1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Help Free?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by yentl911, Dec 4, 2012.

1. yentl911

yentl911 Well-Known Member

1,678 Messages
    340 Likes Received
    I do think Parnell should get a shot but for whatever reason it is not happening. That being said, we need to help Free out here. Chip with a back, keep a TE in to help, roll away from him, etc.... We are leaving him by himself and letting his opponent pin his ears back and have at him. We need to do something before his confidence is crushed past the point of return if it isn't already. He is a serious liability that everyone is talking about but I see very little being done to help out the situation.

What are you guys thinking?

Yes he sucks, should be benched, cut, etc.... Real solutions here.
  2. Arkyvarminter

Arkyvarminter Well-Known Member

1,127 Messages
    211 Likes Received
    Well for the money he's making and his play in the past he shouldn't need help but your right he does. The problem with this team is once you get paid you don't get pulled unless you get hit by a car and can't play.......
  3. yentl911

1,678 Messages
    340 Likes Received
    Regardless of his pay aren't we supposed to play our best 22 guys?? If not, this front office has more issues than just drafting, trading and clock management.

Free either needs help or sit him. Period. I guess having Romo destroyed and injured by one of Free's missed blocks will be what it takes?? I would love to see us be proactive instead of reactive just once.
  4. Hostile

Hostile It Has Been Fun Zone Supporter

119,127 Messages
    3,213 Likes Received
    Back when I was in college there was a LB on the team who was a better player than the starter. We all knew it. Hell even the starter knew it. But this kid was a walk on and there wasn't a scholarship for him until the other guy left because he had one.

There is politics in football. I've seen it.

I worry at times that it exists at the pro level too. Free starting over Parnell is a prime example of my fear of this. is it because he's paid too much to be a backup?

I hope not. But to convince me otherwise Free needs to finally be the guy he once was that was filling in for Colombo so well that Flo was sent packing.
  5. CowboyChris

CowboyChris Well-Known Member

2,899 Messages
    162 Likes Received
    i cant see any reason why Free hasnt been replaced by Parnell. its crazy though Free has had some horrible 1st halves, and played alot better in the 2nd half, kinda like the rest of the team.
  6. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,873 Messages
    1,709 Likes Received
    If Free is playing because of his contract then that is further proof that Red Ball is HC in name only
  7. Prossman

Prossman Active Member

947 Messages
    47 Likes Received
    Leaving free in there is on garrett if you ask me, as well as not giving him any help. It is another example of garrett not having a clue about how to manage personel. Seriously, what do you have to lose by playing Parnell? Atleast Parnell doesn't get blown off the ball on a play to play basis.
  8. yentl911

1,678 Messages
    340 Likes Received
    We hear over and over again from the Cowboys front office about doing the right thing, working hard, staying the course, and getting our best players in the best position to be successful. If Free is playing because of his contract then this is total lip service and our front office has no validity. Practice what you preach and do what you say.

A good friend mentioned that he was thinking that Free hadn't been benched because it might destroy his confidence. That is rediculous. He doesn't have any confidence now. Help him with a scheme change or sit him. To me it is that simple.

If Parnell gets a chance and can't get it done then ok we gave it a shot.

This is a similar situation I am seeing shake down with O Tree - Beasley and Harris are more technically sound and have a brain in their heads. What a waste.
  9. lwehlers

lwehlers Well-Known Member

1,182 Messages
    106 Likes Received
    we cannot afford to help free. we need witten in passing game to much to leave him in to block every play.
  10. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

32,708 Messages
    3,197 Likes Received
    There were some good suggestions about how to help Free in another thread...

-A better running game will enable more play action which is a great benefit
    -Less "shotgun"... Shotgun clues the defense in that it's a pass
    -More production out of the 3WR. Up to this point the 3WR is giving virtually nothing
  11. dallasfan4lizife

dallasfan4lizife Well-Known Member

2,771 Messages
    335 Likes Received
    free is such a scrub. he robbed jerry like the norm in dallas.

4 year 32 million...for a freaking right tackle?!!? ***?

he should be dominating on the right side if he's making that type of money.

he's probably one of the worst starting tackles in the league at this point
  12. yentl911

1,678 Messages
    340 Likes Received
    A few screens would be a nice way of taking advantage of a DLine that has their ears pinned back headed for the QB....inept play calling and very poor scheme have exposed Free as the marginal player he is.
  13. yentl911

1,678 Messages
    340 Likes Received
    From the numbers he IS the worst RT in football
  14. Roadtrip635

Roadtrip635 Well-Known Member

875 Messages
    441 Likes Received
    You can't help Free every play. The back or TE have to be able to pick blitzes and if they come from the middle or left side then Free is on his own. Becomes even more difficult with stunts, delayed blitzes etc. Having the back constantly staying in to block just about takes away those little swing and outlet passes as well. You can try some max protect, but much tougher to get plays with only 2 guys running routes.

The problem, Free is getting beat 1 on 1 way too often and getting beat most ways imaginable. He gets beat with bullrushes, outside moves, inside moves and lord help him against stunts or switches. It's not just his strength, but his reaction and footwork has regressed horribly. Maybe have him pull or OL stunts may help him some, but really only accounts for a handful of plays a game at best.
  15. yentl911

1,678 Messages
    340 Likes Received
    I am not saying every play but I don't see any help for him ever. Change the play calling for more play action, screens, bootlegs, etc..... Right now whoever lines up over Free has a bee line to the QB unless he is being held.
  16. brooksey1

brooksey1 Well-Known Member

1,600 Messages
    571 Likes Received
    I totally agree with this and the fear is that it's happening in more then one position.
  17. yentl911

1,678 Messages
    340 Likes Received
    If the case is due to Free's contract then what is the deal with O Tree? He sucks and is a complete moron. I just don't get it.
  18. intelmax

intelmax New Member

89 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    We cant keep a TE to help free because we need Witten to run that 10 yard out that open 100% of the time. Maybe keep the Runingback to chip?
  19. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

35,202 Messages
    2,039 Likes Received
    It just might be that Free is not a RT. RT and LT are not interchangeable. The attitude of a RT as opposed to a LT is different. It may well be that we were better off the way it was before. Free is better suited to LT and Smith may be a RT. I just wonder how well Free could play at LT if he had an excellent LG there with him. When he had a good LG, he played pretty well at LT.

I don't know but neither of our Tackles are playing very well right now IMO.
  20. Roadtrip635

Roadtrip635 Well-Known Member

875 Messages
    441 Likes Received
    That's been an issue for awhile, play calling. Screens and bootlegs seem to be missing from JG's playbook, and when you have a struggling OLine, those should be mainstays to help protect the QB. Now that Murray is back, we should expect to see more PA passes and more effective, since he is a genuine threat. It really is mind boggling why JG doesn't call more screens and bootlegs, Tony excels at rolling out and throwing. If Tony tucked the ball and ran once or twice a game like he did last week for that nice gain, it really puts more pressure on the Defense. That split second of indecision by a defender will help open some passing lanes.

I'm with ya on running more of those type plays and definitely a head scratcher when it comes to JG's game planning.