1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Hey Peplaw...

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by VietCowboy, Sep 13, 2008.

1. VietCowboy

VietCowboy Be Realistic. Demand the Impossible.

2,915 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Hey, I saw this interesting youtube video...
    question...if abortion is illegal, what do you think would happen to the women who get abortions illegally? Would the penalty be different for someone underage?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uk6t_tdOkwo
  2. ChldsPlay

ChldsPlay Well-Known Member

6,104 Messages
    311 Likes Received
    Same as voluntary manslaughter at the least, maybe up to murder 1, IMHO.
  3. masomenos

masomenos Less is more

5,971 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    How exactly would you go about proving that a woman had an illegal abortion?
  4. VietCowboy

2,915 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    maybe if she used an equipment that isn't safe, and is now bleeding and in the hospital, and the doctors determine she had just aborted? that's one scenerio.
  5. peplaw06

peplaw06 That Guy

13,607 Messages
    359 Likes Received
    Wow a call out thread for lil ole me?? I'm flattered.

I'm loading up the video right now, so I haven't watched it. But as always, it depends on the circumstances. If (and I believe when) abortion is outlawed by some of the states, the enforcement of it is going to start with the "doctors" who perform the procedures.

Like most laws are enforced.... take aim at the source or the means for the lawbreaking, and work your way down.
  6. bbgun

bbgun Benched

27,870 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Think I'll change my name to Harvardlaw. That'll show you rubes.
  7. jrumann59

jrumann59 Well-Known Member

3,641 Messages
    169 Likes Received

Well I will change mine to CCLaw meaning Community College.

:bang2:
  8. VietCowboy

2,915 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    well, I only called you out cuz you know a lot about the law, and we've had a discussion in the past. I know obviously not all states would make abortion illegal, just wondering what would happen, in this day and age, to a woman or girl who is found to have had an abortion illegally, whether by someone else or by her own hand.

Could you prosecute an international drug company that mails her the abortion pill for example or a drug store for selling components of drugs that can be concocted to kill a fetus? just lots and lots of questions regarding how a state might go about it when and if they illegalize abortion.
  9. jrumann59

jrumann59 Well-Known Member

3,641 Messages
    169 Likes Received
    Why they go after gun companies for making guns that can be modified to make them "illegal". The precedence has been set. I don't know why the gov't hasn't gone after the toy companies that used chinese factories that used lead paint.
  10. VietCowboy

2,915 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    we're going after the chinese companies that are making the formula milk with something in it that are causing babies to have kidney stones or something.

I hope we go after Dog food and supplies companies that've caused a lot of animal deaths.
  11. peplaw06

peplaw06 That Guy

13,607 Messages
    359 Likes Received
    My guess is that doctors who perform it will get a stiffer sentence, and be prosecuted first. But I'd imagine a woman who gets an abortion could at least face a sentence similar to a manslaughter charge like childsplay said.

I doubt it would be a capital murder charge, or death penalty worthy, but men have been given the death penalty for doing the same thing.
  12. peplaw06

peplaw06 That Guy

13,607 Messages
    359 Likes Received
    :laugh2:

Harvard's overrated. ;)
  13. VietCowboy

2,915 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    so if someone goes to Canada or outside of the US to get an abortion (or a state that allows abortion), will they be prosecuted when they come back?
  14. Viper

Viper Active Member

2,190 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Maybe we should just use Gore's idea for stopping global warming, kill more babies!:rolleyes:
  15. peplaw06

peplaw06 That Guy

13,607 Messages
    359 Likes Received
    Guess that would be up to the state.
  16. ThaBigP

ThaBigP New Member

2,062 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    You guys need to settle down a bit. Remember, up until Roe V Wade in '73, most states outlawed abortion, and had for the longest time. There were no witch hunts to scour through medical records, giving pregnancy tests, to all women who were suspected of GI or abdominal problems. The biggest purpose of the ban was in preventing doctors from performing the procedure except under certain exceptional circumstances. Doctors who were caught giving illegal abortions generally had their licenses revoked, with the worst offenders facing criminal charges. That was pretty much it, by and large. Also, like I said before, *if* R v W is overturned, it will mean nothing. It will be up to each state, then, to decide what to do about the issue. Some will likely make the practice illegal, others will likely keep it legal, and everything in between. Overturning R v W does not write new state law.
  17. ThaBigP

ThaBigP New Member

2,062 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    The only exception to my above post (about various state laws), would hinge on the reasoning for the ruling. *IF* the Suprime Court were to overturn R v W by ruling that the unborn are entitled to Constitutional protections, then that would prohibit states from legalizing it. It would be the same as a state trying to re-legalize slavery - no-can-do. There would be ample grounds for such a ruling, as the preamble to the Constitution reads thusly:

We the people of the United States, in order to form a more perfect union, establish justice, insure domestic tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general welfare, and secure the blessings of liberty to ourselves and our posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.

pos·ter·i·ty (pŏ-stěr'ĭ-tē) Pronunciation Key
    n.
    1. Future generations: "Everything he writes is consigned to posterity" (Joyce Carol Oates).
    2. All of a person's descendants.
  18. Danny White

Danny White Winter is Coming

12,345 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    This is right on.

Very few people, to the best of my knowledge, actually advocate putting women in jail for having an "illegal" abortion.

Most often the penalties are directed at doctors who would perform illegal abortions.
  19. VietCowboy

2,915 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I guess my questions more about state's rights, jurisdiction type thing. Can a doctor in a state that allows abortion be tried for performing it to someone who's from a state that doesn't if she travels to his state to do it?

Kinda like that HBO Jerry talking to Glenn's agent and we had this thing whether or not California laws or Texas laws or wherever it was Glenn's agent was calling from regarding phone recording would supercede all others.

When 2 states conflict on their laws, who decides which state's law will be observed?
  20. ThaBigP

ThaBigP New Member

2,062 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    When it is a state law issue, the state where *it* occured (whatver *it* is, abortion or a car crash, etc) has jurisdiction, and their laws apply. In fact, if you are charged with a crime you committed in state "A" and you haul butt back to state "B", state "B" will send your butt back to state "A" to stand trial and serve your sentence. So, with the issue of abortion, if some states have it banned and others do not, an abortion in a state that allows it is legal. Even if your own state bans it and you went across state lines to where it was legal. You cannot be prosecuted by your state for doing something in another state that was perfectly legal there. The only time this does not apply is if you break the law crossing state lines, which means the crime must be in commission as you cross. Running drugs from one state to another, for example.