1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Heard Mike Fisher say earlier we will go after a Warren Sapp type in 2013.

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Aven8, Jan 11, 2013.

1. FiveRings

FiveRings Well-Known Member

1,760 Messages
    230 Likes Received
    We fired Rob too soon. The only way I would have been behind a rob firing is if we brought in a real guru like Capers or Lovie. The defense was in shambles and he brought in good pieces (Moore,Sims,Peprah,Poppinga etc.) and now we're throwing away all of our progress. Not good. With a big NT and a mid round safety (Matt Elam) we would have been a top 5 D.
  2. Disturbed

Disturbed A Mere Flesh Wound

1,448 Messages
    5 Likes Received

And build through draft. Good things will come if the Cowboys can draft the "right guys".
  3. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    Ugh, why am I not trusting the cap expertise of someone who doesn't realize that releasing Ratliff frees up no cap space?
  4. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    How is Lovie a "real guru" but not the guy who taught Lovie everything he knows?
  5. AbeBeta

AbeBeta Well-Known Member

25,372 Messages
    840 Likes Received
    Wait. Lovie Smith is a true guru, but his mentor is not. Great logic. Keep it coming.
  6. FiveRings

1,760 Messages
    230 Likes Received
    How can you justify that for every relationship in life? Lovie has had more success in the NFL not to mention he's not 70. But none of that matters, I didn't really want Rob in the first place because trashing two years of progress because we had injuries this year is moronic.
  7. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

11,665 Messages
    4,220 Likes Received
    Warren Sapp played the under-tackle in Kiffin's 4-3-under defensive front.

Henry Melton played that position for Kiffin's protege Lovie Smith.
  8. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    Dude, how old are you, 16? Kiffin is one of the greatest defensive minds in the history of the NFL. Lovie is a guy who hasn't gotten his team to the playoffs in 4 out of the last 5 years.
  9. rocyaice

rocyaice Well-Known Member

6,173 Messages
    662 Likes Received
    29 and 30 is not old unless you are a running back.
  10. ajk23az

ajk23az Through Pain Comes Clarity

7,664 Messages
    44 Likes Received
    29 and 30 is old? You want to get rid of 3 of DL? We already have ZERO depth along the DLine and that'll leave us with that much less. Also, we have no room under the cap to sign much!

Only one that will be gone is Spears on the defense that you listed.
  11. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

22,656 Messages
    2,029 Likes Received
    He sure seems to be a better fit for a 4-3.
  12. TtownCowboy

TtownCowboy Member

359 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Dude we didn't dump Rob because of injuries. If you look at enough of this stuff there are multiple reasons he justifiably got fired.

A. We gave him a secondary, he wanted, that could play man coverage so he could go blitz crazy and he wouldn't even do it against rookie QBs.
    B. Jerry spoke to fundamentals in TACKLING on defense.
    C. Multiple times of too many or not enough men on the field.
    D. I've heard from two different places one Glen "Stretch" Smith a former Cowboys coach who now does some stuff for Galloway on ESPN Dallas that he felt that part of the reason the defense played okay with nobodies off the street under Ryan was because he dumbed it down so much everyone played better. That the higher ups at VR would probably realize this and believe Ryan's defense was just too complex. Broadus has also brought this up.
    E. The best pure pass rusher dropping into coverage way too much. That's on the DCord.
    F. Reports now coming out that he wasn't going to defensive meetings towards the end and even his assistants were getting fed up.

I could go on but you should get the point. For some of us he was who we thought he was. A Ryan.
  13. hra8700

hra8700 Active Member

805 Messages
    56 Likes Received
    Thats what i was thinking as well. I wonder if we'd consider keeping spencer playing him as the solb in base and de in nickel.
  14. 187beatdown

187beatdown Lack of Big Plays

3,555 Messages
    439 Likes Received

This.

I don't care how Dallas picks up a good O-lineman, I just want it done. I actually want two, but that may be reaching.

I love Warmack but if Dallas can find someone in FA that would be fine too. I would love Slauson or Levitre.
  15. BlindFaith

BlindFaith Active Member

887 Messages
    173 Likes Received
    Brian Price, and he's even on our roster. He was drafted by Tampa to be just that guy. He's had some injuries and some issues in his life, but if he can get them straightened out he could be a player.

There are a few guys on the roster that could be interesting as 4-3 guys. Lissemore is much more suited for it. Ben Bass, Ikponmwosa Igbinosun. Crawford I think could be someone to keep an eye on as a pass rushing end. I think he'd be better off loosing some weight and getting quicker.
  16. FiveRings

1,760 Messages
    230 Likes Received
    A-E you can contribute to injuries though. And you act like this played like the 32nd defense in the league. At times we made plays and stops when we had to. We needed safetys to solidify our secondary and a NT for the run D. If we have Ryan at least one he would have made a great D. Instead, players we relied to make plays for us went down and he had to bring in nobodys and play it safe so we didn't get burnt on big stretch plays.
  17. 187beatdown

187beatdown Lack of Big Plays

3,555 Messages
    439 Likes Received
    Based on what? We just gave up a franchise record for yards per game this year.
  18. rat2k8

rat2k8 Active Member

593 Messages
    135 Likes Received
    It obvious who he is talking about. Has to be Ty Warrren:laugh1:
  19. AbeBeta

AbeBeta Well-Known Member

25,372 Messages
    840 Likes Received
    Lovie has had more success in the NFL? That is absolutely absurd. Kiffin is one of the most highly regarded defensive minds in the game.
  20. CowboyStar88

CowboyStar88 Well-Known Member

4,421 Messages
    1,021 Likes Received
    Why get rid of spears? He is cheap and he provides good solid depth.