1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Have you ever known a Dallas Cowboy

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by ehcrossing, Oct 14, 2013.

1. dirtycallahan

dirtycallahan Member

202 Messages
    21 Likes Received
    I played pee wee ball with Paul Palmer, but he is not a name many will recognize
  2. bark

bark Well-Known Member

2,250 Messages
    939 Likes Received
    I've got some connections to cole Beasley.
    I will say this. He is roommates with sterling Moore and both of these kids have their heads screwed on right. They live in a modest apartment, drive modest vehicles and don't live a rock star lifestyle.
    Also cole hates wearing a mouthpiece and refuses to do so most of the time.
    So if he gets up spitting out some incisors you'll know why.

Not a cowboy, but I played a total of 6 games in hs and college against billy sims and got to know him pretty well.
    Whenever I see him I always thank him for my two broken ribs. He was an incredible athlete. Strong as an ox and shifty as a waterbug. Unfortunately ( and billy will tell you the same), everything I said about sterling and cole does not apply to billy.
    Duane and pancakeman like this.
  3. tyke1doe

tyke1doe Well-Known Member

19,559 Messages
    734 Likes Received
    I meet John Niland, Deion Sanders, Emmitt Smith and Tom Landry.
  4. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

37,481 Messages
    3,791 Likes Received
    Kool story. Love the car. Is it yours?
  5. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

37,481 Messages
    3,791 Likes Received
    Kool. I wish I still had my 182 RG. Paid 42 for it and now worth $$$$.
    landroverking likes this.
  6. RonSpringsdaman20

RonSpringsdaman20 alpha seeing omega Zone Supporter

2,360 Messages
    985 Likes Received
    ahha, temple kid. I always liked him as a player. Help secure our only win in that 1-15 season.
    he was good with the chiefs as well.
  7. JIMMYBUFFETT

JIMMYBUFFETT Skinwalker

1,198 Messages
    148 Likes Received
    I used to beat Larry Allen's butt daily for his lunch money.
  8. bark

bark Well-Known Member

2,250 Messages
    939 Likes Received
    You sir are a bad bad man
  9. OhSnap

OhSnap Well-Known Member

1,591 Messages
    721 Likes Received
    There used to be this guy that hung out behind the Dollar Store. He bummed cigarettes, drank wine allot and danced like Ray Lewis. His name was Cowboy cause he wore a Cowboy hat.
    ehcrossing likes this.
  10. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

30,424 Messages
    6,124 Likes Received
    There was probably quite a bit of cash in that gig, huh?
  11. Apollo Creed

Apollo Creed Stackin and Processin, Well

8,594 Messages
    476 Likes Received
    Hung out with Tony Romo, his father, and Jordan Speith one night in Charleston, SC about 3 years ago when he was in town for a golf tournament.

Good times...
    ehcrossing likes this.
  12. bb721

bb721 Active Member

103 Messages
    52 Likes Received
    Okay so I am going a bit off topic but my brush with fame involves basketball. I went to High School and played on the same town league intramural team as Kelly Tripucka, who went on to star at Notre Dame and become an NBA All Star. His dad Frank Tripucka was an NFL quarterback who had his number 18 jersey retired by the Denver Broncos. When they were looking into signing Peyton Manning they actually contacted him to see if he would mind having his number unretired and he graciously agreed. John Elway even thanked him in the press conference announcing Manning's signing.
  13. Reverend Conehead

Reverend Conehead Well-Known Member

965 Messages
    253 Likes Received
    Lee Roy Jordan came to my school when I was a kid and when he was still on the team. He signed my football. I also met Butch Johnson in Denver in the 90s long after he had retired. He was a customer where I worked. I got to talk with him. I found him to be a good guy with a good sense of humor.
  14. Clove

Clove Shrinkage

38,675 Messages
    1,546 Likes Received
    His son is huge. Sophomore at Prestonwood Christian Academy. My company covered one of their high school games last week. He was a man amongst boys.

I had lunch with Michael Downs last year. Huge safety, probably 6'5
  15. Rhubarb

Rhubarb Member

188 Messages
    15 Likes Received
    I know Keyshawn Johnson from my time at USC.
    ehcrossing likes this.
  16. Eddie

Eddie Well-Known Member

8,793 Messages
    375 Likes Received
    I work with Stephen Bowen's cousin. The guy looks like he can suit up for the Cowboys.
  17. Bungarian

Bungarian Butt Monkey

2,228 Messages
    470 Likes Received
    I went to the same gym with Chad Hutchinson. Does not really count lol. I talked to him a few times. He was a strange dude.

Off topic but at the same gym was Doctor Death Steve Williams. He was a nice guy.
  18. JIMMYBUFFETT

JIMMYBUFFETT Skinwalker

1,198 Messages
    148 Likes Received
    Yeah it took Larry like $35.00 a meal to get full. Good money if you can get it.

Seriously though the only Cowboy I've ever really known was Barry Switzer. I know he's not a popular figure on this board but I loved the guy. I played golf with him a couple times a year for several years after his time with the Cowboys. He's one of the most interesting people I've ever met. I also played golf with Joe Avezzano but we didn't share a cart and I didn't get to talk with him much. I shared a flight with and shook hands with Michael Irvin on a flight from Dallas to Kansas City a few years back.
    Idgit likes this.
  19. trickblue

trickblue Old Testament... Zone Supporter

28,840 Messages
    295 Likes Received
    I know Cliff Harris fairly well and Charlie Waters to a lesser degree...

Played pool on several different occasions with Harvey Martin at the old Stonleigh P in Dallas. Worked several times with Preston Pearson and Roger Staubach. Also worked a couple of times with Bob Hayes, Drew Pearson, Ed "Too Tall" Jones and Tom Landry.

Had a cigar with Eugene Lockhart, Drew Pearson and Stephen Jones in the Corral after an Eagle Victory. That was a cool day. That was the day the iggles tried the customary onside kick on the opening play and Randal Williams took it yard and we ended up winning 23-21. I was there with Princess (for those that remember her). I had a good friend in Texarkana that was a HUGE Drew Pearson fan, so he agreed to say hello on my cell phone to her. I said "Angel... I'm at the Cowboy game, someone wants to speak to you". He took my phone and said "Hello Angela... this is Drew Pearson" I heard her scream over the phone. He talked to her for a few minutes... great guy.

Hard to remember them all. Robert Newhouse, Walt Garrison, Randy White, Troy Aikman, Emmitt Smith, Michael Irvin, Step, Calvin Hill, Bob Lilly, Alvin Harper, Jay Novacek, Dennis Thurman are some. Too bad we didn't have camera phones back in the day...

I had a good friend that was a photographer for the Cowboys, so I got to go in the locker room back in 1980... good stuff...

I've met a bunch over the years and feel fortunate to have done so... My biggest regret was never meeting Dandy Don, but I did see him play once...
    ehcrossing and Idgit like this.
  20. CowboysLegend365

CowboysLegend365 Active Member

317 Messages
    123 Likes Received
    No Cowboys but played Pop Warner football with and high school football against current Texans RB Ben Tate. Hard work is all I've ever known out of Benny. He's gonna sign a fat contract this coming off-season.