1. Like to discuss POLITICS? Come join us at PUNNDITS.com!
    If you like discussing politics and other related topics then your new home (hopefully) for doing just that can be found on Punndits.com! Come join us and help us grow Punndits into a wonderful and safe place to discuss politics with everyone.
    Dismiss Notice

Recommended Historical team rankings (some perspective on the importance of our pass offense)

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by percyhoward, Mar 15, 2014.

1. percyhoward

percyhoward Research Tool

11,195 Messages
    7,013 Likes Received
    Defense's average rankings, 2003-13

2003 3rd, 3rd (3.0)
    2004 27th, 20th (23.5)
    2005 9th, 17th (13.0)
    2006 20th, 11th (15.5)
    2007 5th, 17th (11.0)
    2008 20th, 8th (14.0)
    2009 16th, 4th (10.0)
    2010 21st, 12th (16.5)
    2011 25th, 6th (15.5)
    2012 29th, 26th (27.5)
    2013 26th, 26th (26.0)

2. AmberBeer

AmberBeer Well-Known Member

5,200 Messages
    2,510 Likes Received
    It always has and probably always will come down to who can run the ball effectively and stop the run effectively. Simple as that. If you run the ball, it opens up your offense and it becomes less predictable. You can run out the clock when the need arises. That is HUGE. When you stop the run, it makes the offense 1 dimensional and more predictable.

brooksey1 likes this.
  3. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

40,975 Messages
    19,697 Likes Received
    It's like our defense has been getting worse, or something.

4. percyhoward

11,195 Messages
    7,013 Likes Received
    Some of what you said is true to a degree, but rushing yards don't correlate highly to winning. As stated above, rushing TD are worth more than the yards it takes to get them, when it comes to winning. Teams with a lot of rushing TD are usually also good at racking up passing yards (to get into position to score by the run).

5. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

38,412 Messages
    8,513 Likes Received
    And who were the starters on the front-4 of the very good 2003 defense?

DE Greg Ellis
    DT Leroy Glover
    DT Willie Blade
    DE Ebenezer Ekuban

The Cowboys were only 21st that season in sacks with 32, but were 2nd in yards given up per attempt.

One might say, OK, they were very good against the pass so that means they must not have been as good vs the run...

Well they were 3rd in ypg at 89.1

So it wasn't a case of teams running the ball down the Cowboys' throats.

Gosh, maybe you can have a solid pass defense without having a ton of sacks. Ellis led the team that season with 8 sacks. Glover was 2nd with 5.

dogberry likes this.
  6. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

63,171 Messages
    15,417 Likes Received
    I'm repeating myself (again) but I want defense with each draft pick. The only exception is if we have a higher ranked OL on our board when we are on the clock. The ranking the last few years is an embarrisment.

7. DallasEast

DallasEast Cowboys 24/7/365

31,428 Messages
    5,123 Likes Received
    In my book, a solidly consistent pass rush will always thump sacks. Sacks are just icing on the cake. When a defensive front can pressure the quarterback, it makes him both nervous and prone to making mistakes. The battle is half-won at that stage. It's up to the secondary to win the other half. Lack of a strong consistent pass rush over the past few years has hurt Dallas far more than lack of sack production.

dogberry likes this.
  8. DandyDon1722

DandyDon1722 It's been a good 'un, ain't it?

4,287 Messages
    3,348 Likes Received
    That's because threads like this are avoided by the ten percenters who are anti-Romo because one - they hate it when facts interrupt their agenda's (once we get rid of Romo we'll be fine because it's all his fault) and two - they can't fall all over themselves patting each other on the back after each post. I also think the thread title, if tweaked, would've drawn more attention. Unfortunately this is where I would really like to read what they have to say because it would be an interesting debate based on the fact that you simply cannot win with the product we've been putting on the field based on historical numbers and not hyperbole and conjecture. But, alas, not one of the usual suspects can be found.

It's another phenomenal post by Percy and a big thanks for the work that was put into it. BTW - if the numbers showed something different and things pointed squarely at Romo I would be just as grateful for the information and accept it as such.

Iago33, percyhoward and Idgit like this.
  9. Idgit

40,975 Messages
    19,697 Likes Received
    I would, too.

That's probably because your'e basing your current opinions on data, too. That makes it easy to change ground when he data teaches you something you didn't know already.

10. DandyDon1722

DandyDon1722 It's been a good 'un, ain't it?

4,287 Messages
    3,348 Likes Received
    Yes exactly, and make no mistake, I'm preparing myself to change my ground as Tony ages and injuries take their toll. There will come a day when he simply won't be as effective and I will be clamoring for change but until then he is our first, best and only option to have a chance to win as we are currently put together. Anybody who says differently ignores the every shred of empirical evidence to the contrary.

11. AmberBeer

5,200 Messages
    2,510 Likes Received
    Like I said, SMH, you have to be able to do BOTH, i.e. run the ball effectively and stop the run. Try and come up with those stats and compare.

12. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

22,415 Messages
    2,973 Likes Received
    RW31 made All Pro after that season. He and Woody were absolutely phenomenal that year. Offenses were scared to death of running across the middle on us.
    --then they tried(and eventually achieved) to penalize both our safeties out of football.

13. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

22,415 Messages
    2,973 Likes Received

he has. running is far less correlative to winning than passing is.
    he has shown that 5 or 6 different times now.

rushing yardage is one of the biggest red herrings there is.
    as he mentions rushing TDs has more correlation but overall passing is far more important the past 10-12 years.

passing successfully and stopping the pass are how you win games.
    any NFL team can stop the run with 8 or 9 in the box.

Arizona had the best run defense in football last year. They finished behind two teams who had lesser rush defense in their own division and thus missed the playoffs.
    BOTH those teams finished ahead of Arizona in pass defense.
    All 3 teams were pretty darn good at both.

14. percyhoward

11,195 Messages
    7,013 Likes Received
    No, I'll let you do that.

15. brooksey1

brooksey1 Well-Known Member

2,146 Messages
    961 Likes Received
    Poor defense, terrible running game, no balance in play calling, that's what I see.

16. AmberBeer

5,200 Messages
    2,510 Likes Received
    You don't get it either. And I'm not going to argue with you because no matter what idiotic stats you show me I know I'm right on this.

17. Idgit

40,975 Messages
    19,697 Likes Received
    Nobody ever "gets it" Amber, because you're choosing to believe something that's just not supportable factually. Which is, of course, your prerogative.

18. AmberBeer

5,200 Messages
    2,510 Likes Received
    What type of team just won the Super Bowl?

19. Idgit

40,975 Messages
    19,697 Likes Received
    One that passes efficiently and is the best in the league at defending the pass.

20. AmberBeer

5,200 Messages
    2,510 Likes Received
    Wrong. One that runs the ball efficiently and stops the run. Step away from the video games.