1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Hey Jerry! Take some lessons from the 49 ers

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by dirt, Jan 13, 2013.

1. dirt

dirt Member

288 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Pains me to say it but it looks like the 49ers are becoming one of the model franchises in the league
    If only Jerruh would take notice
    1. Do you know the owner and the general managers names for the 49 ers?
    2. The coach is the man in charge....no questions asked...and has the power and confidence to make a change like moving from Smith to Kaepernick. Can you even imagine the ruckus if that happened on Dallas?
    3. An offense built around a solid oline featuring 3 number 1 picks that allows you to go with a first year qb and always fall back on a power running game regardless of who the running back is as well as a star tight end and receiver to bail the young qb out when he needs it
    4. A powerful hard hitting defense with a front 7 of excellent lb s, a great pass rusher and a tremendous defensive end.....solid but not spectacular defensive backs
    All these ingedients put together, simmer for a couple seasons an voila a perennial super bowl contender

The frustrating part is the cowboys have some of these ingredients...linebackers, dominant pass rusher, solid running back and star wide receiver but a few things (jerry) ruin the recipe
  2. BigD5

BigD5 Active Member

209 Messages
    104 Likes Received
    I agree with this 100%. Only thing I'd add is trade romo now for future picks. Cut or trade Austin, free, Felix, hatcher, Ratliff or any other dead weight/non team player.

2 reasons. It saves a ton against the salary cap. We can use that money to shore up other areas of the team. And it gives us picks to build a more stable stronger team.

Draft or grab in free agency some o linemen and d linemen, two safeties and a serviceable WR and I'll go ahead and say it- we need a couple more rbs. I love Murray but he does us no good if he can't play a full season
  3. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

7,119 Messages
    1,755 Likes Received
    of course you forgot to mention the most important part:

hire a HC that knows what he is doing
  4. BigD5

BigD5 Active Member

209 Messages
    104 Likes Received
    And as far as what to do for a Qb? I feel we could find a decent Qb in the 3rd rd or so. Maybe a Landry jones or Tyler Wilson

And for everybody who says you need an elite Qb to win these days. Turn on your tv and watch who is left in the playoffs. Only one "elite" Qb left. Tom Brady
  5. dadymat

dadymat I'm kind of a Big Deal

6,022 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    being in the playoffs is great.....but out of the last 22 SB winners all but 3 have been great QBS...not decent ones
  6. M'Kevon

M'Kevon A Love Supreme

3,203 Messages
    42 Likes Received
    No, the important thing is to have a losing record for 8 straight years, allowing you to build up on high draft choices, then finally hire a coach that knows what to do with them. That team is littered with high first round picks. Not others, their own.

I'd really like to be here for Year 6 of that program and watch the meltdown.
  7. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

7,119 Messages
    1,755 Likes Received
    its a process

garrett is working at it

he is year 2 of a 3 year plan

sheesshhh!!!

people are so impatient

if 8-8 is not good enough for you then .....
  8. M'Kevon

M'Kevon A Love Supreme

3,203 Messages
    42 Likes Received
    8-8 gets you 18th in the draft. That ain't "49er" enough. :D
  9. phildominator

phildominator Member

672 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    The important thing is to hit on the draft picks you have.

For four drafts from 2006 - 2009, after this offseason we may only have two players left on the roster.

The caliber of our players recently have been better, but plagued with injuries.
  10. Bluestang

Bluestang Well-Known Member

4,865 Messages
    106 Likes Received
    Interesting take on #2 because I heard something completely different.
  11. dirt

dirt Member

288 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Curious to hear what u heard?
  12. Frozen700

Frozen700 Well-Known Member

11,803 Messages
    481 Likes Received
    Yeah, it's all Jerry's fault...boohoo

Jerry is a bad man.
  13. Cowboyz88

Cowboyz88 Well-Known Member

3,143 Messages
    198 Likes Received
    Jerry has little resolve, IMO, and goes wherever the wind blows him, so instead of letting long-term solutions develop, he always tries to go with the quick fix.

Since he's taken over the team, we average a new HC every 3.28 years, and as a result philosophies, cultures and identities change just as often.

College coaches usually get longer opportunities, so it's no wonder we've done squat since '95.

There's rarely continuity, and by the time our "GM" gets up to speed on the coach's direction (drafting players to fit his scheme [resulting in a lot of misses], getting his coaches, etc) our GM loses faith and does an about-face and starts the cycle all over again.

Again, he's a hamster on a wheel.
  14. dirt

dirt Member

288 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Well said
  15. BigD5

BigD5 Active Member

209 Messages
    104 Likes Received
    So is New England the only team left that can win the SB this year?

Cause they are the only team left with an elite Qb. Do you think SF, Houston or Atlanta don't have good enough teams to be good for a while?

Would you trade being in the shape those teams are in now for what the cowboys have become? Or would you like to keep watching romo choke just trying to make the playoffs much less winning in the playoffs
  16. BigD5

BigD5 Active Member

209 Messages
    104 Likes Received
    My point is there is more than one way to win a SB. If there wasn't then New England, New Orleans and Green Bay would be the only teams winning the SB every year.

And there's been more than 3 SB champions that have had non elite Qbs win the last 22 SBs. NYG (3 times), Pitt(2 times), Balt, Wash and TB. Not to mention the teams that made the SB and lost with non elite Qbs such as Oak(Gannon), Pitt(odonnel), NE(Bledsoe), Atlanta (Chandler), Chicago (grossman), NYG(Collins), SD(humphries), Car(Delhomme), Sea(Hasselback), etc
  17. sonnyboy

sonnyboy Benched

7,355 Messages
    0 Likes Received

I like this. I'm going to start using.;)
  18. Cowboyz88

Cowboyz88 Well-Known Member

3,143 Messages
    198 Likes Received
    Because the irony is it's not his fault?
  19. CowboyRoy

CowboyRoy Active Member

592 Messages
    28 Likes Received
    Lets hope Garrett is listenting. Every since Garrett has been in charge of the offense and the team, the Oline and run game have gotten worse and worse. He is a finesse OC that builds his offense as a finesse passing offense. One with no play action and no hurry up.
  20. CowboyRoy

CowboyRoy Active Member

592 Messages
    28 Likes Received
    Bottom line is this:

1. If you dont have Tom Brady or any of the other top passing QB's, you better be able to run the ball effectively, stop , have a defense to stop them and a run game to keep them off the field in order to beat them.

2. Even if you do have Tom Brady or and of the other top QB's, you would probably beat the others more often if you did have that reliable, physical running games that the others didnt.

Last time I checked, Tom Brady isnt walking through the doors of Valley Ranch any time soon. The best way to improve the Cowboys and help out Romo is to beef up the Oline with talent, give him more time to throw, and give him a great running game to help him out.