1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Help Sell Me On Jason Garrett

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by TheFinisher, Oct 10, 2012.

1. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

118,745 Messages
    2,425 Likes Received
    Good point, but in all fairness, Coughlin was on the hot seat much sooner than that. His own players nearly rebelled against him because they said he pushed them too hard. He's been on the hot seat in NY 3 or 4 times.

Now, he has a lifetime pass.
  2. RoyTheHammer

RoyTheHammer Well-Known Member

13,748 Messages
    669 Likes Received
    Agreed, you can't change the culture.. but his offenses in the time he's been here seem to be getting worse, wouldn't you say Hos. He's probably had a pretty good share in who we've brought in on the offensive side of the ball before he was HC, too.
  3. Gaede

Gaede Well-Known Member

7,809 Messages
    774 Likes Received
    Everything Garrett says, and everything people say about him, sounds right.

But the problem is the results aren't there. What we hear off the field and what we see on the field are two entirely different things.

You can't simply just define a 'process' that guarantees success in the NFL.

I believe Garrett is overconfident--even arrogant--with his 'process'. He thinks it will result in success regardless of whether this particular process is even the right one for the job. We frequently complain that Garrett is predictable with his playcalling. That he believes it doesn't matter what you're doing--if you do it well, they won't stop you. We often complain about his apparent refusal to upgrade an obviously weak unit on the team. Or bench under-performing players and weak links. I think we see these things because Garrett has this stubborn belief in himself--and the process he has defined--and refuses to challenge this belief. Because everything is a 'process' and as long as we embody this 'process' in everything we do, we'll win. It's our fundamental flaw. He cannot change what we do because he won't change what he does.

This isn't a corporation. It's a football team.

I don't care how good the head coach sounds behind a podium. I don't care how he has a winning attitude and likes the 'right kind of guy'. We're not building an office full of 9-5er robots, we're building a team of players whose sole job is to beat the other team of players up.
  4. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

60,905 Messages
    4,274 Likes Received
    You and Danny need a Fresca because you are over par.
  5. Flinger

Flinger Active Member

783 Messages
    52 Likes Received
    Not as Head Coach and 'in charge' of changing the culture... sorry, buddy...
  6. bigdnlaca

bigdnlaca Active Member

968 Messages
    31 Likes Received
    Yeah I didn't want to go that far back but it shows that sometimes a coach needs time. There aren't that many George Seiforts (sp?) or Switzers in the world.
  7. Hostile

118,745 Messages
    2,425 Likes Received
    How many Pro Bowl players on the 2007 Offense? How many now?

And you wonder why it seems to be getting worse?

Football is cyclical. It will come back around to where he has those players as they develop into that kind of talent. Tyron Smith, DeMarco Murray, and Dez Bryant all have that kind of talent. Combine them with Miles, Tony, and Jason and once the season ends they might be in those discussions.

But let's be real here. From the day he took over as Head Coach until right now he has changed 7 of his 11 Offensive starters. The lone holdovers are Miles, Jason, Tony (who was actually injured when he took over) and Doug Free, and Free was starting for the first time at LT.

Name me one other Head Coach who has done that in 2 years and has an Offense blowing your mind. Name me a coach who is doing it with 5 changes in 2 years.

The expectations of instant gratification are unreasonable. It's a process.
  8. RoyTheHammer

13,748 Messages
    669 Likes Received
    K Brain. :)
  9. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

32,996 Messages
    719 Likes Received
    Only thing you need to know about the OP
  10. Flinger

Flinger Active Member

783 Messages
    52 Likes Received
    Crickets....

Great points, Hos
  11. bark

bark Well-Known Member

2,260 Messages
    948 Likes Received
    it wasn't that long ago that people were screaming for kubiak's head down in houston...
    winning is the ultimate cure all....
  12. RoyTheHammer

13,748 Messages
    669 Likes Received
    Im fine with it being a process.. but i'd like to see some improvement in that process at some point. The things that were holding us back when Wade was here, that everybody had assumed were going on because of him, are still happening and still hindering this team.. mainly on the offensive side of the ball.

The sloppy play, the bad penalties, the miscomms, lack of focus, lack of preparedness..

..and now its happening with guys Garrett has hand picked and brought in here. So, to me, im not seeing the progress in the process that you and others are seeing i guess.

Again, a process is fine, as long as you start to have consistent improvement. How long am i to believe that one day in the future, if we stick with JG, all of a sudden the lights will come on for this team and we'll suddenly be doing things on the field the right way, looking prepared, focused, executing well, playing with confidence, and finally clicking on all cylinders?

I don't hate JG by any means, and i was all for giving him a chance when he took over because he spoke about things that i believed in. Discipline, hard work, being prepared, etc..

Yet in his 3rd season now.. i have yet to see those things manifest themselves on the field on gameday for us.
  13. RoyTheHammer

13,748 Messages
    669 Likes Received
    Irony..
  14. Hostile

118,745 Messages
    2,425 Likes Received
    By "at some point" however, you mean immediately. Do you not see the irony of that?

Once those things do manifest themselves on game day they will be dismissed anyway. Immediately.

Instant gratification. It sells a lot of people.
  15. RoyTheHammer

13,748 Messages
    669 Likes Received
    We're in year 3 of JG's tenure as HC. I don't think that qualifies as "immediately" to most people of reason.

When he first took over, i didn't look for results immediately. As i said, i believed in the things he was saying and that they would move us in the right direction over the course of a few years.

Now, in year 3, we haven't budged yet. If we don't see some actual progress by the end of the year, then next year, i believe, he will have to show something "immediately" in order to remain a HC in this league.
  16. Flinger

Flinger Active Member

783 Messages
    52 Likes Received
    Irony or Sarcasim? I can never tell... :)

Hey - you mention you would like to see some improvement....

How about the 4th ranking Defense? Isn't that improvement? While rankings can be fleeting and based upon opponents (as we've seen dropping from 1st to 4th in 1 week), there can be no question there is a completely different mentality on the Defense. Guys are not whinning. They are accountable. And, they are eager to get back in there and 'mix it up'. Carr, Lee, Carter, Spencer, Ratliff....

After the debacle on Defense that Garrett inherited last year - he has managed to weed out the cancers and replace them with tough minded players.

As Hos mentions, the Offense is a work in progress with considerable turnover in the past 2 years while maintaining the core of skilled players.

Attention to Special Teams needs improvement. After 1/4 of the season, he is making more adjustments.

He needs time...
  17. Hostile

118,745 Messages
    2,425 Likes Received
    And I separate years, because last year no longer matters to this year. We've got 5 guys playing new spots on the OL.

Shocking that there would be issues to fix I know.
  18. Numbers921

Numbers921 Benched

817 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Who picked the two new free agents who can't play?
  19. RoyTheHammer

13,748 Messages
    669 Likes Received
    How much time are you willing to give him?

Also, you have to ask yourself how much of the defensive play this season do you credit to Jason.. having never played defense and never coached it before anywhere?

Also, if you can't spell a word, you shouldn't try to use it to mock somebody with. Just a thought..
  20. RoyTheHammer

13,748 Messages
    669 Likes Received
    I bet alot of ex head coaches in the NFL wish they had you as their owner/GM.