1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Hill: Back surgery is affecting Romo’s deep passes

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by Alexander, Aug 6, 2014.

1. Arkyvarminter

Arkyvarminter Well-Known Member

1,064 Messages
    181 Likes Received
    Something Is going on with Tony. They say he's 100% going into training camp and now he's being limited and will miss the first preseason game. If he was his old self and really 100%, then he would be out there. I don't really think they are just being cautious either. I think he's having some pain so they are letting him rest. ABC news reported today that his back is affecting his deep ball for whatever that's worth. I'm a big Romo fan and hope he's healthy but it seems like the team is doing everything they can to keep his condition "under wraps." I just don't think he will make it this year, especially after back surgery. Romo is a tough guy and isn't afraid to take a lick. I hope I'm wrong but I just don't see him playing the entire season due to his back. This is just my opinion and I have no crystal ball but I just have a bad feeling. I know one thing, the severity of his injury and the pain he's having isn't being disclosed. In the NFL, if your ready to go, your out there and if your not ready, after months of rehab, you won't be in a few weeks when the real hitting begins, like Sept. 7........
  2. BigStar

BigStar Stop chasing Zone Supporter

3,637 Messages
    1,435 Likes Received
    Totally missed that.
  3. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

50,163 Messages
    4,347 Likes Received
    He is limited (which we already expected because the team said he would be brought along slowly) and he will miss the first preseason game (which isn't a surprise and after all he was only going to possibly play one series so what is the big deal when you are talking about a vet franchise QB) so pardon me if I hold off pushing the panic button quite yet.
  4. Arkyvarminter

Arkyvarminter Well-Known Member

1,064 Messages
    181 Likes Received

Who said I was in panic? LOL
  5. Sportsbabe

Sportsbabe Well-Known Member

5,540 Messages
    1,015 Likes Received
    Not buying it.
  6. Sportsbabe

Sportsbabe Well-Known Member

5,540 Messages
    1,015 Likes Received
    How many yards was that?
    I'm going to bed.
  7. manster4ever

manster4ever Active Member

427 Messages
    137 Likes Received
    not a surprise...he's never thrown a good deep ball. EVER...and now back surgery isn't going to affect this issue further? Pretty predictable actually.
  8. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

50,163 Messages
    4,347 Likes Received
    Not me.
  9. adbutcher

adbutcher K9NME

10,638 Messages
    300 Likes Received
    I expect honest coverage for all teams. I expect integrity and unbiased coverage. I expect proper context to be given when reporting any story, not taking one excerpt and trying to create feigned controversy. If they did the latter, it would help them fill the hours.

I know I expect too much...
    khiladi likes this.
  10. EST_1986

EST_1986 Well-Known Member

1,106 Messages
    767 Likes Received
    Yea you have the media for the game of football completely confused for something else.
  11. khiladi

khiladi Well-Known Member

11,876 Messages
    1,938 Likes Received
    When you wish upon a star...
    BigStar likes this.
  12. khiladi

11,876 Messages
    1,938 Likes Received
    Peyton Manning does a lot of it with the brilliance of his mind. Not that I don't think having Romo more involved as an actual play-caller is a problem. In fact, anything to get it as far away from Garrett as possible.
    BigStar and BraveHeartFan like this.
  13. BraveHeartFan

BraveHeartFan We got a hat. I want a ring.

23,342 Messages
    960 Likes Received
    They showed on NFL Network yesterday that only two QBs have a better QB rating, and more accurate deep ball than Tony. Those would be Aaron Rodgers (#1) and Drew Brees (#2). So, yeah, he's got a deep ball.
  14. Zordon

Zordon Well-Known Member

9,790 Messages
    5,202 Likes Received
    That completion percentage is not great or good really and his Air Yards per attempt is very low. Yes, there aren't many interceptions but how much is because the ball is not being put in a position for a play to be made by either Dez or the DB (I'm almost always trusting Dez). Statistics can always be manipulated for a certain purpose but what do you're eyes tell you. There were several opportunities left on the field with Dez particularly the last 2 seasons.
    Aurican likes this.
  15. Floaty

Floaty Well-Known Member

758 Messages
    273 Likes Received
    Agree...Look @ that throw...from the 13 to the opponents 42......about 45-46 yrds. And it was short to Williams. And that was w/ Romo getting a running start to heave this. I seriously doubt he could get anything over 45 right now that a safety wouldn't int.
  16. Crown Royal

Crown Royal Insulin Beware

10,351 Messages
    694 Likes Received
    Romo's back foot is on the 10 yard line and Williams catches it right at the 40. That's a 50 yard pass that got there very quickly (it wasn't lofted high into the air - it was more of a flat throw) and it was on the inside shoulder of the WR who has inside leverage.
  17. BlindFaith

BlindFaith Active Member

977 Messages
    201 Likes Received
    Inside leverage? He's running a post route. That ball should be out in front of the receiver so he can run through it. And having loft on the ball is a GOOD thing. Makes the ball more catchable.
  18. adbutcher

adbutcher K9NME

10,638 Messages
    300 Likes Received
    Not just football coverage. It is unfortunate that "We" accept this nonsense that passes as journalism.
  19. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

16,938 Messages
    1,242 Likes Received
    Just look at how the anchors for National News has changed as well...leaving world figures such as Putin off the hook.

The Cowboys get slammed more than the real cruels of the world.

Adbutcher, you and I came up when sportsmanship was an important element in the development of our youth. A real shame now, and no humor remotely implied with that.
  20. khiladi

11,876 Messages
    1,938 Likes Received
    Passing gets accurate when a QB starts to find rhythm. I don't buy much into this stock of not being accurate on certain types of passes for Romo, based on what I can see, since we have a very inconsistent offense that goes into long, dry spots for considerable length of time, only to start moving the ball when we go up-tempo. You got to be able to accurately judge your WRs speed to put it in a good place. We were operating on a hit or miss philosophy, with plenty of check-downs during this era offensively. As I said, the only time we really had Romo in a game where we were not in that mode, as far as I can remember, was Denver and Romo was chucking it all over the place.