1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Hickory Mickory Mock, the Boys are on the Clock

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by Biggems, Oct 31, 2012.

1. Biggems

Biggems White and Nerdy

11,618 Messages
    39 Likes Received
    Ok.....so we need some help. We need OL. We need DL. We need S. We will most likely need OLB.

We trade down in the 1st and add a 2nd. We trade down in the 2nd and add a 3rd. We trade down in the 4th and add a 5th.

1 - OG Barrett Jones - Alabama
    2 - DT Jesse Williams - Alabama
    2 - SS Robert Lester - Alabama
    3 - DE Ezekial Ansah - BYU
    3 - C Khaled Holmes - USC
    4 - FB Trey Millard - OU
    5 - OT Lane Johnson - OU
    5 - OLB Quanterus Smith - Western Kentucky
    6 - DT Brandon Williams - Missouri Southern St.
  2. The Realist

The Realist Active Member

3,284 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I think Ansah will be a hot commodity and will rise. I'm not that impressed with him though.

That mock doesn't do enough to help pass rush IMO.

I do think Jerry will do anything early to help OL cuz they love Costa and made investments at G in FA.
  3. TVMan

TVMan Active Member

790 Messages
    52 Likes Received
    You mean you don't think?

I agree with that notion. Lots of dough is tied up in the oline. Seems like the second round might be feasible.

Here is a good source for a money by depth chart comparison.
    http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/
  4. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,043 Messages
    1,047 Likes Received
    Both your 3rd and 5th rounders will be long gone before where you have em. They will draft at least one skill player.
  5. jayhouston12

jayhouston12 New Member

543 Messages
    0 Likes Received

THIS IS A MUST if he is available.....
  6. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,276 Messages
    1,275 Likes Received
    I like Jones, but I don't see him as a first round pick. He is a jack of all trades, but a master of none. If a first is going to be spent on the line, I want a great lineman at his position, not a lineman that is good at several that might not carry over well to the pros.
  7. Chris in Arizona

Chris in Arizona I am Death

3,597 Messages
    461 Likes Received
    I like your first 5 picks and then your last one. Could live with that mock.
  8. chuch

chuch Member

35 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    ...He won the Outland Trophy (best interior lineman in the country) for his play at the guard position last year. I doubt the decision to move him around the line is as much an indictment against his play as it is a testament to his versatility.
  9. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

11,051 Messages
    3,738 Likes Received

I like the trades.

I would prefer Jonathan Cooper, especially in Callahan's Zone Blocking Scheme. Cooper is as strong as Jones but has much much better quickness/athleticism. Cooper can play center also. Rumors are that Jones' arms are too short to project to OT in the NFL.

2 - DT Jesse Williams - Alabama
    They will only carry 2 NTs and I'm happy with Rat and Brent. Williams played 3-4 DE last year, but I'd prefer one of those long (tall with long arms) guys at DE.

If Dion Jordon falls to the 2nd, I'd try to trade up to get him around #33. If not, this might be a more realistic spot for one of your projected 3rd rounders.

Maybe even consider a WR like Tavon Austin or a RB.

2 - SS Robert Lester - Alabama
    The 2nd round appears to be a good place for Safeties in this draft.

Too bad Shamarko Thomas isn't a little taller. He is fast and nasty.

3 - DE Ezekial Ansah - BYU
    I would love to get this guy in the 3rd. At 6-6, 270, I project him to 3-4 DE for the Cowboys not OLB. He is the long type of DE prospect I referred to earlier.

3 - C Khaled Holmes - USC
    I would love to get this player in the 3rd also. I've studied him quite a bit. He's very strong and athletic. Despite reports to the contrary, I thought he was impressive against Lotulelei. He blocked him multiple times one-on-one.

4 - FB Trey Millard - OU
    Maybe. I'm undecided about Vickers ability at this point.

5 - OT Lane Johnson - OU
    Good, unless Brennan Williams falls to this spot due to injury.

5 - OLB Quanterus Smith - Western Kentucky
    Excellent pick here if available. He appears to have the solid build needed at SOLB. I have questions about some the the high rated pass rushers ability to man the Strong Side in RR's defense.

6 - DT Brandon Williams - Missouri Southern St.[/quote]
    I love his attitude and work ethic. I've only seen a few highlights, but he appears to have excellent quickness at 6-2 ,328.
  10. Biggems

Biggems White and Nerdy

11,618 Messages
    39 Likes Received
    I love his attitude and work ethic. I've only seen a few highlights, but he appears to have excellent quickness at 6-2 ,328.[/quote]

ty for you comments.....this is the type of response I like....btw, I am not 100% on barrett jones.....it is just that i dont know enough about jonathan cooper yet. i dont really watch UNC anymore.

as for the Jesse Williams pick.....the guy can ball. He is very stout and often disruptive along the LOS. That is something our DL needs. But I agree, that we do need some long DL, especially at the DE position.
  11. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

26,966 Messages
    2,362 Likes Received
    I'll take a jack of all trades at guard instead of a jack of no trades.
  12. Biggems

Biggems White and Nerdy

11,618 Messages
    39 Likes Received
    :lmao2: you almost made me spit out my grilled cheese.
  13. Biggems

Biggems White and Nerdy

11,618 Messages
    39 Likes Received
    I love his attitude and work ethic. I've only seen a few highlights, but he appears to have excellent quickness at 6-2 ,328.[/quote]

How about this one.....

1 - OG Jonathan Cooper UNC
    2 - WR Quinton Patton LT
    2 - SS Robert Lester Alabama
    3 - DE Ezekial Ansah BYU
    3 - C Khaled Holmes USC
    4 - OT Lane Johnson OU
    5 - OLB Quanterus Smith WKU
    6 - DT Brandon Williams MSSU
  14. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,276 Messages
    1,275 Likes Received
    I want the master at the position. I want the best guard. Jones is a good guard, not great. I wouldn't use anything higher than a late first on him.
  15. xwalker

11,051 Messages
    3,738 Likes Received
    Good discussion, I love draft talk.

I'm not 100% against Jesse Williams. It's just that I like Brent/Rat at NT and I'm not sure that Williams is a great fit at the 5-technique in the Pros.

It's funny, but we draftniks often project 4-3 Linemen to a 3-4, but I actually think Williams, a 3-4 college player, would be great as a 4-3 DT in the Pros.
  16. xwalker

11,051 Messages
    3,738 Likes Received
    I love it, despite the fact that I don't know anything about Patton.

I have not really studied the WRs, but I do really like Cordarrelle Patterson (Tennessee).

Which safeties do you think go before Lester?
  17. Biggems

Biggems White and Nerdy

11,618 Messages
    39 Likes Received

Reid
    McDonald
    Vaccaro (possibly)
  18. Biggems

Biggems White and Nerdy

11,618 Messages
    39 Likes Received

Patton lit up the Aggie defense for over 200 yds and 4 TDs this year. Last year he had a 200 yd game as well. He seems to be a big play WR, something Dallas could definitely use.
  19. Oh_Canada

Oh_Canada Well-Known Member

5,759 Messages
    372 Likes Received
    Wow-that mock would be ridiculously good. I suspect an athlete like Ansah will be drafted earlier however.
  20. xwalker

11,051 Messages
    3,738 Likes Received
    Sounds good. I'll see if I can find any game footage of him.

Hopefully, the Cowboys put all WR prospects through intense psychological and intelligence testing.:)