1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

House votes to ban harsh CIA methods

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by BrAinPaiNt, Dec 14, 2007.

1. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

60,905 Messages
    4,274 Likes Received
    LINK

By PAMELA HESS, Associated Press Writer Thu Dec 13, 6:46 PM ET

WASHINGTON - The House approved an intelligence bill Thursday that would prohibit the CIA from using waterboarding, mock executions and other harsh interrogation methods.

The 222-199 vote sent the measure to the Senate, which still must act before it can go to President Bush. The White House has threatened a veto.

The bill, a House-Senate compromise to authorize intelligence operations in 2008, also blocks spending 70 percent of the intelligence budget until the House and Senate intelligence committees are briefed on Israel's Sept. 6 air strike on an alleged nuclear site in Syria.

The 2008 intelligence budget is classified, but it is more than the $43 billion approved for 2007.

Most of the bill itself also is classified, although some portions were made public. One provision requires reporting to the committees on whether intelligence agency employees are complying with protections for detainees from cruel, inhumane and degrading treatment. Another requires a report on the use of private contractors in intelligence work.

It is the first intelligence authorization conference bill Congress has produced in three years.

The White House threatened to veto the measure this week in a lengthy statement, highlighting more than 11 areas of disagreement with the bill.

The administration particularly opposes restricting the CIA to interrogation methods approved by the military in 2006. That document prohibits forcing detainees to be naked, perform sexual acts, or pose in a sexual manner; placing hoods or sacks over detainees' heads or duct tape over their eyes; beating, shocking, or burning detainees; threatening them with military dogs; exposing them to extreme heat or cold; conducting mock executions; depriving them of food, water, or medical care; and waterboarding.

Waterboarding is a particularly harsh form of interrogation that involves strapping down a prisoner, covering his mouth with plastic or cloth and pouring water over his face. The prisoner quickly begins to inhale water, causing the sensation of drowning.

The CIA is known to have waterboarded three prisoners but has not used the technique since 2003, according to a government official familiar with the program who spoke on condition of anonymity because the information is classified. CIA Director Michael Hayden prohibited waterboarding in 2006. The U.S. military outlawed it the same year.

The intelligence authorization bill also creates a new internal watchdog to oversee all the intelligence agencies. It requires Senate approval for the first time of two agency heads_ the National Reconnaissance Office, which manages the nation's spy satellites, and the National Security Agency, the outfit that conducted warrantless wiretapping on American phone and computer lines in what the White House calls the Terrorist Surveillance Program.

Separately on Thursday, the Senate Judiciary Committee rejected legislation that would have protected telecommunications companies from civil lawsuits over helping the government eavesdrop on Americans' communications without court orders. The legislation would have made the government the defendant in such lawsuits, rather than telecommunications companies. The 5-13 vote sank the measure pushed by Sen. Arlen Specter, R-Pa., who hoped it could be a compromise in the dispute over whether to immunize the companies from lawsuits.

In competing legislation written in October, the Senate Intelligence Committee granted legal immunity to telecom companies. The House passed a bill that does not protect the companies. The White House has also threatened to veto that bill.

Director of National Intelligence Mike McConnell briefed the Senate in a closed session about the matter, making a renewed pitch for flexibility in the rules governing U.S. intelligence surveillance of communications involving foreign targets.
  2. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,628 Messages
    1,572 Likes Received
    Wimps.
    So what happens when we catch a guy and he says:

"There is a bomb at a major sporting event tomorrow. Its already there."

There is more then enough evidence that he is telling the truth.

This is a friday in October. He could mean the playoffs. He could mean college football- hundreds of games- many of them with 50,000+ in the stands.

"I will never tell you where it is. Die infidels!"

You tell me you would NOT use waterboarding.
  3. BrAinPaiNt

60,905 Messages
    4,274 Likes Received
    Calling the US Military Wimps...why do you put down our troops in such a manner?

It is in the Army guidelines.

It appears the only thing is they don't have the CIA and other "agencies" with guidelines preventing torture.
  4. silverbear

silverbear Semi-Official Loose Cannon

24,188 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Nope... there's always a chance the game will involve the Skins...

Oh, wait a sec, you said a playoff game...

Never mind...

Seriously, what makes you think he wouldn't LIE to you under torture, send you on a wild goose chase?? I guess you think that nobody under torture has ever made crap up, to get his torturers to stop...
  5. burmafrd

41,628 Messages
    1,572 Likes Received
    and of course you dodge the question. And yes I call the US Army Generals who bowed to political correctness BS WIMPS.
    Working for the army I see it all the time. Our so called leaderships sucks softballs through garden hose.
  6. BrAinPaiNt

60,905 Messages
    4,274 Likes Received
    Why do you hate our troops? Why do you hate the USA?
  7. Jarv

Jarv Loud pipes saves lives. Zone Supporter

7,063 Messages
    114 Likes Received
    If I had caught the terrorist I would tie him up and read him post from here slowly over and over again until he begged for mercy.
  8. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

32,996 Messages
    719 Likes Received
    :rolleyes:
  9. burmafrd

41,628 Messages
    1,572 Likes Received
    Jarv- get brain, JT, sasqie and Canadian and have them just talk the poor POS to death. Now THAT is torture.

Brain, I know you are trying to be funny, but you really need to understand that your comedic talent factor is in the negative range.

I have great admiration for the enlisted men of the Armed forces. And their sergeants. Higher then that I have very little regard. Sadly, its the bureacracy and the political correctness foisted on the military by the pc morons like so many on this board that has caused so much trouble and so much confusion in the military.
    A military is meant to kill the enemy and destroy the enemies capability to harm us. You cannot do that and be politically correct. Only morons think so.
  10. Cajuncowboy

Cajuncowboy Preacher From The Black Lagoon

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Well, not to get into this all over again BUT :p: Everyone knows how I feel about this. I hate the idea that we have #1 taken one element away from our interrogators and hand cuffed them from getting vital and time sensitive information from the likes of Mousawi (sp) et al. Also, I don't like that we took an advantage way from our military in letting the terrorists know that we will not allow this kind of thing. I mean I want them thinking that if they get caught they are in for hell on earth.
  11. silverbear

24,188 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Crude but effective, and I don't think it violates the Geneva Convention... it should, but I don't think they covered internet message boards...
  12. BrAinPaiNt

60,905 Messages
    4,274 Likes Received
    Actually it is not funny when the Neo-Cons use that line from their playbook that anyone questioning the WAR must hate America or the troops.

It's not much different when a neo-con turns around and does the same thing and gets called out for it.

Also anyone that so willingly will give away or freedoms for the sake of security...
    Anyone that would gleefully seem to condone torture...
    Anyone that would let us lower ourselves one step closer to our enemy...

THOSE people are the ones who are less of Americans and need their IQ checked, Not those that actually believe in the sanctity of the Constitution and the not those that are unwilling to let our own military get one step closer to the enemy in terms of manner and morality.

So maybe you need to stow away your talk of who are MORONs because I think you are getting confused.
  13. silverbear

24,188 Messages
    0 Likes Received

Because we don't all worship at the neocon altar, the way he does... his patron saint is Saint Karl of Rove...
  14. silverbear

24,188 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Well, there's good news here, pal... the right has used the "demonize your enemies" tactic so extensively that it's starting to lose its bite... the neocon point of view grows progressively more discredited with each passing day...
  15. burmafrd

41,628 Messages
    1,572 Likes Received
    No, brain, its you and those that think you can fight a WAR being politically correct that are totally wrong. That is stupid beyond words.
  16. Yeagermeister

Yeagermeister Active Member

47,576 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    After one or two of Bear's diatribes the terrorist would give up Bin Laden's exact location.....aka Bears basement :D