1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Heading To The Stadium For The First Time

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by mikeygaga11, Dec 3, 2012.

1. mikeygaga11

mikeygaga11 Member

83 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Hi Everyone, I am a fan from New Jersey making my first trip to the area for the Steelers game and am hoping that you guys can give me some advice as far as getting around etc.

My friends and I are staying at the Sheraton in Downtown Dallas. Is it better to just rent a car to get around or is a cab or the DART a better option? Also, as far as parking goes, what do you recommend if we rent a car?

Thank you in advance for your help
  2. Section444

Section444 Well-Known Member

4,350 Messages
    858 Likes Received
    I'd rent a car, public transit in D/FW is not what you're probably used to in NJ. If you do rent a car, I'd recommend that you park on Collins, here's a couple of reasons why: 1. You don't get stuck paying quite as much as if you park at the stadium. 2. I actually quite enjoy the walk, since you'll be sitting for four plus hours. 3. If you park at the stadium, you can expect it to take you anywhere from 45 minutes - 1.5 hours to just get back onto the freeway (depending on where you park). If you park on the right side of Collins, you'll be on the freeway within 10 minutes. Be sure that you get there extremely early, and check out the tailgating in Lot A (crazy people over there). Have a good time, and if you have any specific questions, feel free to shoot me a PM.
  3. since75

since75 Member

33 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Last game my son and I parked at Colters BBQ, bought $40 worth of ribs and got to park for free. Less than 10 minute walk and the excercise was good for me. That was to the right on Collins and we never had a problem with traffic

You could park somewhere else for $30 but you aint getting fed.
  4. Section444

Section444 Well-Known Member

4,350 Messages
    858 Likes Received
    Yup, there are a lot of restaurants along Collins that offer similar deals. The only disadvantage to parking on that side of the street is that you'd have to take a left to get back on the freeway.
  5. since75

since75 Member

33 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    I drove down the backside of that shopping center and came out on the road just down from pappasitos, worked out perfect
  6. mikeygaga11

mikeygaga11 Member

83 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Thanks for the help guys, I appreciate it. I'm definitely going to rent a car now, and are there any recommendations for restaurants in the area too? Is Colter's good or is something else better?
  7. Blitzen32

Blitzen32 Member

205 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I'd recommend Bodacious BBQ which is right across the street down Division. Excellent meat choices, great Texas sweet tea, and awesome homemade banana pudding.

BBQ and the Cowboys. Best day ever.
  8. Apollo Creed

Apollo Creed Stackin and Processin, Well

8,609 Messages
    487 Likes Received
    Loved Dallas, hoping to move there before summer.

Get ready man, it's nothing you've ever seen before. Stadium is insane, spend the dough and go on the VIP tour, and do what I did. Wait until the last group so you'll be able to be on the field with hardly anyone. After the photo booth lady left I was all alone and was able to just soak it in, much better than sharing the field with dozens of people running around.

When I go back gonna bring a football though, would love a chance to catch a ball from my dad in the end zone.

It's a once in a lifetime experience though, I've been in Fenway, Old Yankee stadium, Cameron indoor, etc etc and nothing comes close. Of course I'm biased but even my business partners that had no love for Dallas were saying they've never seen anything like it.