1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

How hard is it to ice skate?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by TheCowboy, Apr 4, 2011.

1. TheCowboy

TheCowboy The Teen

2,357 Messages
    392 Likes Received
    I have never skated or played hockey on ice, but I really want to this year.

Do you think there is enough time to master it by October and do you have any tips?

BTW, the league I am in (high school section) is not really good anyways and the team does not cut anyone, so that's good.
  2. Rynie

Rynie Benched

4,606 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    If you can't pick ice-skating up in 30 minutes, just quit. It's not for you.
  3. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

30,998 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Take lessons. Learning on your own makes the learning curve a a little steeper. I recommend buying the knee, gloves, a tailbone, and elbow pads and probably a helmet to start. It will give you more confidence while learning which will help you improve faster and obviously make the falls less painful.

If you are in the Dallas / Fort Worth area, there are (or were) Dr Pepper Stars centers around. They give lessons.

Also, go to their free skating sessions as often as possible. The lessons are almost a must if you want to get good enough to actually compete in hockey. Learning everything on your own with no help will be a lot longer process.
  4. Hostile

Hostile Peace Zone Supporter

118,421 Messages
    1,474 Likes Received
    I never got it. I am a human zamboni. I get sweaty and just slick the ice up when I fall.

Falling on ice is worse than falling on concrete. IMO.
  5. hipfake08

hipfake08 Well-Known Member

4,078 Messages
    51 Likes Received
    Hockey skates and figure skates are two different things.

Hockey skating is more like in line - if you can do that you should be able to skate.

Get to a rink - get skating to practice.

You should be able to skate but to the level of playing maybe not for 6 months. first skate - then skate with stick then add in the equipment.
  6. Phrozen Phil

Phrozen Phil Active Member

3,864 Messages
    12 Likes Received
    Just move up here. You'd have to learn or die. Seriously, if you really want to, pick up a pair of skates (used will do) and get some instruction. If you're a natural athlete, you might surprise yourself. Don't expect to be great right away. Prepare to wind up on your butt more than once. Many of my friends have skated before they could walk. Only continue to do it if you enjoy it. It also helps if your instructor is attractive and of the opposite sex.;)
  7. Stautner

Stautner New Member

10,690 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I've always been a pretty good athlete - can run jump, catch and throw much better than the majority of people. I can't ice skate for sht.

But I do think it's something you will be able to tell pretty quickly if you have an aptitude for it. If you are as bad as I am you will know right away. If you can pick it up pretty quickly and propel yourself around the ice at a decent pace without the constant fear of falling on your *** you probably should be able to do it and develop it. That's not to say you can "master it" by October, but you should be able to build some proficiency.
  8. CanadianCowboysFan

CanadianCowboysFan Lightning Rod

15,084 Messages
    266 Likes Received
    It is a specific skill you only get good at through a ton of practice

CCF Jr couldn't skate when he started in Hockey 2 in 2009 and now while his backward skating is not great still, his forward his amazing, his edging, turns etc are reall good. Then again, he has taken a ton of power skating, free skating etc to get to where he is at.

Get on the ice as much as you can and you should be fine.
  9. Stautner

Stautner New Member

10,690 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    By the way, do you roller skate? Not idential, but it might give you some indication.
  10. Signals

Signals Suspicious looking stranger

4,583 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    Ice skating is as easy as pie, you'll love it once you get started.

P.S. Watch out for Tonya Harding, shes a real botch. :D
  11. Warick

Warick Member

695 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    TheCowboy, I play hockey, or I TRY to play, lol, (I-league, and D2 League) in Dallas, and learned to skate a few years ago. You can learn to balance, and forward skate in a somewhat short amount of time, but you won't be very good without a lot of practice, and time. I would take some starter classes, and go to your local rink when they have public skating, and practice as much as possible.

A few tips from when I learned to skate. When you skate forward, try not to look down at your skates, but look straight ahead. Beginners have a habit of looking down at their skates, and that causes you to be off balance, and it's a pretty hard habit to break once you start. Keep your knees bent at all times. Keeping your knees bent will help you maintain your balance. I usually try to keep my knee caps parallel with the toe of my skates. Beginners tend to keep their legs stiff, and that will cause you to lose balance, and will prevent you from a good skating stride. Also, do leg strengthening excercises to help build your legs up.

When I was learning to skate, I picked up a copy of this on dvd. In addition to the many tips on skating, there are lots of other hockey tutorials such as, moving the puck, stick control, passing, receiving pass, shooting, etc.
    http://www.usahockeyskillsanddrills.com/. You can also find tutorials on youtube that will help.

If you plan to play hockey, learn with hockey skates, and not figure skates. You can pick up a cheap pair of skates to start out with at places like www.hockeymonkey.com, and www.hockeygiant.com. I bought some RBK 6k skates last season, and I really like them. I paid just under $200 for the pair, but you might want to get some cheaper skates to start out with. You can get the Reebok 4k skates for $124. If I can think of anything else, I will post up later. Hockey is a lot of fun to play, it's a great workout. After playing, you will gain a whole new appreciation for the skills that the NHL players have, and the speed of the pro game. I believe that hockey is the most difficult sport to master, but even if you aren't very good, it's still fun to play.
  12. Gemini Dolly

Gemini Dolly Well-Known Member

6,387 Messages
    535 Likes Received
    I can only go one direction-forward. Anything else and Im needing a medic.
  13. kristie

kristie Well-Known Member

7,535 Messages
    110 Likes Received
    i used to live in alaska when i was a kid where this is very common in winter time. there used to be an ice rink at my school so seeing kids skating there during recess was normal. of course, i couldn't get into it because i would fall on my butt a lot.
  14. junk

junk I've got moxie

9,279 Messages
    207 Likes Received
    How often can you get on the ice?

If you're trying to play in a competitive, high school aged league, it might be a stretch to pick it up by October. Skating is one thing. You've also got to figure out stick handling, passing, shooting and the basic rules of the game.

Is this a check hockey league? If so, learn to keep your head up and be prepared to get hit quite a bit.

Having said all that, you should definitely give it a shot. It's a great game and great exercise.
  15. TheCowboy

TheCowboy The Teen

2,357 Messages
    392 Likes Received
    I do have a street hockey set with an actual stick. Maybe I can work out the basics there and try to tranfer that to the ice.

Just a thought this could be interesting because I don't really see big guys playing hockey. I'm 6'0 260" (not all body fat, trust me lol)

The lessons if I do sign up for them are 45 minutes every friday for a month and a half I think, but I'm not too sure.

Thanks to all the replies though!
  16. SkinsandTerps

SkinsandTerps Redskins Forever

7,384 Messages
    17 Likes Received
    Went skating once about 20 years ago. Didn't fall so I was happy. I am sure with some practice I could have been good at it.
    But at my age now...I will just pass.
  17. UnoDallas

UnoDallas Benched

5,913 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    good athlete

but I never had the ankle strength to skate in the blades

always skated on the the sides of the skates

so never even tired it again
  18. Vtwin

Vtwin Power and Performance

1,896 Messages
    58 Likes Received
    Basic skating is pretty much intuitive and common sense. I don't think you will gain much by repeated lessons. Just get out there and skate. watch others who have good technique. Roller blades are a pretty good way to practice too. Same technique more or less. Practice skating with your head up right from the start. This is essential to playing hockey and you will have a tendency to look at your feet or focus directly in front of you in the beginning.

Have fun. Hockey is a blast!

If you've never played hockey before do not underestmate the cardio conditioning you will need.
  19. hipfake08

hipfake08 Well-Known Member

4,078 Messages
    51 Likes Received
    Yes. Lessons at the rink are nice as after you finish there is usually an open skate time.

Get out there and put in ice time. just work on start and stop. and keep moving your feet for direction.

Funny i had not skated in 20 years or so - took my kids - had my old skates - they cleaned off the edges - 10 minutes it it was as if I never stopped.
    Played with my friends kids a few years back same again - first 5 minutes shakey turns then good to go.
  20. Warick

Warick Member

695 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    The skating class will help teach you the basics, and allow the instructor to keep an eye on you, and correct any mistakes/bad habits that may occur. This is important because if you don't, you will pick up bad tendencies that will be hard to correct later. Also, if you go to the rink, and can talk to people who have taken classes, have them recommend a good instructor. Some instructors are really good, then you have some that aren't very good at all. Then, get lots of practice at the public skates. If you already have your hockey gear, and your local rink has "stick & puck" times, then try to attend those if possible. The cool thing about stick & puck is, there will be more experienced players there, and a lot of them (at least here in Dallas), are very helpful to noobs. I learned quite a bit from more experienced players, and they were happy to help. Once you get some experience, and feel somewhat comfortable skating, and playing in your gear, then you can go to some drop in games.

Something that will help you when you are away from the rink. If you have a hockey stick, and a puck, or golf ball (if you have carpet) work the puck, back and forth on your stick blade while watching tv. This will help you get used to having control of the puck on your stick without staring down at the blade. Doing this in a game while skating will allow you to survey the ice for teammates that are open for a pass, or open lanes to the net. It will also help you keep better balance on your skates since you wont be looking down all the time.