1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Hey Mock-arena

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by Hostile, Nov 21, 2011.

1. Hostile

Hostile Peace Zone Supporter

118,464 Messages
    1,590 Likes Received
    It's raining in Tucson, which means I am not working today so I am bored. Figured I would show a little Mocksie.

There is an extra 6th round pick for the Comp pick I think we will get for Bowen.

1st round...David DeCastro, OG, Stanford, 6'5", 312.
    He is a bull. Guards do not go early though he could easily and no one would flinch. Still with yet another run on QBs looking to crank up I think a great player could land in our laps. I would even consider moving up to grab him.

2nd round...Alameda Ta'amu, NT, Washington, 6'3", 335.
    Collapses the middle on runs and passes. Is a human wall. Big, nasty, and plays pissed off. I like him.

3rd round...Brandon Boykin, CB, Georgia, 5'10", 183. Though I think the secondary is playing better than previous years, Newman is advancing in age and cap hit. Time to reload the secondary.

4th round...Michael Brewster, C, Ohio State, 6'4", 305.
    I'm not as down on Costa as some people are, but I like this kid a lot and wouldn't pass up a chance at him. I think he is an improvement and interior OL is vital to me. Peter Konz remains my #1 draft hope, but if DeCastro is there, I cannot pass it up.

5th round...Matt Reyonlds, OT, BYU, 6'4", 310.
    Need OT depth, and this kid can play. More natural as a RT in the NFL IMO.

6th round...Juron Criner, WR, Arizona, 6'4", 215.
    I continue to be amazed at how low he is rated by some drafting services. This kid is a player, a weapon.

6th round, Comp pick...Rhett Ellison, TE, USC, 6'5", 250. This is the year we could get back to drafting TEs. Ellison is a good project. Not a clutch receiver like Witten, but is a good blocker and is steady enough to develop.

7th round...Jerry Franklin, ILB, Arkansas, 6'1", 245. Good football instincts at a position of need for depth.
  2. SDogo

SDogo Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev

13,900 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    I'm going to fail every mock that does not include a legit returner from this point forward even though I love your top 5 picks.

Sorry Hos.......lol
  3. DBOY3141

DBOY3141 Well-Known Member

3,168 Messages
    441 Likes Received
    This draft will be defense heavy. I think Garrett will give the OL a whole off-season to get it together, before they spend a 1st rounder on a guard. I think he likes Nagy and Arkin.

1st round will be either a DL or OLB.
  4. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

26,995 Messages
    2,389 Likes Received
    Juron Criner is like Dez 2.0. That guy is a beast but doesn't get much notice because he's at Arizona.

I want a return man, though.
  5. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,276 Messages
    1,275 Likes Received
    What happened to the nick foles pick from your previous mock ? What do you think of him ?
  6. Displaced Cowboy

Displaced Cowboy Active Member

1,224 Messages
    13 Likes Received
    Boykin is a legit returner, no?
  7. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Yeah, except he's absolutely nothing like Dez.
  8. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received

Pretty good draft except I don't like the Ta'amu pick in the 2nd round. He's not a dominant presence at all. He's also a stiff athlete.
  9. supercowboy8

supercowboy8 Well-Known Member

5,201 Messages
    280 Likes Received
    I agree, Kawann Short is the NT I want. Poe is good but I think he will be like Phil Taylor and wise up into the 1st.
  10. Hostile

118,464 Messages
    1,590 Likes Received
    I haven't studied returners to even give you an educated opinion on one.
  11. Hostile

118,464 Messages
    1,590 Likes Received
    I would still take him, but after passing on Konz I felt Brewster served a bigger need.
  12. supercowboy8

supercowboy8 Well-Known Member

5,201 Messages
    280 Likes Received
    Brewster got beat up and looked bad by Devon Still this past weekend. Ben Jones is #2 on my list behind Konz now.
  13. Hostile

118,464 Messages
    1,590 Likes Received
    On my list too, but that won't stop me from taking Brewster if he is there in the 4th.
  14. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Criner would be a good value pick in the 6th (I don't think he goes that low), but I don't know if he's an obvious fit with the current group of receivers we have now.

Assuming we keep Robinson, you have three of your top receivers roughly the same size 6'2ish. Criner is tall angular (6'4", 215 lbs) WR in the mold of Marquez Colston.

I don't think Ogletree comes back to Dallas, unless he unexpectedly has some breakout games. Let's not also forget about Raymond Radaway (6'3") who the Cowboys were very high on before his injury.

I'd like to see the Cowboys bring a KR/WR prospect into the mix ala Joe Adams. Dwayne Harris might be that guy but I'm not holding my breath.
  15. Chris in Arizona

Chris in Arizona I am Death

3,601 Messages
    469 Likes Received
    Aren't you BIG on Boykin? Boykin is one of the best return men in college not named Sammy Watkins.
  16. Bigdog

Bigdog Well-Known Member

1,545 Messages
    33 Likes Received
    I would love to have the draft turn out this way. I like DeCastro but think he might be gone when we pick and would love to get Konz if he comes out. I don't thinkg Brewster would drop that far but if we picked him and DeCastro then I think I could run through the holes that will make and Romo will have all day throw.
  17. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

11,116 Messages
    3,784 Likes Received
    1st round...David DeCastro, OG, Stanford, 6'5", 312. He is a bull. Guards do not go early though he could easily and no one would flinch. Still with yet another run on QBs looking to crank up I think a great player could land in our laps. I would even consider moving up to grab him.
    How much would you give to move up?

I think that DeCastro would be the best Interior OL on the Cowboys roster the day they draft him.

2nd round...Alameda Ta'amu, NT, Washington, 6'3", 335. Collapses the middle on runs and passes. Is a human wall. Big, nasty, and plays pissed off. I like him.
    Good player. Can he play DE? If he is NT only, then will he get enough snaps to make it worth a 2nd?

3rd round...Brandon Boykin, CB, Georgia, 5'10", 183. Though I think the secondary is playing better than previous years, Newman is advancing in age and cap hit. Time to reload the secondary.
    He is a good returner also. I'm hopeful for a CB in the 2nd.

4th round...Michael Brewster, C, Ohio State, 6'4", 305. I'm not as down on Costa as some people are, but I like this kid a lot and wouldn't pass up a chance at him. I think he is an improvement and interior OL is vital to me. Peter Konz remains my #1 draft hope, but if DeCastro is there, I cannot pass it up.
    Great value in the 4th. I'm not high on him in the 2nd like all the projections I've seen.

Any chance Konz falls to the 2nd due to the medical condition (if he declares for 2012) ?

5th round...Matt Reyonlds, OT, BYU, 6'4", 310. Need OT depth, and this kid can play. More natural as a RT in the NFL IMO.
    Good for the 5th.

6th round...Juron Criner, WR, Arizona, 6'4", 215. I continue to be amazed at how low he is rated by some drafting services. This kid is a player, a weapon.
    Value in the 6th.

6th round, Comp pick...Rhett Ellison, TE, USC, 6'5", 250. This is the year we could get back to drafting TEs. Ellison is a good project. Not a clutch receiver like Witten, but is a good blocker and is steady enough to develop.
    Need a TE somewhere in this draft.

7th round...Jerry Franklin, ILB, Arkansas, 6'1", 245. Good football instincts at a position of need for depth.[/quote]
    I like this player. Excellent value in the 7th. I wouldn't be shocked if they took a couple of ILBs in this draft.

It seems like this is the draft to consider a QB in the mid/late rounds.
  18. dogberry

dogberry Well-Known Member

2,398 Messages
    53 Likes Received
    Shouldn't we dedicate the second round to an injured first round quality player?
  19. Joe Rod

Joe Rod When Keeping it Real Goes Wrong

8,344 Messages
    496 Likes Received
    Questions;

That would put Dallas three-deep at the nose. Do you believe Dallas moves one of Ratliff or Price-Brent to DE or would one of them no longer be on the team?

No OLB of note, so do you theorize that they will try to resign Spencer this offseason?
  20. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,756 Messages
    753 Likes Received
    If we draft a NT with a 2nd, then Brent's days are probably numbered. He hasn't done much of note this year anyway.