1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

HOF: The great RANDY "MANSTER" WHITE!

Discussion in 'History Zone' started by CrazyCowboy, Aug 19, 2005.

1. CrazyCowboy

CrazyCowboy Well-Known Member

32,183 Messages
    162 Likes Received
    found at site: http://grizz.typepad.com/cowboys/

:star:

Randy White Speaks Today

I was just watching ESPN News and who comes on the screen? The Manster, Randy White. Old number 54 was on as a native from Delaware, part of ESPN's 50 states thing.

Here is what Randy had to say:

His first team in pee wee football was the Stanton Clippers in Newport, Delaware. He played on a team when he was 11-years old that went undefeated and un-scored upon. He played RB and LB until he became too big and moved to the line.

Got his motivation as a football player from his dad who believed if you start something you have to finish it, never do anything half way. So he always worked hard on the football field.

Coach Landry was a "what you see is what you get" kind of guy. You always knew where you stood with him. He would point out your mistakes but always tell you how to fix them. Gave a quick shout-out to Ernie Stautner (asst. coach 1966-1988).

When asked about the hardest guy to tackle he said he played against a lot of great RB's. Named Earl Campbell, Eric Dickerson and said Tony Dorset was great but of course he never had to tackle him in a game. But the toughest to play against was Walter Payton. Told about how one time he tackled Walter and twisted his leg a little after the play and Walter kicked him. Then Walter said "I didn't think you were that kind of player." Randy replied "If I wanted you still down on the ground, then you would be on the ground." A couple of plays later he saw a blur out of the corner of his eye and Walter flew in and laid a block on him by putting his helmet right into Randy's thigh. Said he had a charlie horse for a week, and thought about Walter every time he took a step.

Still lives in Dallas and was asked about the current Cowboys. Said he sees good progress, likes a lot of the young players they have, especially on defense. Through trades and free-agency brought in solid veterans. Thinks BP is a great coach and recognizes good talent. This season depends on how well Bledsoe plays and how well the young guys on defense step up.

Some stats on Randy White:

Drafted in the 1975, 1st round (2nd overall)

9 Pro Bowls in a 14 year career

Super Bowl XII Co-MVP

1978 Defensive Player of the Year

Inducted into the Hall Of Fame in 1994

And finally, the most amazing stat of all, missed only 1 game in his Dallas Cowboys career
  2. CrazyCowboy

32,183 Messages
    162 Likes Received
    Wow! Walter Payton......is the toughest! Because Randy White said so......:bang2:
  3. rw54

rw54 Member

277 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Randy White - legend. Thanks for the post.
  4. noshame

noshame Who wouldn't follow me? Zone Supporter

3,612 Messages
    863 Likes Received
    It was an honor to watch Lilly and White play. Who's next?
  5. Bizwah

Bizwah Well-Known Member

5,987 Messages
    216 Likes Received
    I saw that interview.

Man, the Manster still has HUGE guns!!!

If I had to choose one Cowboy to take into a fight with me, it'd be Randy White.
  6. CrazyCowboy

32,183 Messages
    162 Likes Received
    I am with you on that fight......:banghead:
  7. MinnesotaCowboy

MinnesotaCowboy Member

629 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    Good post......having seen both Lilly and White play.....it would be hard for me to have to make a choice between them. Each was great in his own way. Lilly was quick and very strong about 6" 5". White was a little smaller, very strong and very fast once he broke away from his blocks. I will always remember a game where Randy, from his tackle position, raced across the field and caught a running back from behind when he was ready to shed his would-be tacklers and score. I had never seen then or now a defensive linemen make a play like that! God only knows that I am thankful that both were Dallas Cowboys.
  8. ndanger

ndanger Active Member

2,298 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    I saw that segment today as well .Damn he still looks strong enough to play doesnt he.All time great Cowboy in my opinion.
  9. The30YardSlant

The30YardSlant Benched

24,279 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    If I had to take one Cowboy into a fight with me, I'd take Stephart Williams, because he aint afraid to bust a cap :cool:
  10. Cbz40

Cbz40 The Grand Poobah

31,365 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Randy White could take over a game and just dominate.......I can Only remember a handful of players that could do that.
  11. The30YardSlant

The30YardSlant Benched

24,279 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Never got to see him play, but Ive seen two plays of his that amazed me: One against the Eagles where he sacked the QB, took the ball from him as he was going down, and ran 20-30 yards. Then in a game against New Orleans, he hit the QB, forced a fumble and recovered the fumble for a TD all on one play.
  12. ndanger

ndanger Active Member

2,298 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    Him or Walt Garrison.He's a tuff sum*****,he played a whole game one time with a broken leg.
  13. Cbz40

Cbz40 The Grand Poobah

31,365 Messages
    1 Likes Received

The New Orleans game you mentioned, to me, is synonymous with Randy White. Mention his name and that game comes to mind. I have never seen a player overpower an OL like he did that day.

It was almost unhuman....... :)
  14. The30YardSlant

The30YardSlant Benched

24,279 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    He is one of the few players I've ever seen who you never saw make spins or stunts because he didnt need to. He just pushed the O-linemen on their butt and ran them over.
  15. Cbz40

Cbz40 The Grand Poobah

31,365 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    exactly, brute force, a madman, his motor ran on full throttle........Oh! he was fun to watch.
  16. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

51,644 Messages
    5,556 Likes Received
    For a spell, Leon Lett could almost do that. But he was still a long way from Manster territory.
  17. Cbz40

Cbz40 The Grand Poobah

31,365 Messages
    1 Likes Received

Yes he could Big Dog.....Harvey Martin & Haley came close a few times but nothin even close to the Mansters performance that day.
  18. Chief

Chief "Friggin Joke Monkey"

8,541 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I liked Lilly a lot better.

He was naturally big and strong.
  19. Cbz40

Cbz40 The Grand Poobah

31,365 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Lilly deserves all the props that can be thrown his way.....truly a great player.
  20. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

51,644 Messages
    5,556 Likes Received
    The biggest problem Lilly had is he was born too soon. The way the popularity of the NFL just shot off the charts in the 70's could have made him a huge star if were just starting in '74 instead of retiring.