1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Hill: Back surgery is affecting Romo’s deep passes

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by Alexander, Aug 6, 2014.

1. Alexander

Alexander What's it going to be then, eh?

25,230 Messages
    5,475 Likes Received
    Back surgery is affecting Romo’s deep passes
    Posted Tuesday, Aug. 05, 2014

OXNARD, Calif. — According to Tony Romo and the Dallas Cowboys front office brass, the veteran is 100 percent recovered from December back surgery. Wilson said Romo has had problems throwing the deep ball since coming back to practice following back surgery.

"It’s been OK. I think the deeper the ball goes down the field, it’s a little bit more inconsistent," Wilson said. "He’s thrown all the intermediates --- the fours and the seven routes and the deep outs – have been fine. It’s just the nine routes and the deep posts. Those things have been a little inconsistent. I think that’s all due to his back."

Wilson believes Romo is not cutting it loose completely and is a little tentative when it comes to the deep ball. But Wilson is not overly concerned, partly because the Cowboys don't feature the go-route in the game plan as much anymore.

Wilson says Romo will get better at throwing the deep ball with more rehab and as he gets more comfortable. "He can get the ball down the field," Wilson said. "That’s not an issue. As camp goes on, he’ll just get nothing but stronger and more confident in his throws."

Read more here: http://www.star-telegram.com/2014/0...ry-is-affecting-romos.html?rh=1#storylink=cpy
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2014
  2. 65fastback2plus2

65fastback2plus2 Well-Known Member

1,717 Messages
    1,041 Likes Received
    he's gotta work back into football stamina like them all. no worries.
  3. Denim Chicken

Denim Chicken Well-Known Member

3,102 Messages
    1,299 Likes Received
    Smokescreen. Make every one think Romo can't throw the deep-ball and then BAM! 50 yard bomb to the end zone.
    mcompact, Nirvana, djmajestik and 5 others like this.
  4. jazzcat22

jazzcat22 Well-Known Member

9,794 Messages
    1,806 Likes Received
    Not surprising about the deep throws. As I thought he had trouble last year too. I kept saying something was off, didn't look right.

However, it takes some time to get back into shape, he will get there. I think they are taking the correct approach, don't overdo it. Still plenty of time.
  5. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

51,636 Messages
    5,548 Likes Received
    So the sky ISN"T falling?
  6. iowast8rs

iowast8rs Well-Known Member

915 Messages
    302 Likes Received
    Wait a minute, Tony had a deep ball?
    rockj7, mcompact, Nirvana and 10 others like this.
  7. Yakuza Rich

Yakuza Rich Well-Known Member

12,347 Messages
    1,391 Likes Received
    He had a hard time throwing them last year as well. And it got to the point where he would misse Dez being open, a lot. Then he only started to throw them deep if the receiver was wide open on a busted coverage.

YR
    BigStar likes this.
  8. noshame

noshame Who wouldn't follow me? Zone Supporter

3,612 Messages
    863 Likes Received
    Shocking, same issue as last year. All though I would add he seems to have some minor issues throwing to his left as well.
  9. Gaede

Gaede Well-Known Member

8,035 Messages
    934 Likes Received
    Not surprised. Still unfortunate, however, as that greatly inhibits our offense.
  10. noshame

noshame Who wouldn't follow me? Zone Supporter

3,612 Messages
    863 Likes Received
    Yep, that's why you'd see him pull it down and scramble, waiting for more separation.
  11. Floaty

Floaty Well-Known Member

908 Messages
    339 Likes Received
    That's what I was thinking.....He's really never threw anything over 50yrd in his entire career.
  12. CowboyGil

CowboyGil Well-Known Member

1,194 Messages
    344 Likes Received
    Column fodder.....*Yawn*
  13. adbutcher

adbutcher K9NME

10,717 Messages
    357 Likes Received
    And this story was featured on NFL AM this morning, smh...
  14. brooksey1

brooksey1 Well-Known Member

1,574 Messages
    545 Likes Received
    100% recovered is great news. Part of the deep ball is probably mental. He will be fine.
  15. TwoDeep3

TwoDeep3 Well-Known Member

6,428 Messages
    2,281 Likes Received
    Wonder why it is some cannot just accept this column as it is? A discussion on Romo's limits due to back surgery.

Does that mean it will be like this always?

Who knows. Perhaps not.

But it was a problem last year after surgery. That doesn't mean it will be one this year. But the propensity for it to linger is higher now since both seasons he's had back surgery.

This is a wait and see. Nothing in this article was a shot at Romo.

Whistling by the graveyard is not needed here. Not yet, anyway.
  16. reddyuta

reddyuta Well-Known Member

6,250 Messages
    692 Likes Received
    Romo is not throwing 50 yard bombs to anyone(even without the back problems)..
  17. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,656 Messages
    1,481 Likes Received
    Although Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones and quarterback Tony Romo insist that Romo is 100 percent recovered from offseason back surgery, Cowboys quarterbacks coach Wade Wilson thinks there is something off with some of Romo's throws.

Wilson said that Romo’s deep ball has been inconsistent during training camp, although he has been fine on the intermediate routes.

"It's been OK. I think the deeper the ball goes down the field, it's a little bit more inconsistent," Wilson said, via the Fort Worth Star-Telegram. "It's just the nine routes and the deep posts. Those things have been a little inconsistent. I think that's all due to his back."

http://www.si.com/nfl/2014/08/06/dallas-cowboys-tony-romo-deep-ball-back-surgery
  18. snapper

snapper Active Member

259 Messages
    84 Likes Received
    Agreed. Tony Romo's availability/success this year is a key topic of discussion given the precarious nature of back injuries. I, personally, would not read those articles, however; it makes no difference to me.
  19. 65fastback2plus2

65fastback2plus2 Well-Known Member

1,717 Messages
    1,041 Likes Received
  20. Denim Chicken

Denim Chicken Well-Known Member

3,102 Messages
    1,299 Likes Received
    Nice, play along. "Of Course Romo is not throwing 50 yard bombs to anyone..." Wink, wink...;)