1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

How good is/was Mike Jenkins?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by hra8700, Apr 11, 2013.

1. hra8700

hra8700 Active Member

797 Messages
    50 Likes Received
    2008: rookie season, mostly a backup

2009: pro bowl, considered an up and coming high end corner

2010: terrible secondary, Jenkins looked to be getting burned constantly. After the season, Jerry Jones claimed that the secondary wows were due to poor safety play and that they actually had good grades on both Newman and Jenkins. Greg Cosell said that he played well this year as well.

2011: injury riddled season, Greg Cosell noted poor play, though Given injuries it seemed like people thought he played well (I remember couchscout said that teams were game planning around Jenkins). At this point everyone blamed Newman and the safeties for the poor secondary play

2012: We moved up in the draft to get Claiborne despite having Jenkins on the roster, then used Jenkins as our fourth corner. Notably before this happened people like broaddus and couchscout were debating who would be left corner, indicating they thought jenkins and carr were fairly comparable. At the time most people thought that grabbing Claiborne was a BPA decision and that it didn't necessarily mean we wouldn't have considered resigned Jenkins if the draft didn't turn out that way. Jenkins being relegated to 4th corner was thought to be a matter of having two very high end corners on the outside and Jenkins not being well suited to the slot. Again, not a statement about his skill.

Now he signs a one year deal at about 1.5 million with the raiders. You could say its a "prove it" deal, but drc and aqib talib and Michael Bennett got 1 year 5 million dollar deals.

Plus this quote from Jenkins about his role with the raiders:

"They never promised me I'd come in and play, they only promised me a chance to go out there and compete to get a position that I deserve and I think that should be for everybody."

So the question I have is, how good was Jenkins, and how good is he now? Was he just alway overrated, or has he gotten worse, and if so, why?
  2. dantheman41

dantheman41 Active Member

711 Messages
    116 Likes Received
    Good not great. Doesn't get run past. But not at all physical. Awful in run game. Doesn't make enough plays on ball. But rarely gave up big plays
  3. The Natural

The Natural Well-Known Member

4,326 Messages
    1,122 Likes Received
    How good is Jenkins? If someone said he's a better cover man corner than Carr or Claiborne I wouldn't argue. What you think of those two will say how good Jenkins is.
  4. CyberB0b

CyberB0b Well-Known Member

3,152 Messages
    1,096 Likes Received
    He is better than Mo or Carr.
  5. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

32,639 Messages
    396 Likes Received
    Good player.

Hates living in Dallas

Made no secret of that fact ........ team moved on.

It really is that simple.
  6. neosapien23

neosapien23 Well-Known Member

2,762 Messages
    52 Likes Received

No he isn't. If he was he would have gotten alot more than 1.5 million a year.
  7. The Natural

4,326 Messages
    1,122 Likes Received
    You get what the market dictates
  8. dantheman41

711 Messages
    116 Likes Received
    What aspect is better then Claiborne and Carr? Maybe his man coverage.. That's the only spot.

He's not a team player. Cares more about himself and his money then playing football.

Doesn't make plays or tackles.
  9. Chuck 54

Chuck 54 Well-Known Member

9,213 Messages
    189 Likes Received
    Excellent man-man skills...competes...best ball skills in secondary before last year...only guy who could find the ball.

Took a lot of deserved criticism for not tackling...heart was questioned...tried to prove something by being more physical the next year, but his body didn't hold up to that with bad shoulder.

We need another quality CB beyond Carr, Claiborne, and Scandrick. Three is not enough in this league.
  10. dantheman41

711 Messages
    116 Likes Received
    Your forgetting sterling Moore. Our corners are fine. We need a pass rush!
  11. neosapien23

neosapien23 Well-Known Member

2,762 Messages
    52 Likes Received

And the other free agent corners got much more. Jenkins has good cover skills when he is not sand bagging, but he sand bags alot. While it is arguable that he has better coverage skills than Carr, Carr is much better at press coverage as his press jars recievers, Carr tackles like a safety and will lay the wood, and he is the ultimate team player. Carr played safety when the team needed him to, something Jenkins would never do. On top of that Carr mentors Claiborne and shows him how to be a professional.

Its not even close, Carr is a much better overall player than Jenkins ;and he is a team leader.
  12. DCBoysfan

DCBoysfan Hardwork and Dedication Zone Supporter

4,295 Messages
    100 Likes Received
    He is an NFL starter good player.
  13. gimmesix

gimmesix Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life

8,580 Messages
    424 Likes Received
    Great in man-to-man coverage, has a feel for playing the ball. Poor when he has to play zone; seems to be a slow learner. Injuries have affected him each year since his Pro Bowl (alternate) season.

I think 2009 was the only year we got to see how good Jenkins is. Dallas used him right (man coverage) and he avoided injury.

Injuries and poor play at safety kept that Jenkins from reappearing and essentially forced Dallas to move on from him. If he can stay healthy and Oakland uses him right, the Raiders got a solid starter, possibly at least as good as the ones Dallas replaced him with.
  14. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

21,655 Messages
    1,527 Likes Received
    I think Oakland got a steal. I do wish we would have gotten something for him.
    Comp pick?
  15. The Natural

4,326 Messages
    1,122 Likes Received
    Well the other free agent corners actually got to step on the field last year, its not exactly a fair sample.
  16. FuzzyLumpkins

FuzzyLumpkins The Boognish

15,369 Messages
    777 Likes Received
    He's a good player but you don't want him playing cover 2. Time to move on.
  17. Afigueroa22

Afigueroa22 Well-Known Member

1,014 Messages
    122 Likes Received
    My only concern with Jenkins was when he did get an interception, he never seemed to do anything with it. Not a bad problem to have though.
  18. RoyTheHammer

RoyTheHammer Well-Known Member

13,741 Messages
    663 Likes Received
    I disagree. They are very close in skill. I don't think either is that much better than the other.
  19. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,654 Messages
    685 Likes Received
    You forgot to mention that between 2011 and 2012 he had major shoulder surgery and his availability to start 2012, much less stay healthy through the year, was highly in doubt.

There is little doubt in my mind that when healthy, Jenkins is a better corner than Scandrick. They dueled it out in true competition and Jenkins won. Yet Scandrick gets paid nearly 5mil per year to be our third corner.

The reason Jenkins isn't still on this team is because we've got a 50mil corner, a 6th overall pick and a 3rd corner making 5m a season. The ability to challenge for even the 3rd string job isn't even really a possibility here, so why not go somewhere you can at least get on the field to earn a better deal in a years time?
  20. Pessimist_cowboy

Pessimist_cowboy Well-Known Member

1,468 Messages
    337 Likes Received
    Solid in coverage on the outside . Terrible in the slot horrible at tackling . The real reason why the guy isn't here is because he is a horrible tackler . I'm glad he is gone we don't need soft players like him .