1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Twitter: Henry Melton's Contract Details

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Little Jr, Mar 18, 2014.

1. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,283 Messages
    1,177 Likes Received
    Only on hook for 5m at max for entire season.
    Can cut him in off-season and not owe him another cent.
  2. hornitosmonster

hornitosmonster Well-Known Member

3,831 Messages
    209 Likes Received
    Props to the front office. Well done
  3. waving monkey

waving monkey Well-Known Member

1,643 Messages
    569 Likes Received
    give Jones credit? the hell you say. Some here would faint first
  4. DCBoysfan

DCBoysfan Hardwork and Dedication Zone Supporter

4,394 Messages
    139 Likes Received
    That makes sense.
  5. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

34,508 Messages
    1,497 Likes Received
    I won't. I'll try my best to spread it out. It may well end up being a 4 year deal but based on what was reported earlier, I see no evidence of that. They could also go the other way on the 9 Million. Lets say they draft talent that shows promise, the team could simply escalate the 9 Million into 2015 and clear the books in order to set up for younger players on rookie contracts. I mean, a lot of things could happen that we don't know just yet.
  6. dragon_mikal

dragon_mikal Darth Jones strikes again! Zone Supporter

5,032 Messages
    1,039 Likes Received
    Seems like a great deal...low risk with potentially high reward. Gotta give Jerry props for not jumping head first into the shallow end of the pool on this one.

Thanks for the info.
  7. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

49,355 Messages
    3,643 Likes Received
    A lot of truth in that but really doubt Marinelli contributed much to the final dollars being offered. Still it's clear he really helped getting Melton here good point.
  8. Little Jr

Little Jr Well-Known Member

2,728 Messages
    345 Likes Received
    can one of you cap gurus break down what the cap hit will be each year? If it s possible to do so.
  9. unionjack8

unionjack8 Well-Known Member

1,955 Messages
    283 Likes Received
    Have we seen base salaries yet?
  10. JackWagon

JackWagon Well-Known Member

1,394 Messages
    114 Likes Received
    i just hope he lives up to that eventual contract. If he gets Fitzgerald and MegaTron money he better be making plays ... not having 2 catch games and disappearing in big games and at crunch time.
  11. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

75,878 Messages
    2,111 Likes Received
    I agree but to me that is what makes this deal good, Dallas is locked into 1 year and Melton has to go out and prove himself. He has the talent to be a top player and it will be Marinelli job to get the most out of him. Personally I think this is a very good deal for all parties. Melton goes to a system he knows very well and a coach he knows as he tries to earn the bigger deal, Dallas get a player who has played well enough to earn a spot on the Pro Bowl and is an athletic freak.
  12. Kaiser

Kaiser Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

750 Messages
    492 Likes Received
    They told me that if that idiot Jerry was running the cap Hatcher and Ware would count 14 Million against the 2014 Cap - and they were right!

(just not with Dallas)
  13. JackWagon

JackWagon Well-Known Member

1,394 Messages
    114 Likes Received
    This will be great if he comes back off that ACL to a pro bowl caliber player. But here we go again betting on players that have been hurt recently (#50, #24, #9)
  14. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

75,878 Messages
    2,111 Likes Received
    ACL injuries are not that uncommon and with today’s sports medicine doctors are doing a much better job. I love to have players who never got hurt and outside of this ACL Melton has never been hurt. Dallas on a 1 year deal with a 3 year option in my view is damn good and really not sure why some seem unhappy with this. We have younger player in here who has some real talent and his rehab is on schedule
  15. bkight13

bkight13 Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

2,322 Messages
    627 Likes Received
    Hatcher was pretty invisible towards the end of the year. He had a couple nagging injuries from shouldering the load all year. I was also turned off from all the "pay me" stuff. I understand he earned it, but I didn't like it. I think that Ware, Ratliff, Spencer and Hatcher all got obsessed with their contracts and I'm glad we have moved on.

6-7 hungry 20somethings is better than 4-5 rich 30somethings. Draft a couple more Rushmen and we are looking pretty good on the DL.
  16. dallasdave

dallasdave Well-Known Member

2,658 Messages
    327 Likes Received
    Nice deal, and good to see the Cowboys can do a one and done, if he doesn't work out.
  17. bkight13

bkight13 Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

2,322 Messages
    627 Likes Received
    We haven't seen any of the breakdowns yet. Even the incentives for 2014 are important. If they are LTBE(likely to be earned) they count in 2014. If they are NLTBE(not likely to be earned) they will count in 2015. His cap hit in 2014 could be a low as 2-3m.

If it's a straight 3yr/24m extension with 9m guaranteed, Dallas could add a couple of voidable years to spread out the bonus or just do a straight 3yr breakdown, assuming the 9m is a signing/roster bonus

2015 4m salary 7m cap hit
    2016 5m salary 8m cap hit
    2017 6m salary 9m cap hit
  18. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,283 Messages
    1,177 Likes Received
    Very likely that 2015 salary is low and that the incentives are classified NLTBE given the little playing time Melton had in 2013. 1 sack for instance is NLTBE.

I expect

2014: 2m hit 2m push to 2015
    2015 8m SB, 1m base all guaranteed cap ~4.75M
    2016 6m base cap ~8.5 if not adjusted down with restructure.
    2017 8m base cap ~10.5 but not gonna happen without restructure.
    bkight13 likes this.
  19. Kaiser

Kaiser Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

750 Messages
    492 Likes Received
    Not that Broaddus is an authority but he does have access, he just said on Twitter that Melton's cap hit for 2014 is 2.75 Million. That is outstanding if true, for reference Hatcher got a 9MM signing bonus with 10.5MM of this salary guaranteed (only a 3.75 cap hit for this year however).
    Common Sense likes this.
  20. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

31,715 Messages
    2,486 Likes Received
    According to Mikey... The 2014 cap hit is $3.5 mil...

It that is the figure, it leaves about $4 mil in cap space.

Could pick up another couple of players.
    Kaiser and Common Sense like this.