1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Herman Edwards ranks the head coaches...

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by Risen Star, Aug 28, 2012.

1. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

19,813 Messages
    5,341 Likes Received
    He doesn't rank them 1-32. Instead he puts them into tiers. He's got Garrett in the "Jury is still out" tier. Others on that level: Pete Carroll, Chan Gailey, Romeo Crennell, Mike Mularkey, Mike Munchak, Ron Rivera, Leslie Frazier and Pat Shurmur. The only lower tier is "first year coaches".

-

Jason Garrett -- Having been in the Cowboys' organization as a player as well as a coach, Garrett is familiar with how things work in Dallas. He knows the dynamics of the organization and knows Jerry Jones will have a great deal of input on personnel acquisitions and the draft. But Jones will also put what he considers a winning team into the coach's hands.

The big problem in Dallas in expectations. There are always expectations with that star on the side of the helmet. And Garrett didn't live up to them last season, missing the playoffs.

He'll realize that he needs to balance the offense, running the ball more, and coach the other side of the ball, as well. In only his second full season as a head coach, he'll protect the defense more this season.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8289148/nfl-ranking-all-32-nfl-coaches-2012-season
  2. fortdick

fortdick Well-Known Member

5,412 Messages
    35 Likes Received
    Wonder how Herm would rate himself?
  3. KevinU

KevinU Active Member

318 Messages
    39 Likes Received
  4. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

13,810 Messages
    885 Likes Received
    What number did Herm have for him? Could swear I was thumbing through Phil Steele's mag about a month ago and he had Garrett at number 20.
  5. Risen Star

19,813 Messages
    5,341 Likes Received
    He didn't rank them 1-32 here but there are 19 coaches in the tiers above his.

Bet ya didn't know Norv Turner was an "elite" head coach, did ya?
  6. Risen Star

19,813 Messages
    5,341 Likes Received
    I'll just post the tiers and coaches for the guys who can't read it. All his comments have to be read through the link.

Hall of Fame worthy - Belichick, Shanahan, Coughlin, Fisher, Reid, Tomlin.

Elite - Turner, Fox, Lovie Smith, Lewis, McCarthy, Payton, John Harbaugh.

Ascending - Kubiak, Whisenhunt, Mike Smith, Ryan, Schwartz, Jim Harbaugh.

Jury is still out - Carroll, Gailey, Crennel, Mularkey, Garrett, Munchak, Rivera, Frazier, Shurmur.

First year coaches - Philbin, Pagano, Schiano, Allen.
  7. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

13,810 Messages
    885 Likes Received
    Not feelin it. I'll give him elite as an OC. When Jerry Rice said Norv was the worst head coach he had on any level, it was good enough for me.
  8. arglebargle

arglebargle Well-Known Member

5,004 Messages
    126 Likes Received
    I tend to think of Herm as a pretty poor coach, but I can't say there's much in what he said about Garrett that wasn't reasonable.

However, some of those coach ranking tiers have the wrong guys in 'em.
  9. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

64,462 Messages
    3,287 Likes Received
    He could've just did:

These guys have achieved some modicum of playoff success...

These guys haven't...
  10. starfrombirth

starfrombirth Well-Known Member

3,666 Messages
    344 Likes Received
    What has Fisher done??? :confused:
  11. fffiasco

fffiasco Member

733 Messages
    24 Likes Received
    some very low standards for hall of fame worthy coaches...
  12. Illini88228

Illini88228 Well-Known Member

1,194 Messages
    99 Likes Received
    Been to the super bowl. Been fairly consistent, and coached a ton of games. Probably not one of the all-time greats like belichick(sp?) but i would comfortably call him elite.
  13. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,097 Messages
    1,267 Likes Received
    only Bellicheat is a sure thing for the HOF. Coughlin might if he wins another. Frankly the rest of them I do not consider worthy
  14. iowast8rs

iowast8rs Active Member

825 Messages
    229 Likes Received
    Edwards is a clown
  15. jazzcat22

jazzcat22 Well-Known Member

7,828 Messages
    617 Likes Received
    Who really cares where and who ranked / rated what coach / player and if a certain number or category.

But then again, we say this and criticize, as no cowboys players / coach/ owner / GM never makes the top tiers, except Ware. And maybe because they have not accomplished anything as a team to deserve it. But I think there is a bias of ranking some too low. But I don't look at every ranking either.

On another note...IF / When, ever anyone or team is ranked in the top tiers, #1 or what ever...i'm sure fans will be bragging about it and not saying...who cares....we all do it...

Go out and prove it with a few playoff wins, then it will happen...except the sad thing is, Romo can have a great game in the NFC Chamionship, and lose, by nothing to do with himself or performance, but yet he will still be labled as a loser...that is a crime in itself.
  16. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

14,175 Messages
    244 Likes Received
    Coughlin is in now. He has two Lombardis, taking his team from ground zero...
  17. Avenger

Avenger Member

211 Messages
    14 Likes Received
    "Herman Edwards ranks the head coaches...."

Isn't this like Kim Kardashian speaking on the virtue of being chaste?
  18. jaybird

jaybird Active Member

626 Messages
    26 Likes Received
    Unfortenely, coughlin is a HOF coach. Both years his team came from obscurity and won it all. Hard to do and he did it twice.
  19. Supercowboy1986

Supercowboy1986 Active Member

972 Messages
    97 Likes Received
    i find it funny that kubiak is in the tier above garrett. that dude is a joke.
  20. DBOY3141

DBOY3141 Well-Known Member

3,155 Messages
    429 Likes Received
    Just like most that think Schaub is better than Romo.