1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Hennings elected to College HOF...Emmitt too

Discussion in 'History Zone' started by Thick 'N Hearty, May 16, 2006.

1. Thick 'N Hearty

Thick 'N Hearty Active Member

2,359 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    into College Football Hall of Fame. Not too bad for an Air Force lineman. He was always one of my favorites and thought it was awesome he flew A-10s in Desert Storm before joining the Cowboys.

http://www.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123020356
  2. bobtheflob

bobtheflob New Member

1,768 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Good story. He deserved it.
  3. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

64,568 Messages
    3,430 Likes Received
    Emmitt headed to college Hall of Fame

[SIZE=-1]04:43 PM CDT on Tuesday, May 16, 2006

[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]Associated Press[/SIZE]
    NEW YORK – Former Cowboys Emmitt Smith and Thomas Everett were among 13 players elected to the college football Hall of Fame on Tuesday.

Smith, who played at Florida, became the NFL's career rushing leader with the Cowboys. Everett, who played at Baylor, spent the 1992 and '93 seasons with Dallas.

Legendary coaches Joe Paterno and Bobby Bowden also got in – although it took a rules change to make it happen.

Instead of requiring a coach be retired, the National Football Foundation decided to make any active coach over 75 eligible for induction.

With the red tape cut, the winningest coaches in Division I-A were elected.
    "I wasn't expecting it because I thought you had to die first – and I didn't want to volunteer for that," Bowden said during a conference call. "They might have changed the rules to get me and Joe in. But I'm very excited about it."

Paterno, who will turn 80 in December, has won 354 games and two national championships in 40 seasons as Penn State's head coach. No one has ever coached longer and won more games at one Division I-A school.

The 76-year-old Bowden leads major college football with 359 victories, 286 – and two national titles – since taking over at Florida State in 1976.

"I look forward to being in New York with my good friend Bobby Bowden and am delighted that we are going into the Hall of Fame together," Paterno said in a statement released by Penn State. "Hopefully, I deserve it."

Joining Paterno and Bowden are 13 players, including Heisman Trophy winners Mike Rozier of Nebraska and Florida State's Charlie Ward, who helped Bowden win his first national title in 1993.

Virginia Tech's Bruce Smith, the NFL's all-time sacks leader, made it in his first year of eligibility.

The rest of the class is Colorado running back Bobby Anderson, Miami safety Bennie Blades, Minnesota defensive tackle Carl Eller, Washington defensive lineman Steve Emtman, Air Force defensive lineman Chad Hennings, Tennessee guard Chip Kell, Purdue quarterback Mike Phipps and Stanford linebacker Jeff Siemon.

They will be inducted in New York in December and enshrined at the Hall of Fame in South Bend, Ind., in the summer of 2007.

LINK
  4. THUMPER

THUMPER Papa

9,522 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I wonder why they didn't include Hennings as a former Cowboy since he played a lot longer with us than Everett.