1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Help Sell Me On Jason Garrett

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by TheFinisher, Oct 10, 2012.

1. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

18,879 Messages
    863 Likes Received
    Just the high points....

Garrett is well educated, dedicated and driven.
    Few people view him as someone who will not succeed.

Garrett was always the long term option. He was never the quick fix of a BP but unlike BP he isn't retiring this decade.

He has shared history with and understands Jerry Jones. He can reach him on important issues.

He is a team first guy and always was. He focuses on the whole and on the big picture.

His process based philosophy is exactly what most major corporations are using today. Garrett is a carbon-copy of most high-level managers in many fields.

Young, but talented guys are going to make mistakes. You go that youthful, educated route because you expect them to grow from each mistake and to ascend.

Most good coaches out there right now went through tough times. Sean Payton was demoted and fired as a play caller of all things. Coughlin had his trials along the way. Belichek obviously had issues in Cleveland.

Garrett signals to me, Jerry Jones' final coaching move. I think this is a baton passing. Jerry can see handing over his Cowboys to Stephen and Jason but to very, very, very few other people on this planet.
  2. Joe Realist

Joe Realist No Kool-Aid here!

6,387 Messages
    167 Likes Received
    Atlanta and Baltimore offered Garrett a job. I think they are more than happy with the people they have in place (Harbaugh and Smith). I do not believe Garrett would still be coaching either of those teams after 5 years. Sometimes the best moves are ones that don't work out.

I do believe Jason will be successful, just not in Dallas.
  3. Gaede

Gaede Well-Known Member

7,579 Messages
    534 Likes Received
    I don't care who he impressed in an interview.

I care that our team is no good and he's in charge of it--and has been for a while.

Pretty simple.
  4. Hostile

Hostile Peace Zone Supporter

118,436 Messages
    1,487 Likes Received
    :post:
  5. RoyTheHammer

RoyTheHammer Well-Known Member

13,741 Messages
    663 Likes Received
    :laugh2:

I guess the "coaches film" didn't show how Kolb was receiving look out blocks all night from his OL, eh Coach?

Not to mention Jenkins would have had a pick on a great route he jumped against Fitz, where Fitz knew he was beat and basically intentionally facemasked him to prevent the INT.. although it was not called by our great union officials.
  6. Numbers921

Numbers921 Benched

817 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I agree with this. I actually like what Garrett is trying to do here in Dallas. The problem is he was a part of the regime that poisoned the core of this roster and continues to infect the team. How can Jason Garrett hold anyone here accountable when he wasn't accountable in the some of the darkest moments in franchise history? When Wade Phillips was fired, the house should've burned down. All of the coaches should've been gone and probably even more of the players than they got rid of.
  7. Hostile

118,436 Messages
    1,487 Likes Received
    I admit I am shocked. Not because of any opinion on you. Because I view the board in general as people who have their minds made up and are unwilling to see anything else.
  8. Numbers921

Numbers921 Benched

817 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Bottom line here. :bow:
  9. RoyTheHammer

13,741 Messages
    663 Likes Received
    Also, my excuse for not watching "the film" is that i don't want to pay 60 bucks and waste 6 hours a day sitting on my couch in my living room with my beer goggles on and a bowl of cheesey puffs intently watching every play and jotting down meaningless, cheese stained notes, acting like im now an official NFL certified head coach.

If you're going to accuse me of an excuse, at least get the right one, lol.
  10. AMERICAS_FAN

AMERICAS_FAN Active Member

7,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    If you hear players talk about him it's positive. They have bought in. Also Garrett has command of press conferences and the media recognize and respect his authority. That's a positive. What we don't see are the inner workings of the locker room, but these two examples are glimpses into it. This is a stark change from years past. Garrett inherited a mess and he's cleaning it up. Progress is being made and that should be the focus - not the addition progress still needed. In time that will be made too.
  11. Doomsday

Doomsday Rising Star

10,184 Messages
    128 Likes Received
    I am pretty down on JG right now, but I think we have to continue to ride the wave. This is the path that was chosen, it would be foolish to not give him a fair shake. People wanted to run Kubiak out of town up until last season, if they had who knows where the franchise would be now. We have to take our lumps with JG and hope he is able to become the coach that it is thought he can be. I wish we didnt have a coach who was learning to the job, but it is what it is.
  12. Numbers921

Numbers921 Benched

817 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    The players talked positive about Wade Phillips too. They were basically having a rager when Parcells left. The Giants players didn't like Tom Coughlin for the longest time. How did those things work out? What the players think about a coach doesn't amount to a hill of beans. As long as the coach has the authority to get players to do their jobs well, it really doesn't matter.
  13. Flinger

Flinger Active Member

768 Messages
    33 Likes Received
    He's had 2
  14. Numbers921

Numbers921 Benched

817 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Nah, Garrett's been here since 2007, buddy.
  15. RoyTheHammer

13,741 Messages
    663 Likes Received
    Ah, well this is his 3rd year as HC and his 5th year as OC now.
  16. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

59,822 Messages
    2,923 Likes Received
    The only ignorance displayed was you not only not understanding what I was saying, turning it into what you want it to say and than arguing with yourself over what you created. And you are STILL getting it wrong.

So...you are wrong in what I was saying. You also tried to twist what I was saying into your own meaning and if that is not bad enough you start arguing against what you are saying even though you twisted what I was saying.

You are on a record pace of wrong. You are so far ahead that I don't think anyone else has a chance at the medal.

I will go back to something I originally said, and of course you apparently glossed over, the only thing that will truly change minds is results on the field an until they change from a .500 team win loss results the opinion will not change.

Those that think he is great and doing the right thing will keep on thinking that for now.
    Those that thing he is terrible and we need to change coaches will keep on thinking that for now.

The only thing that will change that is putting more Wins instead of Losses in the column and that includes the playoffs.

This is not magic. You can try to twist words and meanings to fit whatever goofy agenda or idea you have and then you can argue it till the cows come home...it will not change the fact that you are wrong.
  17. DallasDW00ds0n

DallasDW00ds0n Well-Known Member

3,068 Messages
    164 Likes Received
    what has this thread come to!!?

Lets talk about football...

We need to ban topics of Garrett and Jerry Jones until AFTER Sunday.

The bye week destroyed this forum. lol
  18. Hostile

118,436 Messages
    1,487 Likes Received
    You don't change culture as an OC.
  19. bigdnlaca

bigdnlaca Active Member

921 Messages
    26 Likes Received
    I'm not going to lie. I was kind of a Garrett basher but it got me thinking how Coughlin was. They wanted him out in 09 and 10 if I'm not mistaken and they just went on to win the SB in 11.

My conclusion is to give Garrett the year. If he stinks up the joint these next 10 plus games, I think they should go a different way but this season is still up for grabs in NFC East and the Cowboys might show improvement in the next month or 2.
  20. RoyTheHammer

13,741 Messages
    663 Likes Received
    :laugh2:

So again.. the poster was simply asking for some positives about JG that anyone has seen to help lift his strong negative image of the guy so far, and you implied and assumed right away that the OP had some ulterior motive in asking as if he didn't really want to hear anything positive and was going to dismiss everything positive that anyone said anyway, and only made the post in an underhanded attempt to further criticize JG.

You can continue with these posts of nonsense, but it was pretty clear what you implied and assumed, brain.

..and again, in accusing him of just wanting to be negative about the topic, that's all you ended up being.