1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

How are we going to address everything?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by dantheman41, Jan 15, 2013.

1. dantheman41

dantheman41 Active Member

719 Messages
    121 Likes Received
    How are we going to address all our needs with no cap space and only 6 picks?

We need:

D line
    O line
    Tight end
    QB
    Safety
    Running back
    Wide receiver
  2. JerryJonesMustGo

JerryJonesMustGo Active Member

299 Messages
    89 Likes Received
    Might be inline for a top 5 pick next year with the way things are looking. Hard to make a switch like this without the personnel to make it and no cap space.
  3. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

77,119 Messages
    2,928 Likes Received
    Chances are they won't. I would hope though they would look at the best player over looking at just the position. I really do not see QB as a high priority pick at this stage
  4. Aven8

Aven8 Well-Known Member

4,290 Messages
    905 Likes Received
    Everybody wants the San Fran Oline don't they? That's how you build one, by sucking for years. Houston hid the same thing.
  5. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

27,708 Messages
    1,921 Likes Received
    Well we already have the key piece with Tyron. So now we just need to start filling in the rest of the guys.

Warmack would be a step in the right direction. Jones or Frederick in the 2nd would really give us a lift.
  6. GloryDaysRBack

GloryDaysRBack Well-Known Member

9,332 Messages
    745 Likes Received
    i thought last year that we were 2 years away from getting close to filling in the holes

i still feel like we are two years away

wasted year

no chance we fill all the holes in 1 offseason
  7. Cowboys22

Cowboys22 Well-Known Member

3,616 Messages
    380 Likes Received

First off, the cap space thing is not an issue. They are way over right now but it means nothing. Actually, the contracts were structured this way on purpose to allow them to convert the large base salaries to bonuses and reduce the cap hits. They will create plenty of cap room with restructures and cuts.

I think you can knock TE and QB off your list. They will re-sign Romo and have Orton as the backup. They may use a draft pick on a QB but it will be later on, maybe 5th or 6th round if someone they like falls. Why do they need a TE? Hanna appears to be a fine backup and if they want a blocking TE, they can pick one up cheap off the street or use a reserve OL during games.

DL and OL that can help will be available in the draft in rounds 1-3 and so will a safety. So get a 3 technique DT, OL, and S in rounds 1-3. Best player available, hopefully a pass rushing DE and a C, after that.

RB and WR can be supplemented with mid level veteran free agents. There are dozens of these guys available at both positions every single year and they don't cost too much.

There you have it. It's not hard at all to see how they can get it done.
  8. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

27,708 Messages
    1,921 Likes Received

We'll never fill all the holes and we don't need to in salary cap football.

What we need to do is build a strength on the offensive or defensive line. That can overcome a lot.
  9. MissouriCowboy

MissouriCowboy Active Member

696 Messages
    149 Likes Received
    Tight end not worried about.
  10. GloryDaysRBack

9,332 Messages
    745 Likes Received
    agreed

might as well dump all the resources into the OL

let spence walk

sign FA
    DRaft OL in rd 1 and 2

should be good enough

pipedream
  11. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

27,708 Messages
    1,921 Likes Received

Im hoping we can franchise him and trade him to a team. Maybe the Rams?
  12. GloryDaysRBack

9,332 Messages
    745 Likes Received
    going to have to work cap magic for that...cap hit is too big
  13. TwoDeep3

TwoDeep3 Well-Known Member

6,190 Messages
    1,978 Likes Received
    Changing the battle plan on defense has a ripple effect that will transcend the entire team.

Instead of focusing on the offensive line and perhaps a nose tackle, the team will now have to tool the defense to fit something entirely different.

Knee-jerk reaction by people who don't understand football is what got them here.

And while they dance with the defense, and adding another couple of seasons to be at the apex, Romo ages.

Tick, tock...
  14. GloryDaysRBack

9,332 Messages
    745 Likes Received
    this is almost a given now...i agree

the only hope now is that all the resources still go into the OL and the plan is to hope kiffin can work wonders w the same roster ryan had

wont happen, but thats the best course of action IMO
  15. DBOY3141

DBOY3141 Well-Known Member

3,219 Messages
    496 Likes Received
    TE, QB, WR are not needs.

Witten and Hannah are just fine

Romo will be extended and Orton is a fine back-up. The days of drafting a QB to groom are over.

Dez, Miles, Harris are the top 3 and are fine. I don't trust Miles, but he is fine as a #2, he just needs to take a pay cut. Beasley, Cole can round out the 4 and 5 slots.

Need a 2nd RB, Dunbar and Tanner can fight for #3. 4th round or lower will do the trick.

OL, DL, and safety are the problems.

Cap is a joke and they will be fine.

1st round - Warmack, Cooper or DL
    2nd round - safety
    3rd round - DL or OL

FA: Moore or Slauson from NYJ. Know the system and are better than Berny and Livings.

We have enough pieces to compete, add a couple of more and we will be in the playoffs.

Injuries and OL wrecked this season, but we still had a chance going into the final week. We are closer to the playoffs than a 5-11 season.
  16. TINGS21

TINGS21 Member

32 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    With a salary cap league we can't have studs at every position. With that I believe you shoot for the best Oline and Dline you can make.

Safety is the next important pc. Could be our weak link if Church and Matty J dont step up

TE: We have a Future HoF, an emerging stud in Hanna and a capable back up in Phillips.

QB we are just fine. Maybe a late rd pick to develop someone

RB- They're dime a dozen.

WR- If Dez and Hanna both improve as much as they did last year not i wouldnt be concerned one bit.
  17. dantheman41

dantheman41 Active Member

719 Messages
    121 Likes Received
    I know tight end isn't a huge deal, but Phillips will be gone and they will have to replace him
  18. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

27,708 Messages
    1,921 Likes Received
    We did some 4-3 stuff this year plus Kiffin's scheme isn't that difficult to learn.

I think this is going to be an easy transition. About as easy as it could be.
  19. GloryDaysRBack

9,332 Messages
    745 Likes Received
    how many new starters is it realistic to acquire in 1 offseason?

3-4?

thats not enough for all of our holes
  20. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

27,708 Messages
    1,921 Likes Received
    For the defense or the entire team?

If we let Spencer walk we should only need 3 guys on defense. Maybe Albright or Simms could play SOLB. So then we'd only need 2.