1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

How do you solve a cat problem?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by Cajuncowboy, Dec 28, 2012.

1. Cajuncowboy

Cajuncowboy Preacher From The Black Lagoon

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    I am really ticked off with a couple of my neighbors. We live in a very nice area and nice homes. But I have a problem with a couple of cats from my neighbors. We have a great bird watching area and my wife and I love all of them that come to feed. We have everything from Cardinals to Blue Jays and mocking birds and yellow finches. The back yard is flush with these birds.

However I have seen my neighbors cats come in my yard several times and attack these birds, kill them and leave them lay on my driveway.They defecate everywhere as well. My neighbors on the other side have the same issue with these cats. I am just about ready to plug these cats next time I see them and take their bodies out in the sticks and dump them.

Before I go postal on these cats is there anything I can lay down along my property line that will detract the cats from coming on my property?

And for the record I have mentioned it to the cat owners and they don't seem that concerned.

And just to be clear, I really hat cats. All of them. They could all shrivel up and die right now and I wouldn't miss them at all.
  2. tupperware

tupperware A Plastic Container

7,269 Messages
    93 Likes Received
  3. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

21,953 Messages
    1,534 Likes Received
    Plant catnip in areas of the neighborhood away from your house.
  4. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

28,045 Messages
    2,273 Likes Received
    Get a super soaker.
  5. StevenOtero

StevenOtero Well-Known Member

6,455 Messages
    419 Likes Received
  6. DallasCowpoke

DallasCowpoke Fierce Allegiance

5,431 Messages
    194 Likes Received
    Chinese restaurant delivery menus?

:D
  7. a_minimalist

a_minimalist Well-Known Member

4,690 Messages
    131 Likes Received
    A pit bull that eats cats?
  8. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

39,108 Messages
    4,579 Likes Received
    Get a dog
    spray them with water
    check to see if there are lease laws applicable
  9. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

32,687 Messages
    3,193 Likes Received
    Check with zoning/pet laws and see if cats are allowed to run loose.

Many areas have put in place laws that cat owners are not allowed to do that.
  10. DallasCowpoke

DallasCowpoke Fierce Allegiance

5,431 Messages
    194 Likes Received
    Maybe get some smarter birds? Seriously, how oblivious are these birds in your backyard to predators?

I mean if birds are at a feeder, that seems the time they're the most vigilant, that's just part of their instinct.

Either you have the Seal Team Six equivalent of felines in your area, or the Lenny and Squiggy/s of bird-kind.
  11. 5Stars

5Stars Here comes the Sun...

26,730 Messages
    1,811 Likes Received
    :lmao2:
  12. muck4doo

muck4doo Well-Known Member

2,008 Messages
    92 Likes Received
    Polar bears
  13. Cajuncowboy

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received

Nice.
  14. Cajuncowboy

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    My favorite solution.
  15. muck4doo

2,008 Messages
    92 Likes Received
    Miniature bb guns that birds can use.
  16. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,584 Messages
    527 Likes Received
    I've been told Sulphur (sp?) will keep them away.
  17. 5Stars

5Stars Here comes the Sun...

26,730 Messages
    1,811 Likes Received
  18. Faerluna

Faerluna I'm Complicated

5,144 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    There are several products you can try that are safe for the cats as well as any other animals or kids in your area:

- http://www.safepetproducts.com/cat-...gclid=CIawia3EvrQCFUQw4AodNC8AOQ#.UN5Q4qwePmI

- http://www.havahart.com/store/animal-repellents/spray-away

- Scatter fresh orange and lemon peels or spray with citrus-scented fragrances. Coffee grounds, vinegar, pipe tobacco, or oil of lavender, lemongrass, citronella, or eucalyptus also deter cats.

- Plant some dense bushes around the feeders so the cats would have difficulty getting through, but the birds can still go to the feeder.

I'll also add that most house cats are only likely to catch the old and the infirm birds. Most birds that are young and healthy will be well aware of the cats presence and will take the appropriate action to avoid them. The only reason you are seeing them is because they are being helped to their demise near your driveway instead of keeling over in the trees.
  19. Faerluna

Faerluna I'm Complicated

5,144 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    If those options don't work, you may want to consider speaking with the neighbor about having an enclosure for the cats built. This way kitties can go outside without causing issues for neighbors.

Many enclosures can be accessed by an unused window or doggy door setup and they can be very nice, depending on how much room you have.

Here's a site with examples of enclosures, from small to large and elaborate:

http://www.catsofaustralia.com/cat-enclosures.htm
  20. muck4doo

2,008 Messages
    92 Likes Received