1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Has there ever been a QB as unclutch?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by juck, Dec 31, 2012.

1. DMAC

DMAC Member

285 Messages
    14 Likes Received
    You just lost ANY credibility you MIGHT have had with that "fact". Just curious as to where you pulled that number from?

Some of you children.
  2. JimboWHO

JimboWHO Benched

24 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Romo can tee off first while Eli takes his rings off and puts them safely in his pocket.

JAM
  3. JoeyBoy718

JoeyBoy718 Well-Known Member

3,839 Messages
    1,438 Likes Received
    A QB only gets about 10 years to make a legacy for himself. Some QBs build a legacy of consistency. They consistently put up great numbers and have their team in the playoffs. Peyton is like this in my opinion. He always has MVP caliber seasons and gets his team a high-seed in the playoffs. Unfortunately, he's only won 1 Super Bowl. Other QBs weren't consistent but had a few great runs in their careers--Eli and Ben are like this to me. My point is, regardless of if you're a consistent stat-gainer or had a few glimpses of brilliance in your career, you HAVE TO DO SOMETHING to make the people remember you by. Romo has never done anything. He puts up good numbers during the regular season, chokes in key moments, and has his team playing .500 ball year in year out. That's his legacy.
  4. percyhoward

percyhoward Research Tool

8,139 Messages
    1,796 Likes Received
    Who really knows? He played well in the one playoff win, and he has been outstanding in December and January the last three seasons.

He's already had the best year of any QB on a team that didn't have a winning record or go to the playoffs. That was last year.

This year, despite playing on a team with only three playoff appearances and one playoff win, he had his 6th consecutive Top 10 season in passer rating. There's no other QB in the history of football who has a record resembling that. In fact, now there are only 8 quarterbacks who have ever had more consecutive top 10 seasons than Romo: Their names are Montana, Manning, Brady, Dawson, Fouts, Young, Graham, and Griese.

So he has put himself in some elite company with his regular season performances, and in doing so, has elevated what have typically been otherwise bad teams into win-or-go-home positions where both he and his team have been hit-and-miss.
  5. muck4doo

muck4doo Well-Known Member

1,950 Messages
    53 Likes Received
    That's where the gnats also put their season, despite Mara trying to cheat the Cowboys and Redskins with his spirit stuff. Have fun in Eli's pocket.
  6. JoeyBoy718

JoeyBoy718 Well-Known Member

3,839 Messages
    1,438 Likes Received
    I don't like when people compare stats of today's QBs to yesteryear's. The game has totally changed and those stats are skewed in comparison. Nowadays, non-elite QBs pass for 5,000 yards (Stafford last season) and QBs who aren't that impressive when you watch them are posting 100+ QB ratings (RGIII). You have to compare QBs to the other QBs of today. Romo puts up numbers in the top quartile of the league's starting QBs. He consistently has his team playing at or around .500 ball. He's had some clutch performances and he's also had some historically un-clutch moments. Maybe you could argue statistically he's a top 8-10 QB. But he's definitely not a top 5 QB. And only 12 teams a year make the playoffs, so top 8-10 puts you in the Wildcard position. Romo is not elite, but he's still a good QB, and his clutch-factor is definitely in question. It is what it is.
  7. JimboWHO

JimboWHO Benched

24 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Yup, good enough to get you into big games and bad enough to lose 'em for you.

For all his fancy numbers playing 8 games a year in your friendly stadium, the big game, big stage face plants will haunt the franchise forever.

JJM
  8. JimboWHO

JimboWHO Benched

24 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    The guy who uncovered Jerry's cheating is accused of 'cheating' !

Silly Cowboy fan logic.

Take your medicine like a man.

JJM
  9. muck4doo

1,950 Messages
    53 Likes Received
    Cheated what? Mara's make believe spirits? :giants:
  10. btcutter

btcutter Well-Known Member

2,651 Messages
    155 Likes Received
    Let say for the sake of argument that we won last night and made it to the playoffs.

Next week comes Seattle who will probably beat us. They simply have a much better team especially with our JV defense out there and no starting WRs.

Romo still would have not won a playoff game. And he still would be crucified.

If fact, let's say we get lucky and got past Seattle and end up playing "put team name here" and losses. Romo still would not be clutch and still would be crucified again.

Fact is unless Romo actually wins a SB, he will always be.....just another QB.
  11. kirkjrk

kirkjrk Active Member

905 Messages
    38 Likes Received
    Probably told him it was best if he retired ASAP.
  12. PA Cowboy Fan

PA Cowboy Fan Well-Known Member

1,763 Messages
    1,187 Likes Received
    Yea but I'd feel a lot better about Romo if he beat Washington and Seattle. It gives you something to look forward to next year. These boneheaded plays he always does just brings you down. You doubt he'll ever get it. At least winning 2 elimination games would have been progress after the last few years.
  13. muck4doo

1,950 Messages
    53 Likes Received
    To any more Gnats fans that want to post their foolishness in here. Who is the bigger choker? The guy who got his team playing for the division championship, but lost with a bad interception in the 4th quarter after going 3-5? OR. The guy who had a 6-2 record halfway into the season with a 3 game lead, but at the end couldn't even get his team playing for the division championship and had no chance at it?
  14. percyhoward

percyhoward Research Tool

8,139 Messages
    1,796 Likes Received
    Those were rankings, so there is no problem comparing across eras.

Unless you're trying to say it's easier to rank among the top 10 passers now than it was in the 70's for some reason. It's actually harder, because there are more teams and more QB.
  15. Clove

Clove Shrinkage

38,040 Messages
    1,236 Likes Received
    Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Fool me for 6 or 7 years, then I deserve to be a miserable clueless fan who still wants you to continue fooling me.

You ever see Romo in the pro bowl? He was horrible, embarrassing. And he had a superior cast around him. Yet others were good.

You can put the 85 bears defense, and the 1980s San Fran offense around Romo and he would still choke. Romo is a habitual choker, he's a stat king, except when he's playing against great teams who know how to game-plan.

You blitz Payton Manning, you may as well get ready for the kickoff. You blitz Brees, prepare to chase a receiver while he runs down field. You blitz Romo, everyone on defense get your hands ready to intercept cause here it comes.
  16. KJJ

KJJ You Have an Axe to Grind

10,706 Messages
    816 Likes Received
    Romo has been so unclutch he's turned the ball over 12 times in 7 do or die games. He turned the ball over multiple times in 4 of those games. The only do or die game he didn't suffer a turnover in the Cowboys won.
  17. PA Cowboy Fan

PA Cowboy Fan Well-Known Member

1,763 Messages
    1,187 Likes Received
    I'll take that and 2 SB titles to what we have now.
  18. DWhite Fan

DWhite Fan It ain't over 'til it's over

4,958 Messages
    295 Likes Received
    Now, remind me again. Why did everyone wanted Drew Bledsoe benched in favor of Romo? Wasn't it something about throwing to many killer INTs...
  19. Super_Kazuya

Super_Kazuya Well-Known Member

1,652 Messages
    804 Likes Received
    What? It's true. I liked Danny just fine but facts are facts.
  20. muck4doo

1,950 Messages
    53 Likes Received
    Don't encourage them.