1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Hill: Monte Kiffen won't force cover 2 scheme...interviewed w/JG and JG today

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Jan 10, 2013.

1. TheCoolFan

TheCoolFan Well-Known Member

7,334 Messages
    275 Likes Received
    I hope he's still got something left in the tank because his defense could NOT stop any of the spread offenses in the SEC/Pac-12. And considering how the NFL offenses will continue to try to be innovative and adopt college schemes, this could be bad timing!
  2. cowboys#1

cowboys#1 Finish!

2,409 Messages
    16 Likes Received
    because jerry will tell coach how to coach forever
  3. theogt

theogt Surrealist Zone Supporter

44,035 Messages
    1,143 Likes Received
    Agree. You can't say a 33 year old running back is "just a few years older" than a 28-29 year old back. Retirement age is mid-60s for a reason, whether it's harsh or not.
  4. Vintage

Vintage The Cult of Jib

13,163 Messages
    864 Likes Received
    Ths is the same board that by and large wanted to get slower, less athletic, and fatter up front.

So.... Little wonder there is doubt ware can play de. He isn't fatty mcgriddlefatcakesrunplugger.
  5. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    His age is definitely a down the road concern for me, but not a short term (ie 1-3 years) concern. I would be more concerned if I thought it was going to cause another scheme change in a couple of years. But he has a large coaching tree, and there's enough of his disciples out there floating around the league that it shouldn't be too hard to find a replacement and keep continuity when he decides to hang it up after he's overseen the transition here for a couple of years.
  6. Omegasupreme

Omegasupreme Member

248 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Jerry is convinced that bringing back football stylings from the magical 1990's will somehow change the way the Cowboys play. The rules have changed, the game tape that allows the exposure of scheme flaws has amassed, and the older coaches who are being resurrected, except Shanahan, are just not keeping pace. But then Schiano, Harbaughs, Tomlin, etc are showing success by bucking convention and raising their fists for the team to follow, and Jerry goes out and find a relic to somehow update the team with an antiquated scheme (and with Air Coryell, predictability will be on both sides of the ball. I like the Cover 2 but not when the playcaller might fall and can't get up.
  7. Vintage

Vintage The Cult of Jib

13,163 Messages
    864 Likes Received

True. I am concerned with Kiffins body lean as he rushes the passer. Its getting worse with age.
  8. CrazyCowboy

CrazyCowboy Well-Known Member

32,183 Messages
    162 Likes Received
    I am looking at his age factor in a positive light, I suspect our Defensive players may respect and listen to him in the Team meetings due to his experience (age).:)
  9. BAZ

BAZ Drunken Mick

2,759 Messages
    598 Likes Received
    This is so stupid. It's not ageism once you hit 70! It's prudent thinking.

"hey is this guy too old for the job? He's eight years past the age of retirement"

"maybe"

How can you fault anybody for that? Also interesting he picks two guys coming off bad years. People were saying Holmgren was too old, EGG ON YOUR FACE NOW BOYS! ‎‏
  10. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,928 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received
    Ha, good point. Not going to look it up, but I know some of the people who said 64-year-old Holmgren was too old are now saying 73 is no problem.
  11. JonJon

JonJon Injured Reserve

11,034 Messages
    237 Likes Received
    In regards to the CB's playing press man, that is fine to me. I wonder if people realize that press man is used in certain instances of the cover 2 defense. The two safeties would still have deep half coverage responsibilities, the CB's would play outside man, and in most instances, the outside LB's would cover the flats, with the MLB taking the mid zone. If Kiffin does come, I imagine we use both cover 2 zone and man fronts.
  12. EPL0c0

EPL0c0 The Funcooker

5,043 Messages
    279 Likes Received
    As long as Jerry's alive, this absurdity will continue to be the norm.
  13. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    Just like his former understudy uses in Seattle.
  14. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

22,512 Messages
    9,668 Likes Received
    I forgot about Greene and was thinking LT was the leader.
  15. newlander

newlander Well-Known Member

8,205 Messages
    123 Likes Received

........my only concern would be that shoulder holding up: but he obviously can play DE, no question in my mind
  16. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

33,043 Messages
    788 Likes Received
  17. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

21,270 Messages
    1,218 Likes Received
    He also named two coaches that are 7 and 6 years younger, like that proved his argument.
  18. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Well-Known Member

1,959 Messages
    684 Likes Received
    I'll tell you why age matters....he's old. Look at what just happened to Arians. Anyone can get sick, have issues, etc. but the reality of the business is these guys put in a massive amount of hours with little sleep. At 72 you may have health issues and this isn't a long term fix. My gut is telling me this is a force hire but I also like what he's done in the pros and would welcome the experience. A strange deal considering he's known for a certain defense but isn't going to run that...maybe
  19. Gameover

Gameover Well-Known Member

3,196 Messages
    473 Likes Received
    Who cares...
  20. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

51,585 Messages
    5,499 Likes Received
    "Don't be cute be good" Jimmy Johnson