the positions he's for and against, and refer people to that, rather than the constant speechifying and saying the same things over and over again. I know I would.

While that's the thing that makes me like him as a candidate, it probably won't bode well for his campaign.
  10. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

18,856 Messages
    859 Likes Received
    The problem is that is politics. Not just in the campaigning phase either.

Presidents lead extraordinarily busy lives and spend hours upon hours doing inane policy presentation and salesmanship. Very little is fun or exciting about all this diplomacy and bill passage nonsense. Being a politician would suck. But Thompson has spent years in the Washington machine and can hardly claim to be an outsider. He is a political lifer.

Thompson can barely stay awake through his own speeches and is sweating like a mule after a 15 minute speech. He is coming off more and more like a typical prima donna actor than a hard-working no nonsense politician. Guess on the tv show they are good with editing. :)
  11. Danny White

Danny White Winter is Coming

12,345 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Good take... you should post in the PZ more often.

One of the appeals of Fred going in was that he was going to be a good communicator of our ideas, much in the tradition of Reagan. So that's one of the reasons I'm disappointed thus far. His communication ability has been much less than advertised.

Still, he's solid on the issues and I think if he gets his act together, he can vastly improve on message delivery. Maybe he's just trying to lower his expectations bar and then blow everyone away later on when everyone starts paying more attention.
  12. Duane

Duane Active Member

6,875 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    I read an article about a month or so ago and it talked about Thompson being a little lazy. Sounds like DW just backed that up. It's a shame really because other than Ron Paul he's the only other Republican I'd think about voting for.
  13. Ben_n_austin

Ben_n_austin Benched

2,898 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    Jterrell--

That's on the friggin' money. . . .
  14. jman

jman Active Member

1,765 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I really liked him on Law and Order...that should count for something...right?

Seriously, I would vote for him if I could learn more about him and his stance. But he always seems to be an after thought when discussing the canidates.

The one think I like about Bush is right or wrong, he stand besides his decissions and beliefs. The single most annoying thing about the Demicrats...I change my under where less ofter then they change their minds.

But like Lewis Black said...Republicans; a party of bad ideas. The Demicrats; a party of no ideas.
  15. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

18,856 Messages
    859 Likes Received
    I love Lewis Black.
    It's sad so much of what he says is reality as opposed to just comedy.