1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Has there ever been a QB as unclutch?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by juck, Dec 31, 2012.

1. DWhite Fan

DWhite Fan It ain't over 'til it's over

5,399 Messages
    364 Likes Received
    Nope, cause Orton is just as INT prone. He has proved that time and again...
  2. TheCoolFan

TheCoolFan Well-Known Member

7,334 Messages
    275 Likes Received
    If the Cowboys were making the NFC Championship game and just falling short then I'd give the QB a free pass. Like Favre would always run into the Cowboys and could never win until Dallas was out of the Packers' path.

But Romo...we're talking about the final game of the season to just get in the playoffs :laugh1:
  3. Super_Kazuya

Super_Kazuya Well-Known Member

1,882 Messages
    996 Likes Received
    LOL, I thought this was about "clutch" games, not regular season performance. You can't seem to make up your mind. Again, your hero Troy sucked in these exact type of games. No matter what exceptions you throw out it doesn't change that the vast majority of quarterbacks don't win these types of games.

I'll say it again since you didn't hear me: your hero Troy sucked in these types of games!
  4. Disturbed

Disturbed A Mere Flesh Wound

1,448 Messages
    5 Likes Received

It is like living the movie "groundhog day"....big final game to decide season every year....same result.
  5. JoeyBoy718

JoeyBoy718 Well-Known Member

4,389 Messages
    1,785 Likes Received
    Troy isn't my hero. I find it pointless to compare players to players of the past. I just gave you a few examples. Want more? Wasn't Eli's win in the conference championship last year in San Francisco? Weren't his two games against the Cowboys and Packers in his first Super Bowl run on the road? Weren't all 3 of Big Ben's and Rodgers's games on the road when they won th Super Bowl as the 6 seed? In Brady's first Super Bowl run he beat the Steelers in Pittsburgh on the road in the conference championship. He beat the Steelers in Pittsburgh on the road again in his 3rd Super Bowl run. Peyton won a game on the road in Baltimore during his Super Bowl run. As you see, I'm only including Super Bowl runs. These QBs have won a lot more road playoff games in seasons their team didnt win the Super Bowl.

And correction: All 3 of Eli's games in his first Super Bowl run were on the road because they were the 5 seed.
  6. Rynie

Rynie Benched

4,606 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Ware didn't throw 3 picks last night. Yes, it's a team game, but ROMO is the reason we lost last night. Not ware, or hatcher, or spears. ROMO.
  7. chinch

chinch No Quarter

3,596 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Romo might just be the most unclutch upper-level QB in history. Romo is not elite but he's upper middle of the pack who plays down in big spots. For a guy who puts up big numbers there has imho never been such a QB who has even more failures and chokes in big... HUGE... spots.

McNabb is #2. He was upper-level but no way elite.

Favre is probably #3 (remember his games vs the Boys in the 90s) but his Superbowl win gives a free pass to rest of his career-filled bone-headed plays ala vs the NYG in his last playoff debacle. He was never elite but stats and a strong arm fool people into ignoring his stupid play.

Tarkenton #4

Eli's brother could be #5

FWIW Danny White was a choke-artist also but got deeper into the playoffs against notably better teams. But he was a similar type of player to Tony and also a decent/nice guy, just lacking the killer instinct and ability to improve in the clutch. Ultimately White & Romo are non-elite "good" QBs but unfortunately who fail in the clutch.
  8. Super_Kazuya

1,882 Messages
    996 Likes Received
    My thing is, it's not about defending Tony as we all can see he did not play well. It's about avoiding having to be in this situation all of the time. Troy has a great playoff record because his teams steamrolled through the regular season and got to play mostly home games on their way to 3 Super Bowls. He never had to be "clutch" on the road in an impossible week 17 situation year after year. The Cowboys have just got to be better all around. To sit here and be mad at a guy because he had an off game in an 8-8 year is stupid. Let Tony play like this as the #1 seed and as I said before, I'll be right there with the pitchforks (and no, he wasn't anywhere close to this bad in 2007).
  9. JoeyBoy718

4,389 Messages
    1,785 Likes Received
    Dude, stop talking about 20 years ago. Look at the supposed elite QBs of today. They all won playoff games on the road. Rodgers, Ben, Eli, Peyton, Brady, Bree's, all did. In fact, Ben, Eli and Rodgers had to win 3 playoff games on the road to make the Super Bowl in all of their first Super Bowl runs. So stop talking about irrelevant Troy Aikman.
  10. respectdatstar

respectdatstar Member

685 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Vince Carter? The NBA player?
  11. Super_Kazuya

1,882 Messages
    996 Likes Received
    No they have not won "a lot" more. Only a dozen or so QBs in history have ever won even more than 2. Again, you picking out exceptions does not change the fact that the overwhelming number of quarterbacks do not win these games, and that most play poorly in them even when they do win. Marino was 1-6 in road elimination games, Young was 0-3, Aikman was 1-4, Peyton is 2-5. All played poorly. I can keep going, while you'll run out of your exceptions quick.

Again, you just can't wrap your brain around the fact that these games are hard to win. You think Romo should be 5-0 in these games instead of 0-5. That's of course rolling with the ridiculous notion that Romo is a starting pitcher anyway and he "wins" and "loses" games.
  12. Super_Kazuya

1,882 Messages
    996 Likes Received
    Brees has not won a road playoff game. You're just making up stuff now. Do some research, you have no credibility.
  13. JoeyBoy718

4,389 Messages
    1,785 Likes Received
    Research? I'm doing research right now on the QBs considered elite. I've only finished two so far, Brady and Eli. Brady is 2-2 in road playoff games and Eli is 5-0. I'll let you know more when I finish.
  14. KJJ

KJJ You Have an Axe to Grind

11,908 Messages
    1,211 Likes Received
    Only a few weeks ago a thread was started about how clutch Romo is. FANS went on and on about how clutch he is. :cool:
  15. Super_Kazuya

1,882 Messages
    996 Likes Received
    Could you also include the QBs on the same level as Romo? I don't trust you to be able to define elite with all of the cherry picking you do. The Matt Ryans, Rivers, Schaubs need to be in there too.
  16. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,643 Messages
    1,479 Likes Received
    The guy is what he is. better than a bus driver but cant carry a team.
  17. JoeyBoy718

4,389 Messages
    1,785 Likes Received
    Update: Rodgers is 3-1 in road playoff games. And i know Ben has at least 3 road playoff wins because he won 3 in one postseason. My point is, compare Romo to the elite QBs of today since people want to call Romo elite. QBs have to win games on the road nowadays. Also, your argument is stupid because Romo has been better on the road this season. He has 1 playoff win, can't win meaningful games at home or on the road, and the competition around him just keeps getting better. The majority of the QBs in the playoffs are young. It's a new age. Romo is turning 33 and hasn't proved he's a winner yet. These other guys already had rings by the time they were 33. How much longer are you going to put your faith in Romo?
  18. Blackspider214

Blackspider214 Well-Known Member

2,659 Messages
    966 Likes Received
    Can the Danny White comparisons please stop? He led the Cowboys to 3 straight NFC title games. Romo has won 1 lousy playoff game. I'd kill for 3 straight opportunities at a chance to go to the Super Bowl.

Romo is nowhere near White's level.
  19. fifaguy

fifaguy Well-Known Member

4,865 Messages
    971 Likes Received
    he did some heavy lifting this year. but, if one judges solely by yesterday's performance, the bottom line is not pretty.
  20. CanadianCowboysFan

CanadianCowboysFan Lightning Rod

15,618 Messages
    408 Likes Received
    Danny White?