1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

How does our offense fit a WCO

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Galian Beast, Jan 22, 2013.

1. Galian Beast

Galian Beast Well-Known Member

9,086 Messages
    1,329 Likes Received
    I'm not sure how much WCO we're going to be able to implement. Does any one with familiarity of how Callahan calls his WCO have any details or articles they could provide?

Honestly, I mostly worry about Romo and Bryant here.
  2. dexternjack

dexternjack World Traveler Zone Supporter

6,173 Messages
    1,870 Likes Received
  3. DOUBLE WING

DOUBLE WING Well-Known Member

3,218 Messages
    847 Likes Received
    Dez should beast in a WCO.
  4. GloryDaysRBack

GloryDaysRBack Well-Known Member

9,348 Messages
    761 Likes Received
    I don't think it's safe to assume we are going to a WCO..

Not sayin we aren't. Just don't know.
  5. 187beatdown

187beatdown Lack of Big Plays

3,896 Messages
    581 Likes Received
    I've always thought Romo was a WCO type of QB.

Interesting about needing to get smaller quicker linemen though.
  6. Galian Beast

Galian Beast Well-Known Member

9,086 Messages
    1,329 Likes Received
    What I've read so far has really confirmed my assumptions.

That it will certainly help hide a poor offensive line since the plays are supposed to develop more quickly with short-intermediate passing routes. There is an emphasis on run after the catch which highlights both Austin and Bryant's abilities.

My biggest worry is Bryant needing to learn a new system so quickly, and Romo not being terribly accurate on crossing routes. He is at his best when the play is breaking down, and he is ad libing, which is the complete opposite of the west coast offense from what I can tell so far. Perhaps when a play breaks down it breaks down, and that will be a benefit in any system.

I would like to see Romo running a bit more with this offense, assuming we implement much of it.

It should also be good for Murray.
  7. Titleist

Titleist Well-Known Member

623 Messages
    256 Likes Received
    I think that Dez will do fine in any system, but there is an emphasis in precise route running in WCO, something that I'm not sure Dez is 100% capable of doing at this moment.
  8. Fletch

Fletch To The Moon

9,826 Messages
    970 Likes Received
    It will be a variation, or hybrid at least.
  9. juck

juck Well-Known Member

9,125 Messages
    80 Likes Received
    Dez could be like TO was in WCO.Domination!
  10. bounce

bounce Active Member

714 Messages
    217 Likes Received
    From a personnel standpoint, we look good. WRs need be good after the catch, which Dez and Miles both excel at (if healthy). TE is more of a possession guy, which Witten obviously is. QB needs to be mobile (which Romo is) but also accurate on short routes and making decisions quickly (which Romo could be better at). OL obviously needs help regardless of what system we run.

I wonder what it means for Felix, though. WCO utilizes a lot of pass catching backs, either split out or out of the backfield. Not that he'd be a top option, I just always thought we should utilize him more like that.
  11. RW Hitman

RW Hitman Well-Known Member

2,550 Messages
    66 Likes Received
    this is very true...
  12. cannonball44

cannonball44 Stephen Peterman's Campaign Manager

567 Messages
    100 Likes Received
    Dez will be great no matter what. The real winner here is Beasley.
  13. JohnsKey19

JohnsKey19 Well-Known Member

6,496 Messages
    452 Likes Received
    Felix's ability to be a receiver out of the backfield was much hyped early in his career but he never was able to live up to those expectations. Murray seems much more natural catching the ball out of the backfield.
  14. DBOY3141

DBOY3141 Well-Known Member

3,229 Messages
    505 Likes Received
    Fix the OL and the offense will be fine. I think Callahan's/Garrett's system will merge nicely and it will be fine.

Murray if healthly will put up big numbers, he's a good pass catcher coming out of the backfield which is a must in Callahan's system.

Give me Jonathan Cooper in the 1st and you will see massive improvement in the OL next year.
  15. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,576 Messages
    513 Likes Received
    The only thing changing is the playcaller, not the offensive system.
  16. Omegasupreme

Omegasupreme Member

248 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Wrong.

Jones said Callahan could incorporate some elements of the old Raiders’ offense he coordinated, if he becomes the play-caller. That could mean more of a West Coast style.

“If Bill Callahan has more influence, if he does, then you will see more of some of the things that have worked for him in his coaching career,” Jones said. “You expect that, and that will be a plus for us.”
  17. Staxxxx

Staxxxx Member

286 Messages
    10 Likes Received
    I agree with this. I think the only thing that changes here is the guy calling the plays on game day. Maybe we add a little WC flavor as things progress. Just some speculation on my part here, but I think the reason we stayed in house here is because Garrett isn't willing giving up the offense, just game day play calling duties. Maybe Callahan gets a little more involved in setting the game plan but I don't think Garrett steps away.
  18. dupree89

dupree89 Well-Known Member

1,993 Messages
    1,127 Likes Received
    This was going to be my question...Actually not even just Dez. But with more precise routes in the WCO isnt it even more important to have the QB/WR on the same page? Serious question...want to make sure my assumption is right.
    Dez isnt the only WR I'd be worrying about. 19 and 85 had issues too.

Oh...and does Harris fit this offensive philosphy?
  19. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,576 Messages
    513 Likes Received
    No I'm not wrong. Incorporating and changing to a new system are NOT the same thing.
  20. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,782 Messages
    1,173 Likes Received
    Garrett's offense already had some WCO elements. This could be just some of Callahan's favorite plays that could fit the talents of Tony, Dez, Miles, Jason, and DeMarco. He could also change Romo's calls to 4 plays to choose from like he had with the Raiders. Currently Romo chooses between 2 plays.