1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Help Sell Me On Jason Garrett

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by TheFinisher, Oct 10, 2012.

1. TheFinisher

TheFinisher Well-Known Member

2,362 Messages
    523 Likes Received
    I've never been a believer in the guy and was very much against the hiring but being that he's Jerry's handpicked-handgroomed HC I understand he'll be here for the long haul, and I need something to point to that gives me hope with Garrett. If there's one thing we know about our owner it's that he loves to be right, and if Garrett proves to be a great HC Jerry will look like a genius... so like it or not we are still in the infancy of Garrett's tenure here.

For his supporters, what are the unique coaching qualities you see in him that made/make you supporters and what has he improved on this team since taking over for Wade?
  2. Numbers921

Numbers921 Benched

817 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    He's only had 5 years to change the "culture" of this team.

GIVE HIM MORE TIME. :laugh2:
  3. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

60,030 Messages
    3,258 Likes Received
    Allow me to be a negative nancy.

I would imagine that since you have never been a believer in him that you will not become a believer in him no matter what anybody says or what points anyone makes in this thread.

I think the only think that can change your opinion is results on the field and until those results change from being a .500 team you will not change your opinion.

IOW, you are going into a premise and asking for information that you pretty much know is not going to change your mind and in doing so just wasting your time along with others.

Now that does not mean you can not ask the question. Nor does it mean others can not respond...but I think if we are honest with ourselves we know it is a waste of time because it will not change your mind.
  4. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

7,261 Messages
    1,898 Likes Received
    in the off season i would have told you that it seems he is pays attention to details, is a disciplinarian, is preaching accountability, has been on SB winnnig teams and learned from sone good coaches so we should be hopeful

however, now in 5 seasons as OC and 2 as HC, i have seen little evidence that this is much more than talk

the players are making the same mistakes and they keep playing
    poor playcalling
    little attention to improving the OL, ST and on and on

i know he is not a difference maker at OC and am losing confidence that he will be a great HC (at least in the near term)
  5. RoyTheHammer

RoyTheHammer Well-Known Member

13,746 Messages
    664 Likes Received
    Considering the first two responses to this thread are both negative, how about maybe somebody actually finds something positive to relate to him about the potential of Jason Garrett before we openly just judge him as someone only looking for negative responses to reinforce his beliefs of JG already?

Even if you do think that's what he's looking for.. seems he isn't the only one being negative about things. To be honest.. i strain to find some positives from the guy myself.
  6. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

7,261 Messages
    1,898 Likes Received
    :rolleyes:

or it is because except for a lot of talk, there is little actual evidence that garrett has what it takes
  7. rocboy22

rocboy22 Active Member

1,606 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    We can't sell you on him today. It is a process. We will need to stack good points for him together on a daily basis to continue in the evolution of convincing you.
  8. GloryDaysRBack

GloryDaysRBack Well-Known Member

9,253 Messages
    643 Likes Received
    Garrett is a beast on draft day. He absolutely changed the culture of how we approach the draft. That's his biggest asset right now.

I was getting ready to start a thread on this. I fear if we can Jason, our drafts will go to crap as well.

He hasn't proven squat as a HC, but I love how our drafts are panning out under him.
  9. TheFinisher

TheFinisher Well-Known Member

2,362 Messages
    523 Likes Received
    I'm not saying I'm going to become a believer in him, but by creating this thread I'm obviously open to having my opinion swayed. Surprisingly enough, being a fan of the team I want to have some faith in my head coach. I just want to hear some positive reinforcement of why Garrett is the one, he seems to have a lot of supporters so there are obviously some positives that I'm not seeing.
  10. Numbers921

Numbers921 Benched

817 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Let's use two picks (including one in the top 10) on a corner when we would've gotten a good one in the second round. BEAST on draft day.
  11. GloryDaysRBack

9,253 Messages
    643 Likes Received
    Which good corner could we have Gotten in round 2?

Don't be foolish. Our drafts under Garrett have been stellar
  12. Numbers921

Numbers921 Benched

817 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Ever hear of Janoris Jenkins?

The draft slots don't match up exactly, but they certainly could've traded down and been in position to pick him. We would've had more players to fix this mess in that scenario. Instead, two picks were used to fill one hole and the secondary still can't cover (because surprise the front seven isn't that good).
  13. GloryDaysRBack

9,253 Messages
    643 Likes Received
    Yeah. They don't match up at all.

And Jenkins isn't half The corner Claiborne is. Jenkins was abused like a rag doll vs AZ. If Kolb was worth anything at QB Jenkins would've given up multiple Tds
  14. GloryDaysRBack

9,253 Messages
    643 Likes Received
    I don't even agree w moving up for Claiborne. But at least he's damn good.

Smith
    Carter
    Murray
    Claiborne

Find me a better 4 some in the last two drafts from one team. Good luck.

This doesn't even include Crawford, whoo really like as well. But he's far from proven.
  15. Numbers921

Numbers921 Benched

817 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Because Claiborne AND the 50 million dollar corner didn't get taken to school last week? Claiborne got toasted by a guy who doesn't even regularly play WR.
  16. rocboy22

rocboy22 Active Member

1,606 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    really? what do you think Hester plays, long snapper?????
  17. Numbers921

Numbers921 Benched

817 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    He's more of a kick returner than anything else. The guy doesn't even wear a WR number. That should tell you everything you need to do know.
  18. Proximo

Proximo Well-Known Member

964 Messages
    588 Likes Received
    To say our secondary can't cover is ridiculous. Between Carr, Claiborne, Jenkins & Scandrick they've been covering pretty damn good. I believe last week was the 1st game this year that our defense allowed a WR to catch a TD. That speaks for itself.

And our front seven isn't that good? Really? Ware, Lee, Carter, Hatcher, Spencer? Yea they're not that good....
  19. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

60,030 Messages
    3,258 Likes Received
    You can openly judge him of only looking for negative responses to reinforce his beliefs in JG already if you want just don't add Me as part of your We because you clearly are projecting me into some fantasy that I did not write. IOW you are off the mark...as usual.

Furthermore by your own fantasy standards that you are trying to weave me into with you, you still are confused about how some things work.

You are basically arguing with yourself over an argument that I did not make yet you tried to project onto me.

There was more wrong in your one post than most people can get wrong in a whole thread.
  20. GloryDaysRBack

9,253 Messages
    643 Likes Received
    Find me a better 4 some. If not. I don't want to hear it