1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Helman: Allen Trying To Share Experience With Cowboys Young Safeties

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by speedkilz88, Jun 12, 2013.

1. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,269 Messages
    831 Likes Received
    David Helman
    DallasCowboys.com Staff Writer

[IMG]

IRVING, Texas – After a brief stint on the Cowboys’ sideline, Will Allen is back about the business of securing a starting safety spot.

Allen spent his Wednesday alongside Barry Church as the Cowboys’ starting safety tandem, after spending a sizable chunk of team OTAs nursing minor injuries. It’s not exactly unfamiliar territory for the 10-year veteran, as he has 33 NFL starts to his name. But the promise of extended playing time was one of the allures of Dallas – among other things.

“I know the defense, and there’s an opportunity here to start – as a safety in the NFL, and as a safety for the Dallas Cowboys,” Allen said. “It’s a great group of guys here. I mean, look at our defensive line – it’s the best in the league, if not then it’s top one or two. Why not play behind those guys?”

It’s an interesting dynamic for the Ohio State product. On one hand Allen is one of the most veteran voices on the roster – his 10 years in the league is fewer only than Tony Romo and Jason Witten. On the other hand, his arrival in March makes him one of the newest Cowboys in the building. It makes for an interesting learning process in the Cowboys’ new defense under Monte Kiffin.

“There’s still some small nuances and some things that I have to learn, even in my 10th year. I just spent three years in a 3-4,” Allen said. “Even though I played in this defense under Monte Kiffin before, there’s small nuances changing and you’ve got to learn it – understand body position, understand where your help is, understand where all the players are on the field – it’s just a little different.”

Allen’s familiarity with Kiffin’s defense has been the main storyline behind his arrival since he signed a free agent contract in March. Though Kiffin said himself Wednesday that familiarity isn’t what brought the veteran to Texas.

read the rest
    http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/a...Safeties/7edbe425-3a7f-4e44-a368-62cebcd2ea98