1. CowboysZone Upgrade Coming Soon! For more information, click here.

Here is some of the 2009 $410 Billion spending bill

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by Jon88, Feb 23, 2009.

1. Jon88

Jon88 Benched

7,665 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Fiscal Responsibility? Not from this Congress...

ABC News' Jonathan Karl reports: The House Appropriations Committee just posted its $410 billion 2009 Omnibus spending bill. It's a doozy. This is the bill that will fund the government's operations until the end of the fiscal year. It's larded with thousands (so many, I can't count them all yet) of earmarks and adds up an increase in overall discretionary spending of more than 8 percent, the biggest one year increase since 1978 (with the exception of the spending boost after the September 11 attacks).

And this is a bi-partisan feeding frenzy. Roughly 40 percent of the money for earmarks (i.e. pet projects inserted by individual lawmakers) have been inserted by Republicans.

I am still combing through the bill, but here is what has caught my eye so far:

- The City of North Pole, Alaska (motto: "Where the Spirit of Christmas Lives Year Round") gets $1 million to improve its wastewater treatment system. That's $571.43 dollar per citizen.

- $1.75 million to acquire land for the Cape Cod National Seashore.

- $2.2 million for the Center for Grape Genetics in Geneva, NY

- $2.4 million for the Southeastern Poultry Research Lab in Athens, GA

- $42,000 for "Arbuscular Mycontizal Fungi" in Wyndmoor, PA

- $1 million for Corn and Soybean Research in Wooster, OH

- $1.8 million for the Honey Bee Lab in Weslaco, TX

- $1.8 million for Swine Odor and Manure Management Research in Ames, Iowa

- $443,000 for Beaver Management and Control in Mississippi

- $208,000 for Beaver Management and Control in North Carolina

- Several hundred thousand for "Blackbird Management" programs in KS, LA, ND and SD.

- $657,000 for Brown Tree Snake Management in Guam

- $1,049,000 for "Mormon Crickets" in Utah (I am told they are neither Mormon nor are they crickets)

- $162,000 for Rodent Control in Hawaii

- $209,000 to "Improve Blueberry Production and Efficiency" in Georgia

- $254,00 for the "Montana Sheep Institute"

- $413,000 for Tri-State Joint Peanut Research in Alabama

- $2.9 million for Shrimp Aquaculture in AZ, HI, LA, MA, MS, SC and TX

- $277 million for 2nd Avenue Subway

- $210 million for LIRR terminal in Grand Central
  2. JBond

JBond Well-Known Member

6,731 Messages
    38 Likes Received
    I am sure every penny is justified. Congress would never spend more money than absolutely necessary and Obama would never allow earmarks in a bill he signs. You should know better.
  3. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

36,713 Messages
    2,966 Likes Received
    - $2.9 million for Shrimp Aquaculture in AZ,

:lmao:
  4. JBond

JBond Well-Known Member

6,731 Messages
    38 Likes Received
    Another spending bill. Almost half a billion and almost no response. Have people just grown weary of the huge numbers thrown at them by the Obama regime? Has Obama spending fatigue already set in? Everyone is cool with the Federal Government taking an additional $410 billion to run the government until October?
  5. ajk23az

ajk23az Through Pain Comes Clarity

7,724 Messages
    87 Likes Received
    Hey! We need our shrimp to stay cheap down here :D /sarcasm.
  6. DaBoys4Life

DaBoys4Life Benched

15,621 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    What the hell is this ?
  7. JBond

JBond Well-Known Member

6,731 Messages
    38 Likes Received
    It is right up there with the $30 million they spent on a damn frog in San Francisco in the "stimulus" bill.
  8. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Backwoods Sexy Staff Member

63,376 Messages
    6,949 Likes Received
    Good grief...I mean it is bad enough you believed that $30 million was actually set aside just for one animal instead of protecting a number of wet lands but you STILL got the animal wrong that they were falsely using as outrage.

:laugh2:

I mean I can understand being mad that some of the money in the stimulus bill was being set aside for wetlands since that really has nothing to do with stimulus but for people to actually believe it was set aside just to save one animal is laughable. And I get accused of being assimilated by the media.
  9. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

81,661 Messages
    5,552 Likes Received
    Didn't you guys get the memo from Mr. Schumer? Americans do not mind a little pork. I will say they way the Government is spending we are all getting porked.
  10. BrAinPaiNt

63,376 Messages
    6,949 Likes Received
    Apparently he is right when you actually think about it. Because we keep electing Repus and Dems to positions and they keep spending money money money.

If we did not mind it so much, we would not keep electing them.

Well...can't say we as you or I. I didn't get who I wanted in and I did not get my state reps in I wanted in...but people as a whole I guess keep it going.
  11. Doomsday101

81,661 Messages
    5,552 Likes Received
    Well Obama is breaking records, he is spending in 1 month what it took Bush 8 years to spend.
  12. BrAinPaiNt

63,376 Messages
    6,949 Likes Received
    Really? W's own stimulus plan, the Tarp plan and wars in Iraq and Afghan with numerous spending bills that he NEVER vetoed until the Dems got control.

Hmm...me thinks you are stretch armstronging it a tad.
  13. SkinsFan28

SkinsFan28 Well-Known Member

1,016 Messages
    26 Likes Received
    whine is VERY IMPORTANT to stimulating the economy

everyone should manage and control their beavers!!!

the variations on this joke are probably as endless as Montana's sheep

i heard the green line was envious:D
  14. Doomsday101

81,661 Messages
    5,552 Likes Received
    Me think Obama is spending like crazy and the people who are getting the money are now asking for even more and we are going to hand it over and we will have yet another right around the corner. Sorry no what Obama is doing has been the largest spending in American history and there is no end is sight. He will spend us dry and the people are going to sit there with a smile on their face because he speaks so well and take it.
  15. Doomsday101

81,661 Messages
    5,552 Likes Received
    Ward managed his beaver. :laugh2:
  16. BrAinPaiNt

63,376 Messages
    6,949 Likes Received
    Never argued that he is not spending like a drunken sailor or that it will end anytime soon.

Only argued your point that he has spent more in one month than W did in 8 years.
  17. Doomsday101

81,661 Messages
    5,552 Likes Received
    it is not that far off
  18. BrAinPaiNt

63,376 Messages
    6,949 Likes Received
    W's stimulus and the Tarp were around a trillion combined.

That is not even counting the Iraq or Afghan wars.

W spent more money than all of his predecessors by a decent amount.

I think people underestimate how much that man spent.

Now this does not excuse Obama and it in no way defends his spending.

But your argument was off base and I think you know it.
  19. Doomsday101

81,661 Messages
    5,552 Likes Received
    1 month, sorry no I don't think it is off base to compare 8 years to over a trillion in 1 month. I agree the republicans spent way to much which is why they no longer are in power yet Obama is getting a free ride spending this type of money and the early results are nothing more than the same companines saying we need even more. GM, Crystler need more now AIG needs more and we hand in over like it is nothing. Sorry but the fact is Obama is spending way out of line compared to any President in the US and has only been in office 1 month and that is a fact check it out yourself Obama spending has never been seen in the history of the United States bar none
  20. BrAinPaiNt

63,376 Messages
    6,949 Likes Received
    How is he getting a free ride exactly? I mean most in here are complaining about it. The Republicans are voting no consistantly. We have governors saying they will not take the money.
    So how is he getting a free ride?

But saying one month...which passed a few days ago is the same as 8 years of spending is not correct no matter how much you try to make it so.