1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Henry Melton??

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by kirkjrk, Jan 20, 2013.

1. kirkjrk

kirkjrk Active Member

905 Messages
    38 Likes Received
    Since Marinelli is now the Def. Line coach as he was in Chicago(DLC or DC), maybe he could have some influence in getting Melton to Dallas. Also, Melton is from a community close to Dallas, Grapevine. I just see the stars starting to aline for this FA signing. Yes it would cost to get him, but it could reap major benefits for a few years.

Your thoughts.
  2. AsthmaField

AsthmaField Outta bounds

10,101 Messages
    1,368 Likes Received
    It's possible, because of the switch we made and because of Marinelli, but I don't think it's too likely.

Melton is a terrific player for this defense, but he would cost a whole lot, I'd bet and while I do think we will clear up space to sign some guys, I don't think we would blow it all in one spot like that for Melton.

If you look at our needs, you could list DT and OG as 1a and 1b. Now, if you look at the cost of signing an upper tier free agent at each of those positions, guard would be a good bit less expensive. For that reason, I think it is more likely for Dallas to sign a free agent OG or C and to look to the draft to fill any DT position.

To take that thought further, Dallas likes to use first round picks on DL and they particularly don't like to use first round picks on the interior OL. So, getting Melton in free agency would take DT out of the equation in the first round and increase the likelyhood they would have to use a first at Guard.

It just makes more fiscal sense to go G in FA and DT in the draft. Either way we end up with a starter in FA on one line and a first round pick on the other line. Except one way we spend a lot more money.

Of course, that could all be wrong if they think Melton is extraordinary enough and too good of a chance to add a blue chip player... but I think it is probably closer to what will actually happen.

JMO, of course.
  3. Woods

Woods Active Member

12,374 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    I guess if we get a quality DL in FA, we can focus on drafting OL and Safety.
  4. BruceLee5450

BruceLee5450 Well-Known Member

2,107 Messages
    35 Likes Received
    It is definitely the right thinking... Build a strong d-line who can do everything you ask whether it be run stopper or creating pressure up the middle. I am all for it, if Spencer walks
  5. IAmLegend

IAmLegend Well-Known Member

2,988 Messages
    693 Likes Received
    Would love it if we could afford him. Don't think we can though. Some team will overpay for him.
  6. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,031 Messages
    960 Likes Received
    Melton isn't in the draft.
    this is the draft zone.
  7. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

10,735 Messages
    3,473 Likes Received
    If the Cowboys sign a big-name expensive Free Agent, I think that he would be at or near the top of the their list.
  8. Macnalty

Macnalty Active Member

940 Messages
    39 Likes Received
    I agree no in the draft zone, he will be too expensive IMO.
    It would change the face of the draft in the first two rounds.
  9. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

30,998 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Sheldon Richardson