1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

How Bad Have Tony Romo's Defenses Been?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by NeonDeion21, Apr 10, 2014.

1. REDVOLUTION

REDVOLUTION Return to Dominance

24,062 Messages
    776 Likes Received
    I don't like Eli but he is good AND... lucky! That's how it goes sometimes.
    Wayne02 likes this.
  2. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,686 Messages
    1,625 Likes Received
    I would say our bad times are the product of about 60% bad Defense; 20% Offense problems at the worst possible time; and 20% bad coaching.
  3. FuzzyLumpkins

FuzzyLumpkins The Boognish

16,348 Messages
    2,163 Likes Received
    I really like what Linehan did with Megatron. I hope that he can do much of the same with Dez. With Callahan and Pollock still on board, I am comfortable that when a run is called the blocking will be executed with consistency like we saw in the second half of last year.

If we draft another OL early then I think we could be dominant. Replace Leary with Sua'filo or Martin or Free with Lewan.
  4. REDVOLUTION

REDVOLUTION Return to Dominance

24,062 Messages
    776 Likes Received
    Lopsided/wacky division of percentages.
  5. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

27,380 Messages
    2,795 Likes Received
    In fairness, that year we went vertical a TON.
  6. percyhoward

percyhoward Research Tool

8,441 Messages
    2,380 Likes Received
    Just out of curiosity, was there a reason you didn't use points per drive and passer rating? They have higher correlations to winning than the stats you used here.

It's still useful information though.
  7. Maxmadden

Maxmadden Active Member

991 Messages
    128 Likes Received
    A good defense will give your offense more scoring opportunities, opportunities with better field position, and score a few points of their own while taking pressure off the offense to score every time. A good defense would be able to salt away a victory without it coming down to Romo trying to win it on the last desperation drive. Romo has lost a few games with a costly turnover but it is the defense that puts him in those situations far too often.
  8. BigStar

BigStar Stop chasing Zone Supporter

3,657 Messages
    1,442 Likes Received
    True, I think that is where some of the frustration came from fans towards the offense last season. The O and Tony had a great statistical season, but we weren't taking many chances either. The RZ scoring improved too and hope that continues. Just hope the O stretches it more this season and should with Linehan on board. Wouldn't be surprised to see a shifty RB taken mid round that can replicate the success he had with Bush/Bell last season. I like Dunbar, but with Murray being a FA next season on top, a RB will probably be picked in the first 4 rounds.
  9. OhSnap

OhSnap Well-Known Member

1,591 Messages
    721 Likes Received
    You know the deal. When your winning you don't even have to wash your socks.
    casmith07 and BigStar like this.
  10. BigStar

BigStar Stop chasing Zone Supporter

3,657 Messages
    1,442 Likes Received
    [IMG]
    OhSnap likes this.
  11. Mr Cowboy

Mr Cowboy Well-Known Member

8,586 Messages
    836 Likes Received
    please add the entertainment value of those other franchises to the comparison charts......:D
  12. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

50,344 Messages
    4,488 Likes Received
    Getting a OL early is critical the next 2 years IMO to replace Leary and Free unless we can get a 5th or 6th who can step in and surprise. Finish fixing the OL for once PLEASE. I want The Great Wall Part ll.
    tantrix1969, BigStar and OhSnap like this.
  13. NeonDeion21

NeonDeion21 Well-Known Member

2,067 Messages
    434 Likes Received
  14. NeonDeion21

2,067 Messages
    434 Likes Received
    You are correct. Both those stats do have higher correlations to winning. I may need to do this article in two parts.
  15. TheFinisher

TheFinisher Well-Known Member

2,463 Messages
    621 Likes Received
    This chart says Romo's had on average, an average defense throughout his career. There have been extreme highs like in 09 when we had the 2nd ranked defense and extreme lows like last year but basically everything else have averaged out. If he needs a consistent top 10 defense to get in the playoffs why are we paying him 100 million dollars?
  16. TwoDeep3

TwoDeep3 Well-Known Member

6,227 Messages
    2,044 Likes Received
    One day I expect to come here and see a thread filled with stats and find out Romo and company won five straight Superbowls.

I mean the reason for these threads are so blatantly trying to justify history, are they not?
    tantrix1969 likes this.
  17. NeonDeion21

2,067 Messages
    434 Likes Received
  18. johnson2

johnson2 Active Member

138 Messages
    80 Likes Received
    would love to see a compare of dqbr from sb winning qbs and also compare win % to other qb's with 80qbr, 90qbr, 100qbr etc.
  19. NeonDeion21

2,067 Messages
    434 Likes Received
    That means you must not like Joe Flacco and Ben Roethlisberger either.
  20. TheFinisher

TheFinisher Well-Known Member

2,463 Messages
    621 Likes Received
    Not particularly, but they also both made the plays they needed to in the big moments to earn that money. Tony hasn't.