1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

How Can We Be 20 Million Over the Cap?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Vinnie2u, Feb 12, 2013.

1. Vinnie2u

Vinnie2u Well-Known Member

2,140 Messages
    436 Likes Received
    The way I see it Only 4 Players deserve Big Money. Ware, Romo(Maybe), Carr and Witten. We have Players that are young and on Rookie contracts. T. Smith, Dez, Mo, Carter, Lee, Murray ect. Our Oline is Garbage, our Dline is Garbage our Safeties are Garbage.. Where did all the money go? 2 words Cap Mismanagement. Now we gotta make decisions on Spencer, Jenkins, Spears, Felix and Butler.. Atlanta is 4.9 under, Ravens 15 under, Denver 18.5 under, Packers 7 under, New England 19 under, San Fran 9 under. Jerry we gotta do better..
  2. Blue Eyed Devil

Blue Eyed Devil Active Member

474 Messages
    55 Likes Received
    Well, Doug Free is owed $11 million next year, more than Ware or Witten. Also, Jay Ratliff would have been a free agent right now and owed zero dollars but instead he got an extension last year which owes him $8 million next year. I think we also owe Terrence Newman $4 million, yep, still paying that guy.

Same song different verse as Roy Williams 1 extension, leonard davis contract, andre gurode extension, terrence newman extension, Ken Hamlin contract, Roy Williams 2 contract, Marion barber extension, etc.

It's the reason why this team is in its 8-8 rut. The GM consistently overpays average and declining players.
  3. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,585 Messages
    2,242 Likes Received
    Here's the top 10 cap hits for the team, taken from a Watkins article from a a little bit back.

Code:
    1. Tony Romo (cap number [B]$16.8 million[/B], base salary $11.5 million) 
    2. Brandon Carr (cap number [B]$16.3 million[/B], base salary $14.3 million) 
    3. DeMarcus Ware (cap number [B]$11.3 million[/B], base salary $5.5 million) 
    4. Doug Free (cap number [B]$10.2 million[/B], base salary $7 million) 
    5. Miles Austin (cap number [B]$8.3 million[/B], base salary $6.7 million) 
    6. Jason Witten (cap number [B]$8 million[/B], base salary $5.5 million) 
    7. Jay Ratliff (cap number [B]$7 million[/B], base salary $5 million) 
    8. Dan Connor (cap number [B]$4.3 million[/B], base salary $3 million) 
    9. Gerald Sensabaugh (cap number [B]$3.8 million[/B], base salary $3 million) 
    10. Orlando Scandrick (cap number [B]$3.78 million[/B], base salary $2 million)
    That's about 90M for those 10 players.
  4. Blue Eyed Devil

474 Messages
    55 Likes Received
    Sensabaugh in the top-10 is surprising but at least he's a starter. How are backups Dan Connor and Orlando Scandrick in the top 10? 8 million dollars to guys that come off the bench? Wow, that's shocking.
  5. Blue Eyed Devil

474 Messages
    55 Likes Received
    Wait, I thought Miles didn't have a signing bonus. So how can his cap hit be higher than his base salary?
  6. CaptainMorgan

CaptainMorgan Well-Known Member

2,048 Messages
    524 Likes Received
    Not sure why you added maybe next to Romo's name. Name one player on the team better at his position that Romo? Ware possibly if he isnt falling apart physically, other than that he is without a doubt our best player.
  7. CaptainMorgan

CaptainMorgan Well-Known Member

2,048 Messages
    524 Likes Received
    I count 5 players on that list that would not be here next season if I were calling the shots and two more would be restructuring / extending.
  8. Diogenes

Diogenes Active Member

1,200 Messages
    13 Likes Received

Witten and Dez would at least be in that conversation.
  9. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,585 Messages
    2,242 Likes Received
    Dallas restructured his base salary last year in order to make enough room.

As a result, any money they take off the base salary gets prorated out across the contract in the same manner as if it were a signing bonus.
  10. Frozen700

Frozen700 Well-Known Member

12,667 Messages
    1,013 Likes Received
    Ware needs to take a pay cut......seriously, guy is just a pass rusher. And hes not even the best at that anymore
  11. rocyaice

rocyaice Well-Known Member

7,123 Messages
    1,148 Likes Received
    I can't tell if you're serious or joking?
  12. LatinMind

LatinMind iPhotoshop

8,997 Messages
    2,024 Likes Received
    Romo will be restructured and probably saving 8 mil this yr.

Carr is young he will be in Dallas for this contract and possibly 1 more. IMO they could probably save 8-10 mil this yr.

Ware could probably save 4

Free will be cut saving 7

Thats like 27-29 mil right there.
  13. muck4doo

muck4doo Well-Known Member

2,008 Messages
    92 Likes Received
    Jerry Jones never watched no Moneyball
  14. SkinsandTerps

SkinsandTerps Redskins Forever

7,406 Messages
    20 Likes Received
    Most NFL owners haven't... can't just blame Jerry for that one.

Jerry has the open wallet...but somewhere else in there...something is going wrong. I will say they are seemingly more on the upside these days.

One thing I don't get is Carr and his base salary...it should be more balanced. Maybe it was because of the cap hit. I understand the bonus...just not the base.
  15. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,857 Messages
    1,698 Likes Received
    Drugs are a terrible thing
  16. CosmicCowboy

CosmicCowboy Member

957 Messages
    12 Likes Received
    thank, our all wise and powerful GM.....:rolleyes:
  17. ufcrules1

ufcrules1 Well-Known Member

7,294 Messages
    1,465 Likes Received
    Sean Lee, Brandon Carr, Dez Bryant, Witten, Ware just to name a few.
  18. PAINFROMUKRAINE

PAINFROMUKRAINE Active Member

191 Messages
    75 Likes Received
    Jerry is not the issue. Jerry is a people person. He respects players and always rewards them. The players get "Fat, Dumb, & Happy" and do not perform to their previous levels or their expected potential. I would love to work for Jerry because he believes Players are his biggest asset to success. The Roy Williams & Doug Frees of this world have no heart or pride. They just take the money and do not play. Jerry needs to rebuild the entire team and just stick with lowly paid "young players" who have heart and the desire to win.
  19. JPM

JPM Well-Known Member

5,655 Messages
    149 Likes Received
    Ravens 15 mill under, I wonder how much Flacco will take up once he's singed.....
  20. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

51,649 Messages
    5,560 Likes Received
    Why don't we wait for restructures and free agency actually begins before we start throwing Jerry under the bus.