1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

HC candidate X: Back to Back .500 Seasons, Only Prev Exp Is QB Coach: Do you hire him

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Beast_from_East, Jan 3, 2013.

1. Beast_from_East

Beast_from_East Well-Known Member

15,496 Messages
    2,904 Likes Received
    Take the name "Garrett" out of it, do you hire this candidate if you are the GM of one of the 7 teams currently without a HC?
  2. rocyaice

rocyaice Well-Known Member

7,123 Messages
    1,146 Likes Received
    It depends. Did he miss half of his starters on defense and had a piss poor offensive line? If we factor that in then yea I definitely would hire him. Garrett didn't underachieve with the unit he had last season. If anything he overachieved.
  3. CopenhagenCowboy

CopenhagenCowboy Active Member

945 Messages
    97 Likes Received
    Of course not.
  4. blackbull

blackbull Well-Known Member

1,284 Messages
    206 Likes Received

lol stay consistent man.
  5. Beast_from_East

15,496 Messages
    2,904 Likes Received

Garrett didnt underachieve, seriously?

I think Jerry disagrees, he said in his interview that Jason has had full control of the offense for 6 years and for us to have played with a lead only 23% of the season was inexcusable.

Not exactly a vote of confidence from the owner, dont you think.
  6. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

31,992 Messages
    7,729 Likes Received
    I wouldn't hire that anonymous candidate for an open job. I would very likely finish implementing his program in the job he had already.
  7. Beast_from_East

15,496 Messages
    2,904 Likes Received
    Jerry didnt sound very pleased with "his program", basically threw said candidate under the bus for the offensive woes of the team.

I think Garrett the OC is getting fired and if Garrett the HC doesnt like it, he can walk.
  8. LatinMind

LatinMind iPhotoshop

8,992 Messages
    2,020 Likes Received
    To be fair, Harbaugh was a ST coach and the ravens took a chance and many people questioned it. And it worked out for the ravens. you just never know until you try it
  9. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

31,992 Messages
    7,729 Likes Received
    I think I must have listened to the wrong Jerry interview on dallascowboys.com. He sounded calm and rational to me in the one I listened to today. I was surprised, given how it was characterized in the Jerry-thread.
  10. Beast_from_East

15,496 Messages
    2,904 Likes Received
    Well he said that Garrett had full autonomy over the offense the last 6 seasons and it was inexcusable for the team to have played with a lead only 23% of the time.

He also talked about what a great coaching job the Skins have done by building an offense around two rookies, clearly implying our coaches have not built around our talent.

He also then talked about how bad the team was with fundementals like blocking and tackling.

He also stated that he is 100% behind Romo and it is not Romo's fault for the offensive woes of the team.

Now if you dont call that throwing Garrett under the bus, I dont know what is. If the owner says the team lacks fundementals like blocking and tackling, isnt that on the head coach? If the owner says the HC/OC has had full control of the offense for 6 seasons and the fact we trailed in every game is inexcusable is not throwing Garrett under the bus?

I recommend you listen again to his interview, not flattering of Garrett at all.
  11. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

7,889 Messages
    2,358 Likes Received
    i would sign him if:

he is in the family portrait
    he can give great press conferences
    he can speak in cliches only
    he can divert responsibility
    no one of substance is willing to come work for me because of my antics
    i have no idea how to evaluate coaches
  12. Beast_from_East

15,496 Messages
    2,904 Likes Received

YOU ARE HIRED!!!!!:D
  13. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

7,889 Messages
    2,358 Likes Received
    thanx!!

i have also learned to start all my press conferences with "how we doin' guys?"

just to show everyone that i am human and not a colmplete robot
  14. Kangaroo

Kangaroo Active Member

9,893 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Any Reid was just a QB coach and we seen other caoches get snapped up with worse records than that like Mangni.

Once again just because a coach who was not the head coach was on a losing team or a winning team does not mean he can not be a successful head coach.

How many SB winning assistants have we seen flop as a HC.

Overreaction once again :bang2:
  15. DBOY3141

DBOY3141 Well-Known Member

3,273 Messages
    541 Likes Received
    True. But Harbaugh also has a very good GM who knows how to build a team.

Until the Cowboys have that, no coach will succeed. Garrett would have the same success with the Ravens as Harbaugh has had.

JJ is the problem with the Cowboys, not JG.
  16. Zordon

Zordon Well-Known Member

10,461 Messages
    6,028 Likes Received
    If Jason Garrett never played for the Cowboys but every other part of his makeup and resume is the same, would he be getting as much leeway as he's getting with some in the fanbase?
  17. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

119,115 Messages
    3,139 Likes Received
    If Jerry were to fulfill the wet dreams and fire Garrett he wouldn't be out of work as a HC for more than a few days. So the answer is yes.
  18. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

119,115 Messages
    3,139 Likes Received
    He would from me. I see what is being built.
  19. Doomsay

Doomsay Well-Known Member

6,067 Messages
    982 Likes Received
    If Garrett's team "development" was at all successful, we wouldn't have back to back 8-8 seasons given our level of talent. We are not much better than we were 2 years ago when Jason took over. We have improved our canned pressers and our guys are more outwardly courteous in public forums, but the team is still an undisciplined and sloppy mess IMO.

I doubt Garrett could get anything other than a QB assistant gig at this point, which speaks volumes about his suitability for being HC of the Cowboys. If Jason is serious about learning the position, he should seek out a HC or OC opportunity at a small DIV I program, he's been paid a ridiculous fortune to learn on the job in Dallas, it's time that he banks the proceeds from Jerry's mistake and steps back and learns in an environment where the game is a little slower and easier to understand.
  20. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,928 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received
    Of course not. This has always been the case. His draw has always been 1) the Ivy League degree, and 2) carrying Troy's clipboard during the Glory Days.

If a person with the exact same coaching resume had been a career backup for the Panthers and had gone to Eastern Idaho, people would feel completely different about this candidate.