1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

How did Doug Free decline so much?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by mmillman, Dec 3, 2012.

1. mmillman

mmillman Active Member

2,141 Messages
    22 Likes Received
    Anybody have any insight how this guy looked so good two years ago but has declined with experience?
  2. GloryDaysRBack

GloryDaysRBack Well-Known Member

9,204 Messages
    602 Likes Received
    The better question is how did he play so well that one year.

That was the abboration, not what we are seeing now
  3. CowboysPhan

CowboysPhan Obsequious Cowboys Toadie

447 Messages
    34 Likes Received
    It boggles the mind. I refuse to believe any player would just stop even trying. His coaches and team-mates seem to believe he's trying hard, he just can't seem to do it anymore. Someone mentioned in another thread that he is icing his knees and ankles after every game. Could be that he has some tendonitis started that is slowing him down? I don't know. Really I got nothing.
  4. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

31,090 Messages
    1,939 Likes Received
    Good question.

I've seen it written more than once that it's Free's technique that is so very bad.
  5. myslamsareolder

myslamsareolder Member

188 Messages
    15 Likes Received
    Which is crazy, because Free has never played with power. He had great feet and good technique... Idk what the eff happened. You can say that the one year was the aberration, but it wasn't just one year he played great filling in for colombo and even better his first year at LT. :confused:
  6. dallasfan4lizife

dallasfan4lizife Well-Known Member

2,596 Messages
    256 Likes Received
    news flash. he was never any good.

you just believed all the happy fans from our amazing, garrett led, 6-10 season and how he was a future pro-bowler
  7. Sandman52

Sandman52 Member

597 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Maybe his big contract is holding him back.

Posted from Cowboyszone.com App for Android
  8. nickjamesw43

nickjamesw43 Active Member

356 Messages
    98 Likes Received
  9. gmb85

gmb85 Active Member

1,486 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    Jerry's holding him back. Everything is Jerrah's fault.
  10. LatinMind

LatinMind iPhotoshop

8,285 Messages
    1,231 Likes Received
    I think its the constant moving Rt,LT,RT in 3 yrs. Didnt we see this with Gurode? Gurode finally put it together when he was left alone and was THE center. I think some of it comes with the revolving door along side of him too the past 2 yrs. Last yr was a revolving door at LG and this yr Bernadeau and Dockery have done the same. Free settled down yesterday and played a pretty good 2nd half. Not good enough to like what hes doing. But i think he'll be better next yr since he will be a RT in 2013.
  11. 67CowboysFan

67CowboysFan New Member

2,345 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I agree 100%
  12. nalam

nalam The realist Zone Supporter

1,289 Messages
    50 Likes Received
    What's the guarantee , he will improve suddenly ?
  13. LatinMind

LatinMind iPhotoshop

8,285 Messages
    1,231 Likes Received
    Its a fans opinion. Whats the guarantee he wont?
  14. MagicMan

MagicMan Active Member

762 Messages
    61 Likes Received
    anybody checked his pockets??? He may be carrying his wallet around.
  15. alsmith

alsmith Member

296 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Well to be honest it more about technique that he is being ask to use and of course another switch in position but mostly its a tech thing, that Bill the new OL coach is asking him to use, it is totally different from the scheme and technique that Houch ask the OL to use and a different zone blocking scheme and it takes time to re learn the position and new technique..
  16. mgcowboy

mgcowboy Active Member

1,070 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    Could it be that Callahan is the one who is not doing a good job to coach these guys and get the best out of them?

Philly picked few OL'men off the street and they are doing decent job...
    Skins are hurt on their OL and yet still able to do well
    Giants doing decent job...

I am starting to wonder if Callahan is not that all really...

:cool:
  17. CowboysYanksLakers

CowboysYanksLakers Well-Known Member

3,953 Messages
    427 Likes Received
    I want to see Parnell start at RT.
  18. plymkr

plymkr Member

97 Messages
    17 Likes Received
    I have no clue why Free is playing this bad, I just go with the line that everything bad is Jerry's fault, jk. The thought I had last night was if I remember correctly Philly wanted to sign Free and they were our main competition for him. They signed Nandi (sp) out from under Jerry's nose and Jerry signed Free. In hindsight it wouldn't have been bad if both Free and Nandi got away from us. I'm glad Jerry signed Free and not Nandi. Bth have busted for each team but Nandi costs more, I think, and if Jerry is going to spend the big money I like it when he spends it in the trenches. I admit I'm hard on Jerry but this one he got it right even though Free has sucked and is a liability. I just wish we could get lucky on one of these oline men.
  19. TTexasTT

TTexasTT Well-Known Member

1,926 Messages
    737 Likes Received
    I was wondering this myself. I finally just told myself the he probably had some nagging injury slowing him. Not that it matters much, but its clear he is pretty disgusted with himself. After Romo gets decimated by his blocking assignment he runs back there to help him up and tell him he is sorry lol.
    I really hope it gets it together. I never had hopes of him going to the pro bowl but I never expected this much of a problem.
  20. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

48,297 Messages
    2,861 Likes Received
    :jackpot: