1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

help at olb prospects

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by Prossman, Jan 15, 2012.

1. Prossman

Prossman Active Member

946 Messages
    47 Likes Received
    Is there any oslb worth taking at the 14th pick? help would be appreciated. Prossman
  2. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,275 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    There is not any real upgrades according to most draft experts . Ingram and Upshaw are mentioned but they are not considered great pass rushers . There may be some good value picks in the lae first and second . Curry , Perry , Irwin etc.
  3. supercowboy8

supercowboy8 Well-Known Member

5,330 Messages
    319 Likes Received
    It's to far away to say there isn't any. This time last year alone smith was ranked as a late first early second. I think Ingram is an amazing player, and he plays dt, and de and olb andis a very good pass rusher when asked to.
    I think 14 is a great spot for a olb, and if we wait tell the 2nd or later then we will relie on butler to start. SOLB is a spot where you have to not just rush the passer. The you have to stop the run and cover the Te. The asking a 2nd round de to come in and transition is hard to do. Ingram, Upshaw, and Hightower all have experience doing this and can be starters day one.

A second round pick I would take if we do go OG or CB in the first is Vontaze Burfit or Andre Branch.
  4. BAT

BAT Mr. Fixit

7,651 Messages
    589 Likes Received
    Last year this time, there were 2 top 10 ranked pass rushing LBers (Quinn & Miller) and a couple of pass rushing 3-4 DEs (Fairley & Dareus). With JJ Watt and Aldon Smith just a tick behind.

Nothing close to the pass rushing talent in this draft.
  5. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,275 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    You just made a good case for keeping Spencer .
  6. Leadbelly

Leadbelly Active Member

607 Messages
    225 Likes Received

Curry, Perry, and Irvin will rise to Dallas' pick by the time the draft rolls around. There's nothing on video of any guy working at LB. Irvin in particular was stuck at DE on a 3-man front.

He was a WR and Safety in HS. He'll test at the top of his position and we'll be lucky if he's still around at 14. Then he'll help us out and get an 8 on the Wonderlic.

But I agree with the gist. There's no Robert Quinn, Aldon Smith or Von Miller this year. Maybe not even a Ryan Kerrigan.
  7. Future

Future Intramural Legend

16,240 Messages
    1,573 Likes Received
    Which is exactly what we should do. He's not going to break the bank, and contrary to popular belief, he's not the reason our defense blows.
  8. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

7,514 Messages
    2,102 Likes Received
    plans A and B here

A) sign spencer (if he dosent break the bank), then take vinny curry in rd 3 for rushing on passing downs

this way we can still take decastro in rd 1 and poe in rd 2

b) spencer askes for too much and is gone, then we have to take ingram of hightower

lose out on decastro
  9. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,275 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    Curry may be gone in the third . I wouldn't be against taking him in the second and split time between him and Butler till he gets comfortable at OLB . I don't want to be in a position that Ingram or Upshaw or whoever is picked and not be a big upgrade over Spencer .