1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

How good is/was Mike Jenkins?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by hra8700, Apr 11, 2013.

1. Yakuza Rich

Yakuza Rich Well-Known Member

12,382 Messages
    1,405 Likes Received
    2008 we had a serious problem with players resting on their laurels. After that season, Wade stated that he had to change his ways and get tough on guys. There was a big thing about Bradie James doubting that he could do it.

In 2009 this changed as all reports were that Wade was more demanding of the players and even Bradie James stated he was surprised that Wade would change his demeanor.

Then we go into the 2010 season and Jenkins states clearly that he has no worries about his position on the team because he knows he's going to be a starter. It was readily apparent that given Wade's 'success' from 2009 (a playoff victory) that Wade wanted to go back to his old ways becasue that's what he was comfortable with as a person.

This is where my frustration with Wade lies...he chose being comfortable over changing and being successful, for the most popular team in the NFL.

We can say what we want about Garrett, but he doesn't have Wade's laid back attitude.

In fact, in the 2010 season when Wade was coaching, the defense would get continually burned on running plays towards Spencer. Spencer would use a little jump around move that is not good fundamental football because he would completely lose his gap control. But, if he gets around the blocker, he can make a tackle for a loss or get a sack. It's used by players around the league, but it's something that has to be done very sparingly.

When Wade was coaching that year, Spencer would use that move all of the time. Eventually teams caught on and would run right at him for huge gains. But, Spencer kept doing it because there was nothing Wade was going to do about it.

Once Garrett became head coach, that nonsense stopped for that year by Spencer. And while the defense stunk, it was one of the reasons why it improved so much once Garrett became head coach.

YR
  2. Frozen700

Frozen700 Well-Known Member

12,667 Messages
    1,013 Likes Received
    I wont compare Jenkins to MO..it's stupid.

But I wont say Carr or Jenkins is better then the other.

Jenkins plays the Ball better, but Carr sticks to his man like glue, and is better at disrupting routes, especially short routes.

Jenkins has the edge as far as athletic ability.

Carr has the edge as far as overall football player.

Oakland got a good corner....who can cover.

If I could rate them......Jenkins and Carr would be like an 86-89 overall

MO at this point would be about an 81 overall....not bad for a rookie
  3. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

32,681 Messages
    3,190 Likes Received
    Jenkins is or was (before the shoulder thing) a better athlete than Carr.

I'm not sure where Jenkins is at physically at this point.

But between the ears... No comparison.
  4. CyberB0b

CyberB0b Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

4,014 Messages
    1,899 Likes Received
    The only team that forked out the cash for a CB was the Cowboys. Carr is a #2-#3 CB on any other team.
  5. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

32,681 Messages
    3,190 Likes Received
    A #3 corner on another team?

Really?
  6. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

23,558 Messages
    2,429 Likes Received
    YR has a point about the attitude issues.

Like JG or not, you'll notice he has methodically gotten rid of almost every single one of those guys.
    I'm wondering if Ratliff is fully on board though. Hope so.

I'll still stick with my statement that the Raiders got a great deal on a decent CB.
    But I'm more than just fine with Mike Jenkins not being a Cowboy.
  7. 4lifecowboy

4lifecowboy Active Member

835 Messages
    54 Likes Received
    His health was one factor, but don't discount the fact that he was coming up on a contract year, and getting a CB to replace him on a rookie scale presented itself. But that was a luxury pick and could of and probably should been use at a position of need. And our secondary would have been just as productive if not more than last yeam.IMO
  8. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

33,079 Messages
    806 Likes Received
    :rolleyes:
  9. Future

Future Intramural Legend

16,552 Messages
    1,813 Likes Received
    Well we look at it differently b/c Carr and Smith are head and shoulders above Jenkins. I hate him ever since he made that business decision in the Giants game. Maybe I should get over it...but he also had the comments about how he didn't have to work as hard b/c he had a good rookie year or whatever. The guy is a bum.

[IMG]
    I'm not giving that guy a dime...
  10. Yeagermeister

Yeagermeister Active Member

47,576 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    We'll have to agree to disagree. CB was a position of need because they didn't know where Jenkins was health wise. We wouldn't have been more productive with Carr and a not healthy Jenkins.
  11. justbob

justbob The Peacemaker Staff Member

6,958 Messages
    361 Likes Received
    One more blow on Jenkins shoulder and he might have been done .. Then we would have been right back in the mess of off the street or free agent CB's
  12. Frozen700

Frozen700 Well-Known Member

12,667 Messages
    1,013 Likes Received

This post is a classic example of a cry/need for attention.

That or

You are sick, and need help.
  13. rash

rash Member

859 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    Mike has all the tools to be one of the elite corners in the league; talent wise, he is one of the best.

The problem with him has always been the drive.

Such a problem tends to metastasize...with other players inheriting this lack of ambition/drive.
  14. CyberB0b

4,014 Messages
    1,899 Likes Received
    Let's see.

49ers: #3
    Ravens: #3
    Jets: #3
    Chiefs: #2
    Texans: #2
    Falcons: #2 or #3
    Broncos: #2 or #3

We paid the man #1 money when he was the second CB on his old team.
  15. Arkyvarminter

Arkyvarminter Well-Known Member

1,119 Messages
    207 Likes Received
    I think Jenkins is a good player but he always looked to be "smallish" to me which may be why he's injured so much. He doesn't have the game that Carr has, no way. Carr is a great tackler and has a nose for the ball. Jenkins got beat too often..........
  16. Muhast

Muhast Newo

7,491 Messages
    193 Likes Received
    He would be #1 on falcons, broncos, 49ers easily.
  17. Muhast

Muhast Newo

7,491 Messages
    193 Likes Received
    Rams paid big money for finnegan. Did you completely forget that?
  18. theranchsucks

theranchsucks Well-Known Member

1,064 Messages
    369 Likes Received
    scale of 1-10 he was a 7, 8 when fully healthy but that was few and far
  19. CyberB0b

4,014 Messages
    1,899 Likes Received
    A true #1.
  20. RoyTheHammer

RoyTheHammer Well-Known Member

13,748 Messages
    669 Likes Received
    Did he get rid of the troublemakers though?

We went from guys who complained because they wanted to be more involved in the offense to guys who drive drunk and put a bunch of people's lives in danger.

Nice job, JG.