1. CowboysZone Upgrade Coming Soon! For more information, click here.

Hibbert Fined 75K For Remarks

Discussion in 'Sports Zone' started by ABQCOWBOY, Jun 3, 2013.

1. Manwiththeplan

Manwiththeplan Well-Known Member

5,777 Messages
    580 Likes Received
    so much more than you know factors into that. gotta head to work but will definately expand on this later
  2. Manwiththeplan

5,777 Messages
    580 Likes Received
    Okay, this "one thing in the whole wide world" effects

-Adoption
    Its easier to adopt children when you are married as opposed to single.
    -Parental rights
    If the child/children are bilogically speaking, one of the two partners, then the grandparents have more rights than the other spouse in case of their death.
    -Health care
    In states where their marrige isn't legal, the other spouse cannot use their health care. In the case of my mother and father, they were able to pool their healthcare together for his liver transplant. A homosexual couple cannot always do the same.
    -Survivors annuity
    When my dad died, since he was a government employee, my mother recieves a certain amount each month. A homosexual couple doesn't always recieve this.

These are just off the top of my head. Not to mention any other rights spouses usually get, like not being barred from a funeral just because the other spouses parents disagree with their lifestyle
  3. CanadianCowboysFan

CanadianCowboysFan Lightning Rod

15,856 Messages
    481 Likes Received
    :bang2: yeah because they are the same things
  4. AbeBeta

AbeBeta Well-Known Member

26,050 Messages
    1,332 Likes Received
    No, your point is that YOU don't see it as derogatory. You have no insight into Roy Hibbert's intentions. I expect many gay folks do see any use of terms like "homo" as derogatory. How you feel about the term is irrelevant. The fact that lots of young guys use the term regularly is irrelevant. More than irrelevant, it is completely insensitive to how others might feel about the phrase.
  5. AbeBeta

26,050 Messages
    1,332 Likes Received
    The 19th century is calling. They want their opinions back.
  6. AbeBeta

26,050 Messages
    1,332 Likes Received
    The flaw in this argument is that it is impossible for anyone but the speaker to know their intent. Clearly, when asked, someone who says something like that is rarely going to cop to bad intentions.
  7. RastaRocket

RastaRocket Sanka, Ya Dead Mon? Ya Mon.

6,139 Messages
    547 Likes Received
    Um ya, it's actually completely obvious. It was a "no homo" joke.

I'm guessing many older members here do not use or hear that joke very often. I don't know anybody's age but I'm just saying. It's an extremely common joke and he used it just like anybody would. So quit making it out to be more than it is. It was a no homo joke.

Unprofessional? Yes. Anti Gay rights slur? No.
  8. AbeBeta

26,050 Messages
    1,332 Likes Received
    Son, maybe you are too young to recall how people used to use the term "Jewed" to refer to being cheap or "Indian Giver" to refer to taking a gift back.

People often used those mindlessly, jokingly, and even innocently. How do those phrase look now?
  9. WPBCowboysFan

WPBCowboysFan Well-Known Member

7,461 Messages
    3,108 Likes Received
    And just how is it that the common stereo types originate?
  10. StarHead69

StarHead69 Well-Known Member

1,363 Messages
    45 Likes Received
    It's certainly not an insult.

Apparently it's fine-and-dandy to call people racist, bigot, etc... when they don't embrace every 'lifestyle out there. Just to be clear, it's ok to call someone a 'homophobe', but not a 'homo'?
  11. AbeBeta

26,050 Messages
    1,332 Likes Received
    Your post suggests you have an answer.
  12. AbeBeta

26,050 Messages
    1,332 Likes Received
    Never called h a homophobe. I said his comment could be taken that way and would be offensive to some.

But I do like how you've suggested a gay lifestyle is a choice. I presume don't get up each day and say "hmmm. I'm gonna be straight today." Gay folks aren't choosing either.
  13. WPBCowboysFan

7,461 Messages
    3,108 Likes Received
    You know this how?
  14. WPBCowboysFan

7,461 Messages
    3,108 Likes Received
    And yours suggests you're afraid to admit it.
  15. Manwiththeplan

5,777 Messages
    580 Likes Received
    no, it very much is. it isn't used to insult one specific person, but whether it's intended or not, it puts down homosexuals as a whole.
  16. RoyTheHammer

RoyTheHammer Well-Known Member

13,760 Messages
    676 Likes Received
    I understand what you're saying, you could have just condensed it by saying they don't get the rights that married couples get.. which is a given in states where their marraige isn't legal. In a couple years from now, im sure homosexuals will be allowed to be married in most states. I don't see why its a huge deal.. let them be as miserable as the rest of us, lol. Once people get used to the concept of homosexuality not being taboo anymore and it simply being a lifestyle choice, i doubt it will be a big issue. Certainly there will still be those who look to insult and cut down that group, but you can say that about any group of people. There will always be people who have to be negative, no matter what.
  17. RoyTheHammer

RoyTheHammer Well-Known Member

13,760 Messages
    676 Likes Received
    Neither do you, but that hasn't stopped you yet.
  18. NIBGoldenchild

NIBGoldenchild Well-Known Member

1,044 Messages
    47 Likes Received
    :banghead: I HATE, HATE, HATE this phrase. People have been trotting this phrase out lately when their argument holds no water.

Wrong end of history? According to who, your crystal ball?
  19. WV Cowboy

WV Cowboy Waitin' on the 6th

11,603 Messages
    1,738 Likes Received
    Everyone chooses who they have sexual relations with, and who they don't.

Unless it is rape, everyone makes a choice.
  20. WV Cowboy

WV Cowboy Waitin' on the 6th

11,603 Messages
    1,738 Likes Received
    You could even say the 20th century, .. and yes, they do want those opinions back, .. many many want those opinions back.