1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Horsecollar?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by BIGDen, Sep 12, 2005.

1. BIGDen

BIGDen Dr. Freakasaurus Zone Supporter

4,425 Messages
    246 Likes Received
    I couldn't hear the audio to the game yesterday so I don't know if they talked about it, but what the hell was the tackle on Witten?! If that wasn't a "horsecollar tackle" then I really don't know what is. I was watching the game with a bunch of guys (none were Cowboys fans) and they all said the same thing. My friends and I all feel the rule is stupid, but if they have the rule they should be calling it in obvious situations like that.
  2. Outlaw Heroes

Outlaw Heroes Well-Known Member

2,101 Messages
    132 Likes Received
    The announcers claimed it was fine because the defender grabbed his shirt rather than his shoulder pads. Not sure whether that was the correct explanation or not. In FOX's pregame show, they had a segment that indicated that the "horsecollar" is fine, provided that the defender establishes contact with some other part of the receiver's body first (say, by grabbing his arm before reaching for his collar). I believe the play in question might have fallen within this exception to the rule.
  3. rynochop

rynochop Well-Known Member

2,588 Messages
    360 Likes Received
    I have a feeling if that was Roy doing that same play there would have been a penalty.
  4. LooktotheFuture

LooktotheFuture New Member

25 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    I have to agree. What kind of crap was that. It was such a blatant horsecollar tackle.
  5. Everlastingxxx

Everlastingxxx All Star

7,209 Messages
    187 Likes Received
    Refs don’t seem to be enforcing it. I also noticed a closeline in the Patriot game that went uncalled.
  6. BIGDen

BIGDen Dr. Freakasaurus Zone Supporter

4,425 Messages
    246 Likes Received
    Amen!