1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Hate To Say It, But We Missed Marty B

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Picksix, Jan 26, 2013.

1. Picksix

Picksix A Work in Progress

4,758 Messages
    705 Likes Received
    Not from a pass-catching standpoint by any means. What we missed was his blocking. For the three years previous to his leaving, he was ranked by PFF as one of the best - if not the best - blocking TE. That's why we went after Kellen Davis and John Carlson like we did. Garrett knew we needed better than what remained. Phillips is a better pass-catcher, but not nearly the blocker Marty was. Getting Vickers was supposed to help, but he was a disappointment.

We talk about making improvements at OL, DL, S, etc, and rightfully so. But don't be surprised if the first guy we sign in FA is a TE.
  2. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,584 Messages
    527 Likes Received
    We need better blocking LINEMEN before we worry about a blocking TE.
  3. Galian Beast

Galian Beast Well-Known Member

9,226 Messages
    1,437 Likes Received
    damn we're on a roll lately huh?
  4. Woods

Woods Active Member

12,375 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    I think Garrett will look to FA once again for a blocking TE. We tried to get Davis from Chicago last year, but with no luck. He'll probably give it another shot this FA.
  5. dexternjack

dexternjack World Traveler Zone Supporter

6,596 Messages
    2,155 Likes Received
    I miss nothing about the "unicorn". So, he went off and caught some passes, big whoop. Hanna could have done the same for the Giants, as well as Phillips because they are used more and in different ways.

Yes, he was a good blocker but I saw no difference in our offense with or without him this past season.

I don't see the point of going after another TE in FA, we already have three unless Phillips is on his way out. We need lineman who can block, first and foremost.
  6. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,584 Messages
    527 Likes Received
    :bow:
  7. Wulfman

Wulfman Unofficial GM

1,300 Messages
    19 Likes Received
    Just FYI, Phillips is an unrestricted free agent, so they'll have to either re-sign him or go get someone else, in all likelihood.
  8. Ky31

Ky31 Member

88 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    Not so much!
  9. Zordon

Zordon Well-Known Member

10,461 Messages
    6,028 Likes Received
    why do you hate to say it? was marty b that evil to some of yall? :laugh2:

i was telling yall all offseason phillips was nothing but a JAG. ,marty b was like another lineman blocking at times.
  10. dexternjack

dexternjack World Traveler Zone Supporter

6,596 Messages
    2,155 Likes Received
    This is true, forgot that. Sure hope the brain-trust does not draft another one, just get someone via FA or resign Phillips.
  11. zack

zack Well-Known Member

2,157 Messages
    329 Likes Received
    No we didn't. I'm glad we don't have that bum on this team anymore.
  12. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,673 Messages
    1,490 Likes Received
    Marty and the Cowboys were a bad marriage that was likely never gonna work. Sometimes it goes that way certain players and teams. Time to move on.
  13. Wulfman

Wulfman Unofficial GM

1,300 Messages
    19 Likes Received
    In my opinion, it will depend what they're looking for. If they predominantly want a blocker as this thread suggests, they may already have a guy in Andre Davis who has the size to do the job. But I won't be surprised if they snag a middle-tier veteran TE in free agency or target one in the middle rounds of the draft, especially if someone they have highly rated slides a bit.
  14. Reality

Reality Administrator Staff Member

11,864 Messages
    1,677 Likes Received
    I don't think you'll find many people who questioned how good of a blocker he was, but he was never happy with that. He wanted to be a Gonzalez, Witten or Gates rather than a blocker. While I was never a fan of his, I don't blame him for thinking that way. Blocking tight-ends don't get big contracts.

When he started the season out, he looked great, catching everything it seemed. The second half of the season I saw several Giants games where he dropped pass after pass, especially on third downs. He was worth keeping on a rookie contract, but after that, it was time to move on and I am glad we did.

I can agree though that since his knee injury, Phillips has been a disappointment. Hopefully Hanna's blocking will improve this off-season or the Cowboys will pick up a new blocking tight-end.

/reality
  15. Vanilla2

Vanilla2 Well-Known Member

1,616 Messages
    742 Likes Received
    You're right.

I mean the team did go from a powerhouse running team with Marty leading the way to a team that ran for an all time low in a 16 game season.

And don't get me started with the way he blew Wittens production out of the water now that he plays for the giants.

What a waste of a 2nd rounder that guy was.
  16. theogt

theogt Surrealist Zone Supporter

44,090 Messages
    1,281 Likes Received
    Well, yeah, he was better than our replacement. Just like when Garrett let go of Gurode, Leonard Davis, Patrick Crayton, Robinson. This offense seems to be about talent disposition than talent acquisition.
  17. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

31,992 Messages
    7,730 Likes Received
    He really wasn't much better than the replacements. Just a better (inline) blocker.

Getting rid of Gurode, Davis, and Crayton were not mistakes. Robinson we obviously didn't want to lose, but keeping him at market rate would have been a bigger mistake than letting him walk.

There are better things to complain about than these issues.
  18. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,584 Messages
    527 Likes Received
    Leonard Davis was better than Berny. But they both sucked.
  19. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

31,992 Messages
    7,730 Likes Received
    God, no, he wasn't. Davis was a disaster, and he had to be let go. Bernardeau was a serviceable starter once he finally got healthy and sufficient starters' snaps by the end of the season.
  20. theogt

theogt Surrealist Zone Supporter

44,090 Messages
    1,281 Likes Received
    Yikes.