1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Help Free?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by yentl911, Dec 4, 2012.

1. ThreeandOut

ThreeandOut Well-Known Member

1,818 Messages
    184 Likes Received
    He was a good enough RT a couple of years back to get a big contract. I just don't understand why he is so bad now.
  2. yentl911

yentl911 Well-Known Member

1,676 Messages
    340 Likes Received
    Great post roadtrip635. You are right on the money. Our coaches get paid good money to make these observations and have missed the bus.
  3. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

35,186 Messages
    2,027 Likes Received
    I don't think that he got his big contract at RT. I think he got it after he had already moved to LT. However, your point is taken. He was not a starter at RT for a full season so it may be that teams had not figured him out yet. Now, they have plenty of tape on him and they know what he can and can not do.
  4. links18

links18 Well-Known Member

10,116 Messages
    1,670 Likes Received
    This would require benching Ogletree's sorry but and playing the best guy. And around and around we go.......
  5. links18

links18 Well-Known Member

10,116 Messages
    1,670 Likes Received
    This organization seems to have an issue with hierarchy. They named Ogletree the #3 receiver in training camp and he just isn't going to lose that status in season except to injury.

There is some reason not to pull the trigger too quickly--see Kapernick/Smith situation in San Francisco, but I don't think the Ogletree and Free situations really compare. Free stunk most of last year and Ogletree has been a bum for like ever.
  6. Vertigo_17

Vertigo_17 Well-Known Member

2,260 Messages
    37 Likes Received
    Then why not have Parnell start and play the first half, then bring in Free in the 2nd (if needed) :)
  7. Dave_in-NC

Dave_in-NC Well-Known Member

12,210 Messages
    858 Likes Received
    Jerry wrote this slug a big fat check. Jerry's ego wont let JG pull the plug.
  8. Zordon

Zordon Well-Known Member

10,392 Messages
    5,917 Likes Received
    this is the exact type of thing that I was hoping would change once Jason became the head coach and a big reason why I am so disappointed in him. he is way more of a players coach then I expected him to be. this type of thing is poison to the culture. the best players need to play, particularly when that player is responsible for protecting our franchise qb.
  9. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

119,053 Messages
    2,972 Likes Received
    It has, but so far mostly in off seasons. Colombo, Gurode, and Davis along with Roy and Barber were all big fat checks under performing.

I do not know if that is the reasoning behind it. I just worry that it could be. Maybe they see something in him that we don't, but for my opinion, Parnell was better.
  10. FuzzyLumpkins

FuzzyLumpkins The Boognish

16,586 Messages
    2,461 Likes Received
    Free has been inconsistent this year. He played well in the loss against the Redskins and Kerrigan the week before. Even in this past game he played much better in the second half after making Graham appear the Pro Bowler in the first. He played well against the Bears and Ravens.

I know people want to string him up but you cannot manage people like that. Garrett has the canned theme of 'adversity' and all that and Free after sucking, comes back and our offense scores 28 points in the second half.

He is not worth his contract so he won't be back. Let that set the realist heart at ease.
  11. yentl911

yentl911 Well-Known Member

1,676 Messages
    340 Likes Received
    I am pretty certain he will be back. There is no way that the team could absorb the cap hit. I think it would be around $10 mil.....ouch!
  12. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

32,623 Messages
    3,150 Likes Received
    They will spread it over two years.

In other words he'll be a June 1st cut.

The only way he has a shot of staying is to greatly reduce his salary for next season... Greatly.
  13. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,808 Messages
    1,674 Likes Received
    inconsistency to me means the guy is not trying hard all the time. He is getting lazy until he gets jacked up by the coaches.
  14. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

13,634 Messages
    5,792 Likes Received
    Free's 2013 Cap Hit:

Cut 4.175M
    Keep 11.175M (4.175M + 7M)
  15. ufcrules1

ufcrules1 Well-Known Member

7,246 Messages
    1,449 Likes Received
    bingo!