1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

House waves off impeachment measure against Bush

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by trickblue, Jun 11, 2008.

1. trickblue

trickblue Old Testament... Zone Supporter

28,850 Messages
    318 Likes Received
    Link

House waves off impeachment measure against Bush
    By LAURIE KELLMAN, Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON -
    The House has voted to send articles of impeachment against President Bush to a committee that is not likely to hold hearings before the end of his term.

By 251-166, House members dispatched the measure to a committee on Wednesday — a procedure often used to kill legislation.

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi long ago declared the prospects for impeachment proceedings "off the table."

Rep. Dennis Kucinich, D-Ohio, who ran for president earlier this year, insists that his resolution deserves more consideration. He spent more than four hours Monday night reading his 35 articles of impeachment into the record, including charges that Bush manufactured a false case for going to war against Iraq.

House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer said Tuesday that the Democratic-led Congress was holding the Bush administration accountable and questioned spending time on impeachment in the "waning months of this administration's tenure."

An election looms in which every House seat, a third of those in the Senate and the presidency are up for grabs. House leaders are staunchly against spending the remaining time in the abbreviated legislative schedule on impeachment proceedings.

The House vote sent the impeachment articles to the House Judiciary Committee, chaired by Rep. John Conyers, D-Mich., who had once vowed to hold impeachment hearings. He wouldn't immediately comment on the articles' prospects for hearings.

Democratic aides widely suggested those gauging the bill's prospects look to a precedent: the impeachment articles against Vice President Dick Cheney, which were sent to Conyers' committee in November. There's no evidence they will be considered before the Bush administration leaves office in January.

Those were Kucinich's, too. Republicans, seeing a chance to force Democrats into an embarrassing debate, voted to bring up the resolution. Democrats countered by pushing through a motion to scuttle the bill from the floor.

Kucinich's articles also charge Bush with failing to provide troops with vehicle armor, illegally detaining both foreign nationals and Americans, condoning torture, mishandling the government's response to Hurricane Katrina and undermining efforts to address global warning.

"It is imperative that members of Congress have a thorough opportunity to read the articles of impeachment and study the documentation," Kucinich said in a statement.
  2. canters

canters Active Member

1,788 Messages
    6 Likes Received
    We can depend on the left wing of the Dems to undermine the war effort every time they get a chance. .....And they wonder why they rarely win elections....
  3. HoosierCowboy

HoosierCowboy Put Pearson in the HOF

2,108 Messages
    41 Likes Received
    What a joke -- and the morons that dreamed this up will probably get reelected.
  4. ScipioCowboy

ScipioCowboy More than meets the eye. Zone Supporter

14,957 Messages
    2,189 Likes Received
    This whole impeachement affair strikes me as one big nanny-nanny-boo-boo on the part of congressional Democrats. Bush may very well deserve impeachment, but there's no tangible evidence supporting it.
  5. Maikeru-sama

Maikeru-sama Mick Green 58

14,547 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Yep, this is just as stupid as the the whole Monica Lewinsky process.
  6. ChldsPlay

ChldsPlay Well-Known Member

6,221 Messages
    368 Likes Received
    The only things stupid about that were Bill Clinton's actions, his choices in women, and that the impeachment did not go through.
  7. SuspectCorner

SuspectCorner Bromo

7,619 Messages
    72 Likes Received
    Bush has sullied the office of President more than enuff during his two terms - but he won't be able to hide behind that office much longer.

I'll be glad when he vacates and hope that domestic and international proceedings against him and others (hello Dick) will fire up the day afterwards.
  8. HoosierCowboy

HoosierCowboy Put Pearson in the HOF

2,108 Messages
    41 Likes Received
    Bush has endured more unfair attacks than any president in my lifetime--the office of the president has been sullied, but not by Bush.
  9. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

77,119 Messages
    2,909 Likes Received
    Even Dennis Kucinich voted against his own call for impeachment. This is nothing more than a political stunt and the Dems damn well know it. If they actually had something on Bush to impeachment they would. They don't have squat. As I said on the 1st impeachment thread put up or shut up.....Well shut up!!!!
  10. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

60,905 Messages
    4,272 Likes Received
    BooHoo poor bush gets picked on.

The turd deserves 80-90% of what he gets.

Worse president since Carter.
  11. heavyg

heavyg Active Member

1,794 Messages
    7 Likes Received
    You know, I understand we have a deficit. And that is due to the war we are in. I could all but guarantee you if Gore had won the election in 2000 we would be in the same situation (the war). We may not have had the deficit because he would have taxed us to the point of the common folks being in the poor house. Bush's biggest fault in my opinion is his administration dropped the ball on an exit strategy for Iraq. I personally am better off financially since Bush took office.

I just love all these Monday morning quaterbacks. Maybe if the Clintons hadn't cut our military and our defenses to almost nothing we might have avoided 9/11. Maybe not.
  12. AtlCB

AtlCB Active Member

3,684 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Unfortunately, these actions are starting a precedent. Every president from now on will have to deal with rampant attacks from the other side. The next president will have to deal with far worse than what Bush and Clinton dealt with.
  13. AtlCB

AtlCB Active Member

3,684 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    The Whitewater process relates more to this situation. The whole Whitewater impeachment was a colossal waste of time and money.

Monica Lewinski was part of the Paula Jones sexual harrassment trial.
  14. heavyg

heavyg Active Member

1,794 Messages
    7 Likes Received
    I don't think Clinton should have been impeached. That was just stupid. I do however, believe he should be in a Federal Prison for lying to the Grand Jury. Regardless of what he lied about that is not the point. The point is, if you or I lied to the Grand Jury you can bet your sweet arse we would be sitting in a cell.
  15. Doomsday101

77,119 Messages
    2,909 Likes Received
    The lying to a Grand Jury is what got him impeached. Having an affair is not grounds for impeachment and White water was never proven but when Clinton broke the law by lying to a grand jury that was grounds for impeachment.
  16. heavyg

heavyg Active Member

1,794 Messages
    7 Likes Received

It's also grounds for imprisonment. Which anyone else (non-politician) would have seen.
  17. Doomsday101

77,119 Messages
    2,909 Likes Received
    True most could face some jail time but I don't think anyone was looking for that or expecting that when talking President of the United States.
  18. heavyg

heavyg Active Member

1,794 Messages
    7 Likes Received
    I was :D Well maybe not expecting it. But that is what should have happend. I believe no one should be above the law or get special treatment
  19. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

60,905 Messages
    4,272 Likes Received
    We would have went to war in one country, but I kind of doubt we would be spending the money we are spending in going to war in Iraq.

And for the record I can't stand gore.

Look, I don't care if you love bush, like him, or hate him.

He is NOT EVEN CLOSE to a fiscal conservative by ANY stretch of the imagination.
  20. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

32,995 Messages
    719 Likes Received
    Not at all.