1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

********: How ESPN Ditched Journalism And Followed Skip Bayless To The Bottom

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by SaltwaterServr, Nov 13, 2012.

1. SaltwaterServr

SaltwaterServr Blank Paper Offends Me

8,124 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    In October, Doug Gottlieb, a radio host and basketball analyst who'd decamped for CBS the previous month after nine years with ESPN, went on The Dan Patrick Show and dropped something of a truth bomb about his time in Bristol:
    I was told specifically, "You can't talk enough Tebow." I would jokingly throw it into a segment. "I gotta find 15 seconds here to talk about Tebow, all right let's move on and talk about Major League Baseball."

Later, he said:

Is it ridiculous how much you have to talk about Tebow? Yeah! But for whatever reason people can't get enough of that story, and they kind of stoke the fireā€”that's kind of what ESPN does.

Read the rest below. Summary, ESPN has no journalistic integrity whatsoever. The end.

http://********.com/5929361/how-esp...-skip-bayless-to-the-bottom-a-tim-tebow-story
  2. Bluestang

Bluestang Well-Known Member

5,487 Messages
    678 Likes Received
    This is news?
  3. SaltwaterServr

8,124 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Errrr. Not really, but no one's ever bothered to put it all together with word type things on the interwebz before.
  4. Bluestang

Bluestang Well-Known Member

5,487 Messages
    678 Likes Received
    That's why I find it amusing when people start a thread and the first thing they say is that they listened to ESPN or ESPN Radio.
  5. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

29,567 Messages
    5,293 Likes Received
    That litany of gaffes is pretty damning.
  6. Kangaroo

Kangaroo Active Member

9,893 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    This is why I quit watching ESPN long ago or reading the espn site.

I only go to ESPN to watch an actual game and basketball score they have the best Basketball Box score breakdowns. otherwise I ignore espn
  7. Yakuza Rich

Yakuza Rich Well-Known Member

11,903 Messages
    918 Likes Received
    What kills me is how many people still staunchly defend ESPN.

But, this is more than ESPN. ESPN is a large part of the sports media and generally dictate what the sports media is doing, but we've seen this regression of the sports media for years. I think a big indictment of this is Mike Florio's rise to fame in the world of NFL 'journalism.' He's got a prominent position at NBC which if you know how he got started, is really a joke. Sadly, he had offers from both ESPN and NBC, but NBC outbid ESPN for his services.

It's not that this stuff has been going on for a while. We were always going to find those reporters that would lack any integrity to move ahead. It's just that it started to become more popular and then blatantly encouraged by ESPN. And from my experience, once there is more leeway given for integrity and accuracy, eventually people will just start making stories up.

YR
  8. SaltwaterServr

8,124 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    True that.

I always say that if you get your "new" from a source, at least the source should have "news" somewhere in its original nomenclature.
  9. WPBCowboysFan

WPBCowboysFan Well-Known Member

5,343 Messages
    1,650 Likes Received

Its not just sports media/journalism. Its in all of journalism. Its all about creating interest and ratings as well as agenda promoting.
  10. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

20,860 Messages
    7,258 Likes Received
    Well I'm convinced.
  11. ethiostar

ethiostar Well-Known Member

6,307 Messages
    45 Likes Received
    Very good read. However, unfortunately this phenomenon is not limited to sports media.
  12. Blackspider214

Blackspider214 Well-Known Member

2,153 Messages
    664 Likes Received
    Exactly. Sportscenter and Sunday Countdown used to be a must for me when I was growing up (I'm 28 now). Now it is a circus and a joke. You have First Take, which is a staged argument show like Crossfire does with politics. Same as PTI. Now everyone tries to make as many jokes as possible when giving you the highlights.
  13. erod

erod Well-Known Member

4,684 Messages
    1,709 Likes Received
    This is hardly limited to ESPN. It's the media in general.

Benghazi, and the multiple controversies surrounding it, far outweighs the events and implications that Watergate had, but it's getting minimal coverage at best by the mainstream media. Journalism died many years ago. The Bieber-Selena breakup is ruled much more important than four people dying in Benghazi at the hands of the adminstration.

Likewise, ESPN is no longer about covering sports. It's about manufacturing sports drama.

More specifically, it's about manufacturing NORTHEAST sports drama. Anything south or west of Philadelphia might as well be soccer. The Lakers, Cowboys, and Peyton Manning are the lone exception, unless Brett Farve unretires.

If they could do Red Sox/Yankees/Giants/Patriots/Jets/Celtic/Knicks coverage 23 hours a day, they would.

And the media has morphed into a self-aggrandizing fraud as a whole. The media is more fixated on creating celebrities out of themselves than reporting news.

Look at Walter Cronkite. He was a devout liberal, but no one knew it back in the day. He put his job first. You don't see that anymore.
  14. arglebargle

arglebargle Well-Known Member

5,023 Messages
    139 Likes Received
    Said thing is, their jokes are usually better than their sports reporting....
  15. arglebargle

arglebargle Well-Known Member

5,023 Messages
    139 Likes Received
    Benghazi's a stalking horse: But that argument is not for here....
  16. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

7,354 Messages
    1,990 Likes Received
    ESPN is the best!!!!! ;)
  17. Yeagermeister

Yeagermeister Active Member

47,576 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    :espn:
  18. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,437 Messages
    1,457 Likes Received
    why I call it BSPN
  19. tyke1doe

tyke1doe Well-Known Member

19,256 Messages
    573 Likes Received
    It's about tweets and clicks and hits and ratings.

Is anyone surprised ESPN higher ups tell hosts to mention Tebow? Is that really surprising to anyone? Only one show (the one where they banned mentioning Tebow's name but end up mentioning it anyway) in the entire off-season did Tebow's name not be brought up as a topic.

I'm a huge Tebow fan, but I found the incessant mention of Tebow way overboard.