1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Hernandez v Brent

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by zack, Jun 26, 2013.

1. zack

zack Well-Known Member

2,100 Messages
    293 Likes Received
    So I've been going back and forth with a Patriots fan today over the Hernandez situation. Pats fan says you gotta tip your hat to the organization for cutting Hernandez. I think it's a no win situation and the fact that the Pats drafted a guy with character issues they, ended up losing the gamble.

So someone remind me why Josh Brent is still on this team?
  2. cbow44

cbow44 Member

596 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    because he didnt take a gun and shoot someone.
  3. dillinger319

dillinger319 Striped Leopard Zone Supporter

820 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    I'm shocked he hasn't been released, I realize the Mom stood up for Brent but he should've been cut..
  4. Future

Future Intramural Legend

16,196 Messages
    1,543 Likes Received
    While you could argue all day about the nature of the crime, I think the biggest difference is that the Cowboys are letting the legal system do its job before making a decision.
    Vanilla2 likes this.
  5. CashMan

CashMan Well-Known Member

1,386 Messages
    164 Likes Received
    Right......He just was drunk driving a car....I guess that is not a conscious decision.
    rash likes this.
  6. Nation

Nation Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

2,419 Messages
    917 Likes Received

Jerry Brown's mother has requested the Cowboys do everything in their power to help Brent and not abandon him as he was her son's best friend.
  7. tantrix1969

tantrix1969 Well-Known Member

959 Messages
    447 Likes Received
    Driving drunk and killing your best friend in an accident is a bad choice and Brent deserves punishment, but comparing it to an execution style murder is ridiculous
    robjgrif, fatboygixxer, JPM and 6 others like this.
  8. Reality

Reality Administrator Staff Member

11,794 Messages
    1,568 Likes Received
    I think the difference is intent and lack of cooperation with authorities. With Brent, it was his long-time best friend and even the victim's mother showed support for Brent. I'm sure the Patriots also know more details than we do such as what the impending charges were going to be and that Hernandez was not cooperating with authorities. There may also be past issues that the team knows about, but the public does not. I think the decision to let him go was made weeks ago and they were waiting for him to be publicly charged so they could gain the PR of "doing the right thing". You know that's true when the official announcement boasts "it was the right thing to do."

/reality
    bsheeern likes this.
  9. CashMan

1,386 Messages
    164 Likes Received
    You have no idea, who pulled the trigger, we know who killed Jerry, and he made a conscious choice to drink and drive. Josh Brent should never play in the NFL again.

I do not like Aaron Hernandez, and I hope he does go to jail for a long time, but until he is convicted, you can not say he killed someone. If he is charged like Ray Lewis was, I don't think he should be allowed to play in the NFL.
  10. CashMan

1,386 Messages
    164 Likes Received
    Right, but it is not in his best interest to give police information that can/will incriminate him. I am not saying I agree with it, but it is his right.
  11. Blackspider214

Blackspider214 Well-Known Member

2,297 Messages
    773 Likes Received
    This. DWI is a lot different than murder. One is malicious intent and the other is a horrible tragedy caused by alcohol.
  12. CashMan

1,386 Messages
    164 Likes Received
    The alcohol magically entered Brent's system unknowingly, and made him drive and turned his cell phone off so he could not call a cab or a team official to get someone to take them home.
    randomdvv likes this.
  13. TheRomoSexual

TheRomoSexual Well-Known Member

2,504 Messages
    1,023 Likes Received
    Wow, you sound like you'd be a lot of fun at parties.
    MichaelWinicki likes this.
  14. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,929 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received
    Wait, are you talking about Hernandez here?
  15. CIWhitefish

CIWhitefish Member

787 Messages
    12 Likes Received
    I don't believe anyone is saying Brent is not at fault. The fact is they are two different violations (drunk driving and murder) and are treated as such by our legal system.
  16. Reality

11,794 Messages
    1,568 Likes Received
    Oh I agree completely about self-incrimination. I think the problem was that originally it was perceived he was protecting a friend more so than himself. It may turn out it was himself he was protecting once we know the official charges after the arraignment.

/reality
  17. CashMan

1,386 Messages
    164 Likes Received
    I think he is dumb enough to pulled the trigger, and I do think he killed the guy or atleast ordered it to happen.
  18. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,652 Messages
    1,104 Likes Received
    Destroying evidence is not a right.
  19. Reality

11,794 Messages
    1,568 Likes Received
    I was referring to the Patriots organization delaying his release until he was charged to gain PR from it because they boasted about doing the right thing in their official release. If you are doing the right thing, you don't have to say you are doing the right thing. It's like when someone says they're humble, they really aren't.

/reality
  20. tecolote

tecolote Well-Known Member

1,823 Messages
    591 Likes Received
    This is such a dumb comparison for reasons stated in other posts. But the thing that gets me is all the media hypocrisy about the Pats being a model franchise for doing this and not mentioning they hired Donte Stallworth no to long ago after being involved in a fatality involving alcohol and driving a car.

This is BS in it's purest form.