1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Hightower

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by RS12, Mar 7, 2012.

1. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,681 Messages
    1,493 Likes Received
    In Tuscaloosa, Don'ta Hightower stood on his 40 time from the combine, but did improve one inch in the vertical jump, touching 33 inches. During drills, Hightower showed some stiffness changing direction and was not quick in coverage drills. His backpedal looked mechanical and forced, while Hightower showed little in the way of being able to burst out of his plant. He's a big, forceful linebacker with solid straight line speed, but Hightower did nothing today to dispel the belief he's a two-down defender.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/tony_pauline/03/01/pro.days/index.html#ixzz1oUawKaex
  2. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,681 Messages
    1,493 Likes Received
    A team with this many needs cant afford a 2 down LB.
  3. NeonDeion21

NeonDeion21 Well-Known Member

2,127 Messages
    488 Likes Received
    2 down LB? He is hardly that. He is one of the most versatile players in the draft as he can rush on 3rd downs too.
  4. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,681 Messages
    1,493 Likes Received
    TUSCALOOSA, Ala. (AP)—Dont’a Hightower and Dre Kirkpatrick had already run for the stopwatches at the NFL combine.

The two former Alabama stars let those 40 times stand but wanted to use the Crimson Tide’s first of two pro days Wednesday to show representatives of the 32 NFL teams they can move quickly for their size in various drills.

“Approaching the combine there was questions about my weight, about my speed,” said Hightower, a 6-foot-2, 265-pound linebacker. “I think I proved to a lot of people that even though I’m a big guy, I can still move.”

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news?slug=ap-alabama-proday
  5. CowboyHawg2012

CowboyHawg2012 New Member

65 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I think Hightower is the second best player from bama this year behind Trent Richardson. For bama guys, I have them 1. Richardson 2. Hightower 3. Barron 4. Kirkpatrick 5. Upshaw

Honestly, I'd rather have Hightower over Ingram, Coples, Upshaw in a heartbeat. Id probably ask him to drop 10 lbs and play at 250-255. Still plenty big enough and could probably add some quickness. I think his tape from 2010 showed much more athleticism and I think he put on weight so he could be able to put his hand down and rush.
    -Hightower is athletic enough to cover out routes in man and does a good job in zone when he keeps the play in front of him. plus he is a phenomenal blitzing linebacker despite sometime showing hesitation when getting blocked by RB's. You can teach him to blow him up instead. RB's really dont stand a chance with him. Hightower and Lee could be an awesome duo inside and add bruce carter and we can have a ton of flexibility in our LB's. I think he's just about the safest pick for us outside of DeCastro. He's a hard worker, an extremely intelligent football player, and a leader. You can plug him in day 1 and make your team better blitzing, stopping the run, and more physical. sounds just like what we need right??
    -if trent richardson is still around at 14, I say make a call to the bengals and take the 18th pick and a extra pick and take hightower. This draft is so incredibly deep that even a 4th or 5th would make me extremely happy
  6. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I'm a fan of Hightower but there are some questions about his game.

Some folks may not want to hear it, but RS12 may be right that Hightower could ultimately be a two-down type player, or basically not the guy you want on the field in a obvious passing situation.

He's always looked his best moving north & south, but slow and plodding when moving laterally. His 3-cone at the combine only confirmed that notion when he posted a 7.55 time.

For comparisons sake, David DeCastro posted a 7.30 at 316 lbs; Matt Kalil at 6'6" 306 lbs, ran a 7.33.

His shuttle time of 4.66 is also slower than a lot of offensive linemen.

Also, Bunting articulated plainly something I've seen in Hightower on the field when he said he's "got some laziness to him." If you watch him play he's not always chasing down the play or committing himself to get involved. Is it on the same level as Vontaze Burfict? No, not at all. But it is there to a certain extent.

*We all know Bradie James strengths and weaknesses, check Bradie's times versus Hightower: 4.54 shuttle; 7.53 cone
  7. Zimmy Lives

Zimmy Lives Well-Known Member

5,986 Messages
    1,051 Likes Received
    I feel Hightower is a younger version of Bradie James: Great leader but limited athletically.
  8. Gaede

Gaede Well-Known Member

8,064 Messages
    956 Likes Received
    Exactly what I've been thinking.

If were picking at 32, I'd probably consider him. But drafting in the top 15, you're investing in a long term player.

I see Hightower as being very productive, but not for long. People don't get more athletic as they age.

I don't know, I just see him deteriorating faster than most.