1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

help me understand

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by paladin78749, May 1, 2008.

1. paladin78749

paladin78749 Active Member

143 Messages
    28 Likes Received
    Maybe ya'll can help me answer the following questions

Why hasn't the Speed Limit been reset back to 55 mph?
    (This coming from a man in the middle of Texas who hates slow drivers)

If we accept the fact that we will use US force to insure the flow of oil, isn't a Windfall profit tax merely a correctly allocated expense? I can't think of any other Economic sector that can rely upon the military (w/o charge) to insure the supply of their product.

If the price of oil is being driven upwards by massive speculation in the futures market, what/where is the natural counterbalancing force that has been absent from the equation? Do NO short-sellers of oil exist?

Rockets were developed in roughly 1940, 30 years later we walked on the moon.
    If my facts are correct, the model T in 1908 averaged 17 mpg. 100 years later the f-150 averages 16 mpg.
    Putting aside environmental controls and A/C, why has this technology remained so stagnant? Is anyone else as stunned as I that we actually still use internal combustion?

Why would anyone be talking about Oil company subsidies? Ignoring the profit margins for a moment, the dollars are truly astronomical. Why aren't the energy companies responsible for their own exploration and R&D costs? Isn't that how every business in existence continues to flourish?

Your insights are welcome
  2. ScipioCowboy

ScipioCowboy More than meets the eye. Zone Supporter

14,955 Messages
    2,186 Likes Received
    I'll give this question a go.

Oil companies are extremely powerful, and hold great sway over a large number of influential politicians. Consequently, oil companies have the power to suppress alternate forms of energy and any technological advancement that would move us away from oil.
  3. trickblue

trickblue Old Testament... Zone Supporter

28,850 Messages
    317 Likes Received
    yep...
  4. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

60,893 Messages
    4,243 Likes Received
    You say that in sarcasm I take it, sadly you don't realize there is more truth to that than you would like to admit though.:eek::
  5. ScipioCowboy

14,955 Messages
    2,186 Likes Received
    Sarcasm?

Say again?

In the darn near 1,000 posts I've made on this board, what have I said that would make you think I'm being sarcastic right now?
  6. Dallas

Dallas Old bulletproof tiger

11,515 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Assumptions and drawing conclusions for $1000, Alex?
  7. BrAinPaiNt

60,893 Messages
    4,243 Likes Received
    Your sexy voice and fancy penmanship?
  8. ScipioCowboy

14,955 Messages
    2,186 Likes Received
    This would seem to be the case.

I've expressed a myriad of opinions in this forum:

1) My support for the second amendment.

2) My dislike of federally mandated free trade agreements and outsourcing.

3) My belief that all human life deserves legal protection.

4) My issues with secular humanism.

5) My view that states should be able to decide which unions they recognize.

6) My current doubts about global warning but my reluctance to completely dismiss the prospect.

7) My dislike of political buzzwords.

8) My opposition to the direction of US foriegn policy over the past fifty years.

Only three of these positions could be categorized as definitely Republican. Two are distinctly anti-Republican. Three trend towards libertarianism. And the rest are my own personal philosophy.

So why must I necessarily like oil companies?
  9. ScipioCowboy

14,955 Messages
    2,186 Likes Received
    What could be more fitting?

For my 1,000th posting on this board, I'm responding to a comment (made by another man, mind you) about my sex appeal and handwriting.

:laugh2:
  10. BrAinPaiNt

60,893 Messages
    4,243 Likes Received

So everything you said in that post you were being honest and not sarcastic?

If so I humbly apologize for thinking otherwise and agree with your original post.:cool:
  11. ScipioCowboy

14,955 Messages
    2,186 Likes Received
    Absolutely.

My dad listens to a shortwave radio, and he can produce a list of technologies that the oil companies have allegedly quashed.

Of course, many of these shortware types are conspiracy nuts, but there's probably truth in there somewhere. Their accusations against oil companies sound feasible, at least.
  12. BrAinPaiNt

60,893 Messages
    4,243 Likes Received
    Well I humbly apologize for taking you wrong.:cool:

However I would also warn you to take cover as many do not share our views on this topic.:D
  13. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,593 Messages
    1,559 Likes Received
    The 55 MPH limit never worked very well even with massive amounts of money funnelled into enforcement. We are a society that wants speed and that is that.

My mother has a 1994 Toyota Tercell that she still drives. Its a simple little car with a 4 cylinder engine. She averages 38 mpg. Now most of that is highway but even in the city she usually gets around 28-30. Now the technology of that engine is more then 20 years old.
    HOWEVER. It has relatively LITTLE pollution control on it. DESPITE that it still just about passes CURRENT standards for NEW vehicles. A friend of mine owns a garage and tested it once when we had it in for maintenance= I was curious and asked him.
    Take a simple concept and refine it as much as you can. Engines like that would do just fine for about 60% of the vehicles around. For larger vehicles just scale it up a little.
    Not only would it be much cheaper in initial costs, but maintenance would be as well. Not to mention how long that vehicle would last.
  14. Royal Laegotti

Royal Laegotti Dyin' ain't much of a livin', boy!

4,971 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Go to youtube and type in energy non crisis watch all 8 parts, all together it's about 1 hour and 15 minutes, it is absolutely horrifying and fasinating what this fellow has to say! I hope what he says isn't true but sadly it wouldn't surprise me if it is and I have done some other investigating on this topic that leads me to believe he's telling the truth. Anyway just something to chew on if you're searching for answers.:(
  15. theogt

theogt Surrealist Zone Supporter

43,932 Messages
    995 Likes Received
    What a salient point. The fact that it's possible that short-sellers exist MUST mean that speculation-induced bubbles are not possible. You should write a paper on this.

That's usually a good way to look at information -- out of context.

Change "oil companies" to OPEC and I think you'd be correct. As soon as we get to a point where material endeavors to engage in alternative energy sources take place, boom, the oil will drop.
  16. paladin78749

143 Messages
    28 Likes Received
    I think you perceive my questions as trying to rile the masses.
    They aren't intended that way, they are just issues that have come to my mind that I merely don't understand fully, hence the title of my post

From what I've seen speculation, especially in commodities, are generally full of peaks and valleys. Oil has climbed steadily for 3 (?) years. But my expertise is certainly not in micro-economics.

What part of the highest profit of any company in the history of business is "out of context"? Your comfortable giving your hard earned dollars to corporations that are breaking all time profit records? Aren't you a "free-market capitalist" kind of guy? It just seems that corporations scream
    free markets, non-interference, Laissez-faire until the time comes for the Federal budget to be prepared.
  17. paladin78749

143 Messages
    28 Likes Received
    Thanks Royal,
    I'm a dinosaur and on dial-up, so it will take forever to download. I'll do a little hunting and see what I can find.
  18. theogt

theogt Surrealist Zone Supporter

43,932 Messages
    995 Likes Received
    Oil will have its day. It will fall precipitously. Maybe not this year or next, but the current run-up won't last forever. Gold climbed steadily for 4-5 straight years. And now it's falling like a rock.

Simply looking at the number itself is looking at it out of context. If you look at it in terms of a ratio (e.g., net profit margin), it's not that high. When you SPEND billions of dollars, you expect billions in return.

Yes, rent-seeking is a problem. It's not limited to just oil companies, though, so I'm not sure why there's an outcry just for oil companies.
  19. Royal Laegotti

Royal Laegotti Dyin' ain't much of a livin', boy!

4,971 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    You're very welcome and on second thought maybe it's a good thing you have dial up, then maybe you won't see it because this stuff can get depressing. Don't ruin a good day on it, I've made that mistake.:)
  20. paladin78749

143 Messages
    28 Likes Received

I think we are discussing different things
    Your talking about the reasonableness of their profit model.
    I'm merely reflecting a sector that posts profits never seen before in history & then has the utter chutzpah to come to the public and demand subsidies.
    They are saying "All time record profit is nice... but it's not quite enough, gimme some of Theogt's & Paladin's money as well"
    If an outcry isn't a reasonable reaction now, when would it be?